Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas - Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Dedicated To Gamers put up a <a href="http://www.dedicatedtogamers.co.uk/#/preview-fallout-new-vegas/4542984249" target="_blank">preview of RPG of the Year 2010</a>, Fallout: New Vegas.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>One major addition to the Fallout 3 template comes in the form of New Vegas' &ldquo;Hardcore Mode&rdquo; which can be toggled on and off from the menus at any time by the player and will deliver a more intense and sense of realism than the standard mode of play. Only the brave will survive, since Hardcore Mode tasks players to keep hydrated and remain free from starvation in the perilous desert plains, with ammunition also having weight, healing having a more delayed effect, and crippled limbs only available to be healed if your the medicine skill is of a high enough level or medical equipment is available to you. No doubt only a mode for the most intrepid explorers and those who are nearing Fallout: New Vegas's increased level-cap of 30 (from Fallout 3's 20- although this was increased through the &ldquo;Broken Steel&rdquo; expansion).</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Only the brave will survive.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15485">RPGWatch</a></p>

Silellak

Cipher
One major addition to the Fallout 3 template comes in the form of New Vegas' “Hardcore Mode” which can be toggled on and off from the menus at any time by the player
:decline:

It's not "hardcore" if you can fucking opt-out halfway through the game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
They said the same about the last one.

Bullshit. The last one seemed more like you: A sinister monk trawling(trolling?)through the interwebz, looking for rageworthy articles to post. Darth Fuckwit, is just Darth Fuckwit.

Silellak said:
One major addition to the Fallout 3 template comes in the form of New Vegas' “Hardcore Mode” which can be toggled on and off from the menus at any time by the player
:decline:

Don't be pedantic. They had to put the option in for all those fags that would have whined about not being able to switch it off when they got raped somewhere and didn't want to start a whole new game with the option switched off. If they didn't put it in, they would have had to anyway in the first patch.

Silellak

Cipher
commie said:
Don't be pedantic. They had to put the option in for all those fags that would have whined about not being able to switch it off when they got raped somewhere and didn't want to start a whole new game with the option switched off. If they didn't put it in, they would have had to anyway in the first patch.
If they really want to appeal to "those fags", they should consider offering a one-time "opt out" toggle, rather than making it something you can turn on and off at any time.

Honestly, both options are stupid and full of :decline:, but at least a single-use toggle would be a bit less of a :decline:.

kanenas

Educated
Silellak said:
commie said:
If they really want to appeal to "those fags", they should consider offering a one-time "opt out" toggle, rather than making it something you can turn on and off at any time.

Honestly, both options are stupid and full of :decline:, but at least a single-use toggle would be a bit less of a :decline:.
Maybe they are going to have an achievement for teh trully hardcore? :pete:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hardcore mode that is easier than normal 10 years ago. And you can turn it off any time your character is starving. Nice job Obsidian.
What else to expect from people who can't even make ironsights right - there is still a goddamn crosshair even with ironsights.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
MetalCraze said:
Hardcore mode that is easier than normal 10 years ago. And you can turn it off any time your character is starving. Nice job Obsidian.
It's still more hardcore than most "RPGs" of this generation. Baby steps man, baby steps.

denizsi

Arcane
Doesn't matter. It probably will still suck. Over at Obsidian, they always get a few things right and everything else wrong.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone recall whether the ammo/equipment weight mechanic is going to be applied to all NPC's in Hardcore mode as well, or does it only apply to the PC? Seems likely not, since there's apparently a magic insta-switch...

Drakron

Arcane
Why should it be applied to NPCs? most NPCs are "enemies" and so are simply outfitted to fight the player (or other NPCs/Creatures) with almost nothing else (besides possible quest items).

The other NPCs are quest giver that NATURALLY have quest rewards in their inventory so having weight applied could potential create issues.

Also hydration is another thing that even if "realistic" simply is a hassle, like rations ... "fun" until you get fed up dealing with it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Ah, hell, I'm going to pre-empt the answer and swallow that hook anyway.

Drakron said:
Why should it be applied to NPCs? most NPCs are "enemies" and so are simply outfitted to fight the player (or other NPCs/Creatures) with almost nothing else (besides possible quest items).

It "should" apply to all NPC's as well for the same reason it's in the game in the first place: to provide some semblance of realism. I appreciate realism in most of my games and I hope you do, too. The notion that most of the NPC's are just cardboard cutout targets and therefore get to cheat with their ammo certainly does not appeal to the hardcore gamer in me.

The other NPCs are quest giver that NATURALLY have quest rewards in their inventory so having weight applied could potential create issues.

The notion that all the quest-giving NPC's are just that -- they are there to provide nothing more than being a quest/item kiosk and shouldn't be treated as anything but -- also offends the highbrow, evolved gamer in me, a.k.a. Codexer.

Also hydration is another thing that even if "realistic" simply is a hassle, like rations ... "fun" until you get fed up dealing with it.

Age-old debate, not going to go full WoT on this one, but suffice it to say that if you're going to apply weight to ammo, calling it hardcore mode, NOT requiring hunger and thirst seems kind of a waste, no? Out in the Wastes; get it? I will certainly be digging it. I actually think it's going to be an exciting aspect of the game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The only game I know of where NPC's have non-infinite ammo is DX(granted, I don't play a lot of shooters, and there's probably more out there). So until they get a set amount of ammo, applying weight to NPC's is meaningless.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaedar said:
The only game I know of where NPC's have non-infinite ammo is DX(granted, I don't play a lot of shooters, and there's probably more out there). So until they get a set amount of ammo, applying weight to NPC's is meaningless.

Don't they even run out of ammo in Fallout 3? Not to mention obviously the older ones. Granted I only played a little of F3 vanilla, but with the mods, the NPC's tended to switch to melee weapons after a while and didn't seem to have ammo on them afterwards.

Drakron

Arcane
I am not being sarcastic.

Crispy said:
It "should" apply to all NPC's as well for the same reason it's in the game in the first place: to provide some semblance of realism. I appreciate realism in most of my games and I hope you do, too. The notion that most of the NPC's are just cardboard cutout targets and therefore get to cheat with their ammo certainly does not appeal to the hardcore gamer in me.

There are acceptable departures from realism.

Also most NPCs are enemies ... like Raiders were your only interaction with them is combat.

As I said, they are outfitted for combat only and so being encumbered is unlikely unless they had incorrect stats for their gear.

Now, the NPCs that are NOT enemies should be encumbered for what purpose? There is no point unless you want for them to have rooted to the ground or move slower.

The notion that all the quest-giving NPC's are just that -- they are there to provide nothing more than being a quest/item kiosk and shouldn't be treated as anything but -- also offends the highbrow, evolved gamer in me, a.k.a. Codexer.

That is what they are, their FUNCTION.

If you impair their function with "realism" then what we have is something that does not work, ALL aspects have to be balanced or you end up with a very flawed game.

Age-old debate, not going to go full WoT on this one, but suffice it to say that if you're going to apply weight to ammo, calling it hardcore mode, NOT requiring hunger and thirst seems kind of a waste, no? Out in the Wastes; get it? I will certainly be digging it. I actually think it's going to be an exciting aspect of the game.

Ultimate the question is "what does it bring"? ammo with height means you cannot hoard tons of ammunition and limited ammo is not unheard on RPGs or FPS as it forces the player to be conservative with its resources.

Food and water simply brings a "game over" timer you can delay or reset by using certain items, granted that the HP does something similar but the HP bar is not a timer.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
MetalCraze said:
What else to expect from people who can't even make ironsights right - there is still a goddamn crosshair even with ironsights.

cry_baby.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MetalCraze said:

Ironsights are for sodomites and geriatric bridge clubs anyway.

dr. one

Augur
Silellak said:

so? unless you´re for some reason concerned about how someone else chooses to play a single player game, the toggle shouldn´t be an issue per se.
of course, such toggle implicates the hardcore mode implementation isn´t particularly "deep" or well "balanced", but that´s more-or-less a problem that mars all games which employ difficulty settings.
on the other hand, and admittedly that´s most probably a stretch on my side, the presence of a toggle might´ve allowed the mode being made more unforgiving, recent mainstream-ish environment and all.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Silellak said:

Didn't they earlier say that it is going to be a one timer? That "those fags" can turn it on and off at any point, but once off, there's no going back without a new game. That pussies will stay pussy unless starting anew.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Drakron said:
Also most NPCs are enemies ... like Raiders were your only interaction with them is combat.

That's only because they pretty much just wanted to kill you and nothing else, therefore they were labeled simple raiders and deserved nothing more than a shotgun blast to the face in turn. Standard stuff. That still doesn't mean they should be able to cheat with their ammo weight (amount) since I can't if I choose Hardcore mode. Not fair.

As I said, they are outfitted for combat only and so being encumbered is unlikely unless they had incorrect stats for their gear.

The reason I asked about it and my thinking behind the whole thing (which really should be obvious) is that if I'm going to be limited in weight (ammo), then I'm going to have to utilize additional tactics out in the field. One such tactic will be to hunker down and play the smart use of ammo thing. Thus, I'd like to know if their ammo is going to be limited as well. Otherwise, that's... pretty stupid then.

Now, the NPCs that are NOT enemies should be encumbered for what purpose? There is no point unless you want for them to have rooted to the ground or move slower.

I'd like to think that the role of speaking NPC's and simple raiders is conceptually more closer to one another; that they MIGHT both be capable of parlay/interaction. I realize this is a bit farfetched, but I can dream. Hardcore = semblance of realism, interactive NPC's should be equipped similar to me and raiders, makes everything more believable. Don't see why that can't work.

That is what they are, their FUNCTION.

If you impair their function with "realism" then what we have is something that does not work, ALL aspects have to be balanced or you end up with a very flawed game.

Your point is valid but it speaks to the design aspects of RPG's in general, and not to NV's announced hardcore mode. I want to know if the odds are stacked against me alone, unfairly. I also want to at least hope that some NPC's will be capable of picking up a gun and joining me, and since they do in F3 and many other RPG's, there's a reasonable chance they will this time, too. They walk, they talk, they have weight limits and thus limited ammo. Doesn't this sound like more fun to you?

Ultimate the question is "what does it bring"? ammo with height means you cannot hoard tons of ammunition and limited ammo is not unheard on RPGs or FPS as it forces the player to be conservative with its resources.

Food and water simply brings a "game over" timer you can delay or reset by using certain items, granted that the HP does something similar but the HP bar is not a timer.

I am envisioning a much more satisfying gaming experience. I am envisioning having to more carefully strategize about just about everything in the game, from my choices in skills (can't heal crippled limbs without medical knowledge), to my choices in weapons (much more ammo lying around for this gun vs. this other, more powerful gun), to my choices for how far out I go during each exploring session (can't out-distance your provisions).

These kinds of things get my juices flowing. Where do I sleep? Can I store stuff there? Should I really take this skill over that one, knowing its in-game consequences could literally kill me (assuming several stupid choices in a row). Where's my next safe spot? What's over my shoulder? Don't pick up every frying pan in the game. You get the idea.

I can see how specifically hunger and thirst could get annoying, and again this is an old, oft-argued point, but I'm really looking forward to its introduction into a post-apoc, large open world that NV is promising. I'll be turning Hardcore on at the start, and I'll be enjoying the game more for it, I think, because it makes good sense in a game that models survival in the first place. Hope I'm not wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom