Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News IPLY post report doom

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Herve Caen; Interplay

Since the <A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040625/def023_1.html">earnings report</a> where <b>Herve Caen</b> announced he wanted to make an MMORPG out of <a href="Http://www.interplay.com/fallout">Fallout</a>, <a href="http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a>'s stock as been restored to the original <A href="http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=IPLY.OB">IPLY.OB</a> we've grown to know and love since they were delisted from NASDAQ.
<br>
<br>
However, here's the fun part. The stock is now only worth <b>2.5 cents per share</b>, yes, record low. It also means <b>Herve Caen</b> has lost over $200,000 on his personal stock purchase from April 17th. Meanwhile, other investors on the <A href="http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=IPLY">Raging Bull IPLY Forum</a> are having lots of fun with their losses. Take, for example, <A href="http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=IPLY&read=1036">this guy</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The only thing still keeping me in, other than pure stubbornness, is that Herve is a weasel and a snake. Herve's back is against the wall, and he is heavily invested in Interplay. I'm thinking that with the help of SG Capital that he'll be able to figure out something that is in his best interest, which hopefully is also in other shareholder's interest. It could even be selling off all of the licenses, perhaps bringing in enough money to pay off their bills and make a small profit. I can't imagine Herve going down without a fight when he has 9 million personal shares. It's doubtful that whatever he does will be successful, but I'm betting he has one last card to play, hopefully providing enough time for us investors to earn back a little money and to get out then. </blockquote>
<br>
That's from a guy who bought 600k shares at 12 cents per share, our old pal <b>frymuchan</b>. Ah, fun. T-minus-One-Month to death, baby.
<br>
<br>

When Herves great ideas are announcing F.O.O.L. to try and save his company I don't see how this guy can have any faith in him pulling out of this death spiral.

It won't be long until all the I.P.'s are going like cd's in a garage sale.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
This Frymuchan guy should have really sold when the stock shot up to 4.5 after Herve's little announcement. If that wasn't a chance to cut his losses, I don't know what is.

Seven

Erudite
600000 shares at 12 cents a share is $72000, right? Well this guy's too much of a fucktard to have $72 dollars to his name, so I think he's just bull shitting. Who'd be stupid enough to buy Iply stock any ways (especially after they got delisted)?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I just thought of something, and I cant edit, but what if these people were really pretending to be investors, and the real investors were in comas for the last three or four years, and these people are just playing a prank.

Rosh

Erudite
Never underestimate the stupidity of Interplay investors.

Never.

Speaking of frymuchan, here's more:

He has Exalted, which should be near completion, in case he decides to sell one of his big name franchises, and then hope to stay afloat on money from delivering the Exalted gold master to Vivendi.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yup, frymuchan is a total moron. If Exalted was near completion, there would be marketting for the title. Notice there's no screenshots anywhere, no previews, no interviews, nothing about this title anywhere on the internet.

Where does he think Exalted is being made, anyway? Interplay has no home, and everything is packed and stored. All the developers were told to go for unemployment, so I seriously doubt any of them are working. You can't work on a game for a company and collect unemployment. If you're working, you're employed and collecting a salary from that company.

Here's more fun from frymuchan:

I've been watching the volume and pps today. I was glad that the stock bumped back up today.

Yeah, it bumped back up less than half a cent to 2.95 cents per share. Time to break out the champagne!

Looks like a bunch of people dumped their shares yesterday after seeing earnings and now the price is beginning to stabilize.

Stabilizing at less than 3 cents versus 2.5 cents is a good thing?

I'm figuring that if Interplay was right about to fold, that Herve will first start selling off chunks of shares, in 200-300 thousand chunks, every couple of days, so as not to cause a complete panic, but to recoup some of his investment before they go under.

He can't. If he's selling off his shares and the company goes bust sometime in July because it runs out of money, that's insider trading. He gets to go to jail for that. That's why you'll most likely never see that.

I'll be watching for that kind of activity, but so far, things are stabilizing.

This is like saying Well, at least the plane is no longer losing altitude after it's crashed in to the ground.

I've read on some other sites a few other possible financing options for Interplay.

Who would finance Interplay at this point? There's basically no company there. There's no offices, no employees that can produce anything for the company, the company has no credit line, and it's in massive debt with all the overdue bills, suits, and fines. If Herve had any financing opportunities left, I'd say he would have used them by now.

I'm betting Herve will exhaust all options before giving up on his 400,000 dollar personal investment in Interplay.

You're also losing that bet.

Rosh

Erudite
The most amusing point of it all is that he says it with the conviction of a redneck boasting about their "ufo encounter".

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vival said:
frymuchan's desperate mantra: I want to believe.

I just think the best part is he notices there is news on gaming sites about Herve seeking financing, which is basically what Herve's been saying in the earnings report with not much beyond that backing up the claim, yet there's nothing about Exalted getting close to release on any of them.

Like I told Exitium, I think those people who were misspelling the name of the rights were closer to the truth about Interplay's use of it. Exhalted is more correct than Exalted, given the events going on with the company.

Briosafreak

Augur
From a few posts i made at NMA, based on things kumquat found out:
Orion please tell Frymunchan that Exalted was put to rest over a month ago, Herve "forgot" to tell the investors that, as usual.[...]
I know that, we know that, but this still may come as news to Fry, so he better hear about it this way, as "it was suspended over a month ago", wich is actually true. Both Exalted and FOBOS2 were put to rest by that time, in order to make Dark Alliance, wich of course is now "suspended" too. Good grief, what a mess.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Why the hell would they go ahead with Dark Alliance 3, minus the D&D license, when they have Exalted's rights already paid for?

Sammael

Liturgist
Herve. Reason. Logic. Those three words cannot be used in the same sentence without the Multiverse collapsing on itself.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Herve still owns the rights to the "Dark Alliance" title, I believe. He just can't annotate the title with "Baldur's Gate" or "Dungeon's & Dragons" because he lost the rights to those quite awhile ago. Dark Alliance 3 would have more or less been its own game as it doesn't use any rules inherent to D&D and the placenames and characters can be easily changed to some generic fantasy nonsense.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
Herve still owns the rights to the "Dark Alliance" title, I believe. He just can't annotate the title with "Baldur's Gate" or "Dungeon's & Dragons" because he lost the rights to those quite awhile ago. Dark Alliance 3 would have more or less been its own game as it doesn't use any rules inherent to D&D and the placenames and characters can be easily changed to some generic fantasy nonsense.

Yeah, they were going to use a stripped down version of SPECIAL for DA3. Still, why bother when you have the rights for Exalted? Why not just make a game based on that license and run with it? He's already paid for the rights, so he might as well use them.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
Probably because he doesn't think Exalted is as powerful a name as "Dark Alliance"

Kind of stupid, because the two names that actually made that name powerful in the first place can no longer be used with the title. Additionally stupid to buy the rights to a license and then not use it because you don't think it's powerful. No one had heard of Hunter: the Reckonning before Interplay made a mildly successful title out of it, either.

An exalted game would be popular if done right since even the weakest solar exalted is still godlike the munchkins would be wetting themselves.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
IPLY got up to 4 cents this week, then dropped back to the 3 cent mark it's been hovering at. When it climbed to 4 cents, the investors on the forum got really excited, saying that they were told to expect something new and cool this week.. Anyway, the week is over and here's this:

• By: frymuchan
    09 Jul 2004, 04:00 PM EDT

Luke Haase had told me to expect some news this week. I'm frustrated that he told me that and again there is no word from Interplay or any credible rumors from ongling gaming sites. I've been trying to get back ahold of Luke, but have been unsuccessful so far. This waiting is becoming maddening.

It's pretty funny, the stock was valued at three times what it is now when they were predicting the stock would hit the mid-twenties mark within a few weeks. Instead of tripling, like they predicted, it dropped to three times less than what it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom