Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Is DA 2 the End of BioWare as a Traditional RPG Creator?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>The Greywardens seem a bit concerned. They're so concerned that they <a href="http://greywardens.com/2010/07/is-dragon-age-2-the-end-of-bioware-as-a-traditional-rpg-creator/" target="_blank">indeed uttered some vague words of critique</a>, which is not typical for them.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>So I must admit to some irritation with the future of the Dragon Age games series. Don&rsquo;t get me wrong, I am fairly open minded as a gamer, and the story of Dragon Age 2 seems epic in scale &mdash; but the fact that the true role playing element of choice&nbsp; has been removed is a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who played and enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins as an RPG. As a sequel to a game that is considered by the creators as the spiritual successor to one of the most popular roleplaying games of all time, I am left wondering this: what crushed that spirit?</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Yes BioWare, what crushed that spirit?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://greywardens.com/2010/07/is-dragon-age-2-the-end-of-bioware-as-a-traditional-rpg-creator/">Greywardens.com</a></p>

Dyspaire

Cipher
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Yes BioWare, what crushed that spirit?

They got rich, forgot their roots, and started listening to the marketing dept. too much?

Just a shot.

KalosKagathos

Learned
That's a fucked up world we live in if an RTwP RPG is considered traditional. No comment on "epic scale" implied to be a redeeming factor.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Brother None said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

When was BioWare a traditional RPG creator?
It says so in the press releases. Didn't you read them? What kind of journalist are you anyway?

Ahh, and so another generation is let down. First it was mine whinging in the early 90's as things dumbed down (with a brief, sort of, renaissance later in the decade), then another in the start of the early 2000's, and now...another.

The amusing thing is each generation has ever more dumbing down to dislike compared to the last one.

As for the actual topic game, I thought they did the same with that space game they made, Mass Effect. Didn't they dumb that down from the first game and remove (more) CRPG mechanics?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It actually worked for Mass Effect, though. It was barely an RPG to begin with, and the "RPG" elements just served to make the combat less exciting without making it remotely tactical by consolation; making it pretty much a full action game worked in its favour.

Rhalle

Magister
Posted a few things to this effect myself on the Bioboards yesterday.

Bioware is now 100% dead as a traditional RPG maker. The announcement of DA2 as Mass Effect with Swords built on the Unreal Engine pretty much makes it official.

Yes BioWare, what crushed that spirit?

They got fucked to death by EA. (And Jews-- don't forget Jews, EA Jews.)

I can't wait for the announcement, a couple of years from now, that Bioware has been liquidated and become 'EA North'. It is as inevitable as the sun rising in the East.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Rhalle said:
PThey got fucked to death by EA. (And Jews-- don't forget Jews, EA Jews.)

Hahahaha, ahaahah, oh wow.

Seriously tho, EA is in no way to blame, BioWare turned more and more mainstream long before the purchase, they're just continuing the process now.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Are you guys really so tarded as not to see BioWare is just continuing on the same path they've been on for 10 years, if not since their inception, and EA has dick-all to do with it (other than forcing them to produce a LOT of games)

choices will disappear only regarding character creation(so useless parts), there will still be many during the actual plot...

Why does the writer say there's no choices at all?

kanenas

Educated
Brother None said:
Are you guys really so tarded as not to see BioWare is just continuing on the same path they've been on for 10 years, if not since their inception, and EA has dick-all to do with it (other than forcing them to produce a LOT of games)

Its true that they've been streamlining since TOB but their sales-pitch was always "We make ar-pee-gees"
after ME2 they are like "Ar-pee-gee-ness is hurting our narrative s we have to tone it down" so i am attributing that to the change in marketing departments

Alex

Arcane
I don't know, Brother None. That story about combat working differently in the PC version from the console versions, it looks a lot like a small compromise in a big list of changes. If I had to guess, I would wage that at least a few people working in the project disliked the new changes but couldn't do anything about it. It could just as well be pressure from Bioware's own management, instead from EA, though the drama would still be the same, either way you have the people creating the game lose the ability to make decisions on their own project.

They say different combat now.... but as day 0 approaches and they're going to be short on resources, the first thing to get scrapped will be the tactical combat on the PC version.

The game is going to be shit. No shocker there.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Don’t get me wrong, I am fairly open minded as a gamer, and the story of Dragon Age 2 seems epic in scale — but the fact that the true role playing element of choice has been removed is a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who played and enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins as an RPG.
Why? Because you can't pick your initial startup character? Please.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Because picking your initial startup character and background was one of the key gimmick selling points for DA:O, perhaps, ya tard?

's why it was called Origins SUBTLEHINT

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
What I like about that is that the apologists are going "well, uh, that was because that was ORIGINS. This is a different game, so obviously that element's not going to be there".

Being able to pick your race is now a one-off gimmick.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ironyuri said:
The golden age of Bioware rpgs coincided with the existence of Black Isle Studios Interplay as the publisher and assistant designers of Bioware cRPGs.

The facts speak for themselves: If Obsidian and Bioware reuinted the world would return to that golden age.

:M

Fucking newfags.

▲
▲ ▲

racofer

Thread Incliner
Still
barelyliterate.gif
I see.

bhlaab

Erudite
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
It actually worked for Mass Effect, though. It was barely an RPG to begin with, and the "RPG" elements just served to make the combat less exciting without making it remotely tactical by consolation; making it pretty much a full action game worked in its favour.

Yeah, unless you directly compare it to other action games in which case it's rubbish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom