Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart on Being Hardcore

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Feargus Urquhart

<p>Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5943/taking_back_fallout.php" target="_blank">explained to Gamasutra</a> that when it comes to hardcore, not everyone knows the score.</p>
<blockquote>From my perspective, there's a bit of a narrative here, where you guys made the original super-hardcore Fallout games -- those were not forgiving games. Then Bethesda&nbsp; gets the series, and people on the hardcore fan sites like No Mutants Allowed complain about it. Then you guys get it again, and you're saying things like, "We're putting in a hardcore mode!"<br /><br />FU: Right. Yes. There were discussions early on, like, "Do we make stimpacks outside of hardcore mode?" That is, even when you're just playing on normal mode, maybe that's the one big change we make: stimpacks actually do take time to apply, no matter what. No more instant stimpack. There was a lot of talk about that, but in the end -- it's funny that it comes down to this one little thing -- it would just be too different.<br /><br />I think with a change like that, people would get it and think, "What's going on?" They would charge into battle and get their ass killed, going, "Wait! No! Argh!" The [separate hardcore mode] is better for those people, and it's also a great thing for someone who wants to play through the game again. They can play through the game, or a good portion of the game, and decide, "Okay. Now I want this to be a real challenge." Because it can really change how you play.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Zomg

Arbiter
That hardcore mode shit is Troika talk. Sales disappointment talk

It's like you guys don't want to move 5m+ units

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
From the makers of the award winning Dungeon Siege III...

comes the most super-hardcore game of the decade...

FALLOUT : NEW VEGAS !

It's so hardcore, it will make you cry.

MetalCraze

Arcane
where you guys made the original super-hardcore Fallout games
Eh? Obsidian made original supa-hardkkkore Fallout games? Did I miss something?

"Do we make stimpacks outside of hardcore mode?" That is, even when you're just playing on normal mode, maybe that's the one big change we make: stimpacks actually do take time to apply, no matter what. No more instant stimpack

This is very hardcore

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
KalosKagathos said:
those were not forgiving games
:roll:
Not forgiving? Deaths were mainly due to random criticals and due to throwing large random encounters on a 1-3 man party.
None of these had anything with being unforgiving.
Stuff like that would be unforgiving if there was a way to avoid it like travelling with heavily guarded caravans and or a reliable way to quickly and discretely dispose of enemies.

chzr

Scholar
No more instant stimpack

imho if they want to increase difficulty, it's not about insta stimpacks but about RARE stimpacks :<

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
F:NV will be so hardcore you'll believe a baby can cry.

This game is going to suck. Hopefully it doesn't negatively impact the coming release of Dungeon Siege III though!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought it was already established that Fallout 3 is hardcore and inaccessible to console players because
a) there's a lot of dialogue to read
b)a lot of just hacking computers and looking through things like "VAT"

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If it's even half as epic as the FO3 LP he did I'm all for it.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Ruprekt said:
I couldn't play Fallout 3 without a stimpack mod.
DAMN THAT'S HARDCORE! FTW!! BOYEEEEEZE!!!

I can't believe I'mma type this, but I'm actually more interested in DS3 than F:NV, too. I should probably give Obsidian a chance, but Oblivion and F3 were so incomprehensibly unplayable for me that I just don't care about another TPS with pseudo-stats. At least maybe DS3 will be good for what it is. :P

Rhalle

Magister
Zomg said:
That hardcore mode shit is Troika talk. Sales disappointment talk

It's like you guys don't want to move 5m+ units

:lol:

The Todd

Novice
Xor said:
F:NV will be so hardcore you'll believe a baby can cry.

toddhead.png
Babies are fuckin' funny, bro!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom