Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info What Will Avadon be Like?

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Spiderweb Software

<p>Spiderweb's Jeff Vogel laid out some of the <a href="http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/08/avadon-developer-diary-2-what-sort-of.html" target="_blank">key decisions</a> that went into the design of <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html" target="_blank"><strong>Avadon: The Black Fortress</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>Finally, choices. I think the most important quality of my games, the thing that adds interest and keeps me interested in writing them, is the ability to make choices that affect the ending. Of course, I'm not the only developer that does this. Bioware is better at it than I am. But it is still something very important to me.<br /><br />Happily, now that I have the setting and theme, the choice comes naturally. Avadon has almost limitless power, and it can use that power however it wants. Sometimes it uses it for the good of the land, but sometimes corruption sinks in. Avadon has many enemies. The player's choice will be whether to serve Avadon or reject it. Whether to work for Redbeard, master of Avadon, or fight him. Or even plot to replace him.<br /><br />Choices like this make writing a game much easier. Whenever I design an area and the conversations in it, it provides me a North Star to sail toward. I always skew the choices and conversations toward that final choice, the final destination.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

ortucis

Prophet
Avadon is a place or a guy (deity maybe?)? :/

I should probably read more about this.. umm, later.

Elzair

Cipher
Jesus Christ, he can't even put some goddamn background music in his games? Jeez . . .

AnalogKid

Scholar
kanenas said:
This is different than Molyneux talk? how?
Well, it's not totally deranged gobbledy-gook bullshit, mostly. Don't understand the Bio reach-around there, maybe he's just trying to get search traffic? I have never really gotten into Vogel's games, but they definitely give a very "traditional" party-tactical combat experience coupled with decent faction/plot c&c type stuff. I guess for me it's just a bit TOO MUCH of the same stuff. Take all his games (what, 9, 10, 11?) and make them 1 game, 2 at the most, and I'd definitely be playing the shit out of those distilled games.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I got excited about Avadon but then I recalled that it won't have stat-based dialogues and I lost my interest in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom