Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Our Lionheart review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader; Reflexive Entertainment

It's a slow day, so everything goes, including a new <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=98>review</a> of <b>Lionheart</b>. Keep in mind that it was written before the collapse of the Interplay websites, so the links are now purely decorative.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The fact that Reflexive managed to screw up even the items was the biggest surprise of all. I mean, how difficult could it be to introduce tons of cool looking items so that people have something to look at when they are bored with gameplay? Yet Reflexive once again proved that everything is possible if you try hard enough. The items were as boring as the gameplay itself. Where were the wondrous, wicked, magical, awe-inspiring, cleverly constructed, glowing in the dark items? Many players played through most of the game using items they got at the beginning. That's gotta tell you something. Even Fallout, a game focused on role-playing, featured a nice selection of items becoming readily available as you progress through the game. Diablo 2 turned items gathering into a cult that Dungeon Siege followed. Bioware redefined the concept of ph4t l3wt in DnD. Reflexive either figured that the items are overrated or seriously overestimated their random item generators. As a result the game became even more boring. </blockquote>
<br>
Yep, it sucked that bad. Discuss!

taks

Liturgist
why is that trans? i never made it that far, nor do i plan to... please spoil!!! :)

taks

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Main character has immunity to fire. The dragon has two attacks - fire and melee, but he can only pull off one at a time. Main character gets ripped up quickly in melee, so he runs up every time the dragon breathes fire, lands a hit or two, and runs off, and repeats over and over. The dragon has a ton of hit points. Fifteen minutes pass. Dragon dies.

I must admit however that I used my dad's save game. I never made it this far either.

taks

Liturgist
so if you have a PC not immune to fire??? or does it just somehow work out that's what happens?

i remember that you could only pick ONE type of spell to be good in, but nearly EVERY creature had some type of immunity, all different... i.e. no matter what, if you played a mage, you were going to run into something that you could not kill... grrrrr. it was as if you went to an area and there was a sign "fire immunities ahead, beware!" the next area said "electrical immunities ahead, beware!" and so on...

taks

Fireblade

Erudite
Yeah the final fight in that game was utterly retarded.

So was most of the later-game stuff leading up to it.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:
The dragon has two attacks - fire and melee,

are you sure ? i could swear it had some sort of lighting attack that kept stunning me (maybe it was the melee attack that stunned me ?) , i killed it stunning with thunder clap + melee, repeat, a trully worthy ending for such an anoying repetitive game

Reklar

Liturgist
It's too bad they botched Lionheart since I was pretty interested in the setting from the moment I heard about it. Fortunately I read reviews on it before opening my wallet and shelling out money for the shipped wreck known as Lionheart. I guess Fallout 2 was BIS's last good game and Interplay's last shot as a venerated cRPG maker.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
No, but Lionheart and Fallout are the only two licenses that BIS can really use. Well, I guess they can use Dark Alliance minus the D&D and BG names, as well.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's a pity. Lionheart was something I was looking forward too when it was finally announced. It wasn't until later that Moron indicators and a whole lot of other bullshit made me change my mind.

Voss

Erudite
Don't forget that the reflexive devs would come here and blatantly lie about things.

"No, no, the demo is not a good example of what the final game will be like"

Git.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Voss said:
Don't forget that the reflexive devs would come here and blatantly lie about things.

"No, no, the demo is not a good example of what the final game will be like"

Git.

Well they were correct. The demo was better than the actual game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I got the SPOILER false lance and than the game started to be extremely retarded. After Toulouse I only managed a few dungeon levels. It was horrible - not being able to rest and with almost no healing potions, while the healing spells were utterly useless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom