Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review Blast from the past: Lionheart Review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Interplay; Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader; Reflexive Entertainment

Yep. I said I'll do it and 3 months later I finally did it. So, since you're all obviously dying to know what kinda game Lionheart was, without further ado, I present you The Lionheart Review!

Lionheart wasn't a good game by any standards. There was too much click fest combat to make it a good adventure RPG. The combat itself was poorly implemented and thus failed to meet the standards of today's action RPGs, and Lionheart definitely didn't qualify to be an RPG in a role-playing kind of way. So, why write a review if the game clearly sucked, you ask? Lionheart should have been a very good, if not a great game. It took a lot of talent and skills to bury that promise. Let's follow each choice and see where and how it went wrong.​

Lionheart is one of the things that I "don't get". I would really like to see the design doc for this one.

DemonKing

Arcane
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Reflexive were not paid towards the end of the project (which wouldn't surprise me), which may account for some of the problems in the later protion of the game.

I finished the game - for what I paid it seemed pretty good value since It took me a couple of months to finish it seeing as I could only play for about an hour a day before I got bored. My biggest complaints were the useless NPCS, the monotomy of the combat and the second-to-last area which was virtually impossible unless you were a heavy missile/magic user (of course I had a melee master).

For it to be Black Isle's last PC product is a disgrace.

feta

Novice
I think it kinda becomes obvious that the funds run dry after barcelona.
It is indeed an entirely different game. I was puzzled with the transition (wtf, am I playing the same game?).

This game had an opportunity to become a good one...

EDIT: omg, this is a forum reply. I just performed a naughty thread necromancy while I was searching for the damn indie games in the reviews.
Point me to them dammit or I will comment on every single review in codex :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom