Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Arcanum and More with Tim Cain

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Matt Barton; Tim Cain

<p>The 3rd and last part of <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XVW6qcuzM" target="_blank">Matt Chat featuring Tim Cain</a> is now available.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>thanks to <strong><span class="gen">Fat Dragon.</span></strong></em></p>

Fomorian

Novice
Tim Cain on Fallout 3 said:
There were a lot of surprises; some of them pleasant.

:lol:

Oh Tim Cain you deserve to be working on something better than an MMORPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fomorian said:
Tim Cain on Fallout 3 said:
There were a lot of surprises; some of them pleasant.

:lol:

Oh Tim Cain you deserve to be working on something better than an MMORPG.

Yeah it was amusing looking at his face when he was making such comments on Fallout 3. You really need to rewind and watch everything he says about Fallout 3 very closely a few times.

He was spot on on that they should not have had mutants in DC and should have gone a different direction.

Loving Matt Chat's work, he's like a Codexer except he actually knows his stuff and can get off his lazy arse for 5 minutes to help out the RPG fandom.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Yeah. He has a pretty valid point about the missed opportunity for world expansion, and I like how he spoke about the humor.

I had no idea that TOEE was made with the same engine as Arcanum though. Even understanding that it was heavily modified, there's such a massive difference in the art direction and the general style that I'd have never guessed.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I wish Carbine would lift the lid a little more on their game.

Was Cain really that involved in Vampire? I thought they were doing ToEE and Vampire at roughly the same time? Could be wrong though.

He is one of those guys that, had you been a billionaire, you would happily finance him and a small team to make rpgs and see where he went with them.

.Sigurd

Educated
So far I liked of the concept arts availables on their site. I only hope that they do not make another WoW clone.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
.Sigurd said:
So far I liked of the concept arts availables on their site. I only hope that they do not make another WoW clone.

No company on earth will EVER break from the WOW mold. Period. Look at the new Star Wars MMO coming out, it's basically WOW in space, with full voice acting.

I bet 5 dolla Tim is basically take the same fucking tired shit WOW mold and just add a few twists on it, the the core game mechanic stays the same (DPS character/Healer/Crowd control etc....).

.Sigurd

Educated
Jaesun said:
.Sigurd said:

No company on earth will EVER break from the WOW mold. Period. Look at the new Star Wars MMO coming out, it's basically WOW in space, with full voice acting.
Well, Aventurine and Star Vault tried... :(

.Sigurd said:
Jaesun said:
.Sigurd said:

Well, Aventurine and Star Vault tried... :(

Guild Wars and EVE are doing it as we speak.

Tails

Arbiter
Blackadder said:
Was Cain really that involved in Vampire? I thought they were doing ToEE and Vampire at roughly the same time? Could be wrong though.
If I recall good, Activision put out money to speed/finish up ToEE development, so Tim Cain and rest of the team could move on to Bloodlines.

He is one of those guys that, had you been a billionaire, you would happily finance him and a small team to make rpgs and see where he went with them.
Indeed. We love you Tim Cain! :love:

Joe Krow

Erudite
Cloaked Figure said:
Love the part where talks about MMO's. Right from the horse's mouth. In your face, elitist Codex.

Agreed. The Codex covers hybrid shooters all day long but not MMOs. What's the objection? If Alpha Protocol could be played on-line it would be less rpg then World of Warcraft.

I don't actually have a problem with MMOs in theory. UO was good, I enjoyed DAoC, and I played WoW for awhile (and some of the raid encounters were really fun). The problem comes with having enough content. If I like a single player game, I could beat it in a week or less, easily. An MMO doesn't have that option. They have to fill in years of content, and they normally fill that time with grinds. I hate that shit.

Drakron

Arcane
Also there is a inbalance of content, if low level content is lacking at release day it will still be lacking on pull the plug day.

MMO when adding content is for higher level characters that ends up making people just rush to the "end game" since its were they think content is, in a way I understand why they do that but its also a double-edge sword as people will simply not care about ANYTHING besides end game content, they will not create new characters and if they do they will simply go rush to "end game" with them anyway.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just come out and say it Tim, there shouldn't have been fucking Orcs in Fallout.

Hey, they're using the UAP in that video. There's no sprite mirroring and I can recognize other minor graphical fixes exclusive to the UAP.

Gee, am I popular.

PS: 18XX is the 19th century, Tim, not 18th, FFS.

Marsal

Arcane
Some Moron On Welfare said:
Hey, they're using the UAP in that video. There's no sprite mirroring and I can recognize other minor graphical fixes exclusive to the UAP.

Gee, am I popular.

PS: 18XX is the 19th century, Tim, not 18th, FFS.
Also stupid, it seems.

Marsal

Arcane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_century

>1801-1900

STFU, dumbass.
Now quote the part where he claimed otherwise, fuckface.

Marsal

Arcane
Just listen to the damn thing, retard.

At 4:40 he says "...and it was the eighteenth century".
You mean: "...what if industrial revolution happened and it was the 18th century?"

What does that have to do with 19th century spanning 1801 to 1900, dimwit?

Marsal

Arcane
THE GAME STARTS IN 1885.
1885 years from what event? Birth of Jesus? Why would the time in Arcanum be equivalent to Earth time? Bates "invents" the steam engine in 1825, IIRC.

Anyway, it doesn't even matter. Cain was referring to beginning of industrial revolution on Earth in 18th century, which is correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom