Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay dead before Fall?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay

In more fun news with <a href="Http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a>, <A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/">Biz.Yahoo</a> is reporting that <A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040625/media_interplay_1.html">they won't survive this quarter's end</a>. Here's a bit of the thing:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"The company anticipates its current cash reserves, plus its expected generation of cash from existing operations, will not be sufficient to fund its anticipated expenditures through the second quarter of fiscal 2004," Interplay said in the filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
<br>
<br>
"Consequently, the company expects that it will need to substantially reduce its working capital needs and/or raise additional capital," Interplay said. "However, no assurance can be given that alternative sources of funding could be obtained on acceptable terms, or at all."
<br>
<br>
Earlier this month, California labor officials shut down Interplay's headquarters when it learned the company had failed to carry workers' compensation insurance for 79 employees. It has lost its lease on those offices for failing to pay rent.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yeah, how you going to make those MMOs now, <i>bitch</i>?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</A>

Voss

Erudite
And with no rent to pay and not paying the salary for those employees, what expenditures do they have? Is it just debts and lawsuits at this point?

Briosafreak

Augur
FOOL is his famous plan. A desperate final attempt to find financing, using this bait to lure the feeble minded. The extraodinary part is the he actually found developers interested in this, and he`s very happy licensing new Fallout games, not only FOOL. Incredible.

It is too late to Interplay and their employees though, on what is happening to the license we just have to wait a few more days, i`m sure a few surprises will surface soon.

I was talking about the MMO with Dhruin about a week ago, but there was a chance Interplay had closed for good by now,and the idea would die naturally, instead Iplay continues zombified and making all the wrong moves. This is getting ridiculous.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Voss said:
And with no rent to pay and not paying the salary for those employees, what expenditures do they have? Is it just debts and lawsuits at this point?

Well, here's the thing about that. He's got that back pay for the employees, and fines keep building on that since they haven't paid either yet. I'd say there's interest on loans and other things building as well. Every day Herve fails to declare bankrupcy is another day the company loses money.

Briosafreak said:
FOOL is his famous plan. A desperate final attempt to find financing, using this bait to lure the feeble minded. The extraodinary part is the he actually found developers interested in this, and he`s very happy licensing new Fallout games, not only FOOL. Incredible.

I think it's a desperate plan to get investors in IPLY stock as well. Like I said in the other thread, though, MMORPGs are risky, even for well established companies. Like Role-Player pointed out, MicroSoft even pulled out of the MMORPG market recently. There really isn't a type of game that you can make these days that's nearly as risky as an MMORPG when you consider cost versus likelihood of success. Maybe 6-7 years ago, but now the market is flooded with them.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Even if Herve does manage to find some dumb sucker to fund Interplay, whatever game they make next had better be a real SLAM DUNK or they're just going to end up in exactly the same position again.

Rosh

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Does anyone know of anyone stupid enough to actually fund them?

The French govt, again? Hey, it also works for the Australian govt, too.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The French government only funds French companies that develop software locally and employ tax-paying French citizens in France. They make back their investment through the company's success, and through the income tax they receive from the wages of the employees. It's a very good system, really, as it provides jobs to the locals - except companies like VU and Titus try to abuse it, and that pisses off the government.

Talorc

Liturgist
Rosh said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Does anyone know of anyone stupid enough to actually fund them?

The French govt, again? Hey, it also works for the Australian govt, too.

Under the Australian Corporations Law, Interplay would clearly be "trading while insolvent". The loose definition of trading while insolvent is "not being able to meet your debts when they become due". That time was obviously a very long time ago for Interplay..

Oh - and trading while insolvent (provided it can be proved) is a "go straight to jail, do not pass go" offence for the directors of the company concerned.

Any time Interplay wants to come play under Australian Corporations Law is fine by me :twisted:

Rosh

Erudite
Yes, but have you seen the kind of politics run there? Do you expect that limitation to work against Fifi unless he forgot to grease a few palms? Once that is taken care of, he will probably be in good graces again and decide to resurrect Interplay or Titus in some unholy fashion. French vapor companies are not that uncommon, especially when they do go out of state, dissolve, and/or come back into state with a new claim. If most Americans had a clue, they'd look into doing much of the same as they exist. I've checked out many such programs and there is money for the taking in many cases.

*pauses*

Dammit, now I have to kill that fucking imbecile in that revolting suit. He must be taken to the Elder Gods!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom