Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Drakensang 3 will be a Browser Game

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Drakensang; RPG Codex

<p>After Radon Labs failed to secure further funding, went insolvent and was <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44789" target="_blank">acquired by BigBoint GmbH</a> (<span class="postbody">worldwide leader in browser-based video games) some feared that Drakensang 3 was going to be a browser game too. </span></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><span class="postbody">Turns out this was correct, <a href="http://www.pcgames.de/Drakensang-Am-Fluss-der-Zeit-PC-220388/News/Drakensang-Online-via-Twitter-bestaetigt-Prototyp-sieht-super-aus-765944/" target="_blank">PCGames.de reports</a> that BigPoint has revealed Drakensang Online. If you cannot into german, <a href="http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&amp;sl=de&amp;tl=en&amp;u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgames.de%2FDrakensang-Am-Fluss-der-Zeit-PC-220388%2FNews%2FDrakensang-Online-via-Twitter-bestaetigt-Prototyp-sieht-super-aus-765944%2F" target="_blank">here's a google translation</a> that might or might not be helpful.</span></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><span class="postbody">Will they release the english version of Drakensang 2 eventually? I wouldn't bet on it.<br /></span></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15426">RPGWatch</a></p>

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, well.

I know that they were working on their engine (Nebula 3, not a bad engine, really) being able to run in or via browser (like PoisonVille or that FreeRealms game from Sony), so this is not really a surprise.
Maybe they can manage to make a somewhat bearable online game. Maybe...

Would be cool if it would be somehow like the NWN persistant worlds. Only bigger.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
who knows, it could be good :?

one can hope, there is some potential in browser games.. As long as rules of the original games (pen an paper) is followed..

But I find that this is sad news, liked the two first installments

Elzair

Cipher
All you Nazis out there, tell me how good Drakensang 2 turned out to be?

Cenobyte

Prophet
Much better than the first game, except if you want 10,000 possible party members in your RPG.

Mortmal

Arcane
Certainly , it will turn out to be an excellent browser game like : http://us.bigpoint.com/games/farmerama/

well more like :
http://us.bigpoint.com/games/fearlesswarrior/

You will love micro transactions! Ah you were so proud of not removing games from the inventory, you never bought an ultima, you never paid for a black isle game, you let troika go bankrupt :M
Now behold the future of gaming,; browser games, farmville, zero gameplay and microtransactions!

Luzur

Good Sir
Mortmal said:
Certainly , it will turn out to be an excellent browser game like : http://us.bigpoint.com/games/farmerama/

well more like :
http://us.bigpoint.com/games/fearlesswarrior/

You will love micro transactions! Ah you were so proud of not removing games from the inventory

only from Oblivion and onwards.

you never bought an ultima

i bought them all.

you never paid for a black isle game

never pirated from them, at all.

you let troika go bankrupt

nope, bought their game.

Now behold the future of gaming,; browser games, farmville, zero gameplay and microtransactions!

i guess its up to indie devs to take up the flag then.

I even bought Ultima IX....Silly move that, and it didn't make a difference anyway.

However, I may be part of the decline with Black Isle; I never bought Lionheart.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
For being such a pirate in the last few years I too can proudly say that I never pirated a BIS game. Why would you? In those days you got a big box with a great ring bound manual and maps, things that now get bundled only with 'collector's editions'!

I did pirate Ultima's though, but that was only a few years ago when I discovered DosBox. I never had access to the Ultima series back in the early 90's when they were still being sold.

Hope they translate Drakensang 2 though. I liked the first one actually. Shame Radon died.

Phelot

Arcane
I was still waiting for the English version of the second game. Plus isn't the expansion coming out soon?

Anyways, the first game was rather mediocre, but it seemed to have a lot of potential. Oh well

Elzair

Cipher
I still haven't played Drakensang. Does it contain as much trash combat as DA:O?

Mortmal

Arcane
As much trash combats ? As much if not more and less strategic even.No idea about drakensang 2 as its in german havent played it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... Drakensang vs Dragon Age...

One thing about this eternal conflict can definitely be said:
Drakensang is much more nerdy.

It's a lot more like one would imagine an evening of RoA PnP than Dragon Age is like one would imagine an evening of dark & gritty fantasy PnP.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
VoD told me that Drakensang is more hardcore than DA:O (mostly because of the rather tricky The Dark Eye rules).

Still haven't played it myself, though, the nazi might be lying.

Did I really tell you that? DS more hardcore than DA? Somehow I doubt that because it sounds pretty retarded. As if you've pulled it out of your ass. But anyway, I'm too tired to write an essay about Drakensang so a few short points have to suffice:

- Drakensang 2 is an improvement over Drakensang 1
- both are worth playing
- I played DS1 1 time and never finished the second run, pretty much like Divinity 2
- I played DA 3 times for comparison
- Drakensang 2 I finsihed twice
- KotC I finished 5 times not counting ironman attempts

That should give you an impression of the quality/replay value according to my opinion. Taking into account the massive stream of proper RPGs released nowadays (in the last 4 years, Indies aside, what? NWN2, DA and the Drakensangs, what else?) there's no reason why you wouldn't check those games out. Drakensang kinda tries to be NWN2 with TDE rules, I prefer NWN2, others prefer Drakensang. But Drakensang has a proper RPG char system, I even read on the Codex it's too complex!

made

Arcane
Who cares, just play it in German. You're not missing anything and can pretend the dialogue doesn't suck.

If there is an English version of Drakensang 2, it'll probably come about thanks to fan work. Did anyone who paid attention to this actually think anything else was going to happen? Unless a buying company starts making statements about wanting to 'expand their horizons' or 'try new ventures', you can be sure they'll bastardize whatever they just bought to fit with their regular projects. Case in point, Drakensang will be used to push their next round of web game shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought the first Drakensang, was okay but nothing special. Torrented the second one and liked it better, it was a sure improvement on the first game. Would've liked to see what they could come up with if they had more time, but meh. At least they weren't as awesome as Troika, so it's not that great a loss. Still, a shame, they did have potential.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JarlFrank said:
I bought the first Drakensang, was okay but nothing special. Torrented the second one and liked it better, it was a sure improvement on the first game. Would've liked to see what they could come up with if they had more time, but meh. At least they weren't as awesome as Troika, so it's not that great a loss. Still, a shame, they did have potential.

Well that's the problem. Seems that each developer with potential is dying quicker than the last. Party RPG's from non-Bioware are rare enough from non-indie sources as it is.

Funny, how in the past I welcomed the 'lone hero' RPG's as a break from the tinkering with party RPG's, but now almost every RPG is a 'lone hero' type and I'm missing a god party crawler.

drexciya

Augur
JarlFrank said:
In one area they are a reference for other game developers; creating stable games. I've played through Drakensang 2 for the second time recently and it has never crashed at all. It's sad that this is a rare thing in current PC gaming but it's a fact. Also there aren't any noteworthy bugs at all.

I agree that the first game was flawed, but the second one is much better. More skill-checks and some different approaches for certain quests. It takes some time to properly understand the character development but that's the whole point. I like the character system especially since it has become more complex compared to part 1. You now have more freedom to build your characters.

I would have loved to see a more open-ended variation of the game where you can choose all your party members. There's more than enough lore in this world where they can get ideas from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom