Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Obsidian Would Like To Work On Chrono Trigger

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>It seems as if Feargus plans to expand the collaboration with Sqare Enix, at least by the <a href="http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/06/obsidian-would-like-to-work-on-chrono-trigger/" target="_blank">sound of this interview </a>where he mentions how Obsidian would love to make a western-style version of Chrono Trigger.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Since Obsidian and Square Enix have been conversing for some time, I asked Urquhart if there was any franchise other than Dungeon Siege 3&nbsp; they would like to work on.</strong><br />Urquhart snickered and sarcastically said, &ldquo;Chocobo Racing.&rdquo; He followed up with a more serious response, &ldquo;If I could come across everything that I played I would have to go with Chrono Trigger. I think Chrono Trigger was one I really enjoyed.&rdquo;<br /><strong>And how would you make Chrono Trigger more of a Western RPG?</strong><br />&ldquo;It&rsquo;s tough because a lot of the Japanese RPGs have very specific functions for everything. There is very specific item progression, very specific class progression, very specific everything. I think&hellip; I don&rsquo;t know I&rsquo;d have to think about it,&rdquo; Urquhart pondered.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>At least they stick to their trusty formula to make sequels/clones of other games. Perseverance.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98616-obsidian-entertainment-on-making-a-western-chrono-trigger.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Obsidian would like to make a sequel to EVERY game. It's the magic of slam dunk.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
So Feargus wants to remake a JRPG. And Richard Garriot is trying to make the next Farmville. I would try to make some joke at their expense, but why even bother. It's just sad.

Then there's Molyneaux. I'm younger than alot of the people on this site, so can anyone tell me the last time this asshole had any credibility? Funny thing is, Moly is a street name for pure MDMA (the main ingredient in Ecstasy), maybe this can explain the whole Fable franchise.

Silellak

Cipher
Some Moron On Welfare said:
Today is sure a bad day to be an OBSHITTIAN FAG. First no AP sequel, now THIS. LOLZ

Enjoy your cheap ass sequels to random IPs.
Technically, the no AP sequel thing was announced yesterday.

And this? This isn't even really news. RPG DEVELOPER FAMOUS FOR SEQUELS WOULD LOVE TO MAKE A SEQUEL TO FAMOUS JRPG SERIES. Shocking. Nothing will come of it, ever.

Jora

Arcane
If Torment is their take on FF7, I wouldn't mind seeing what they could do with CT.

Luzur

Good Sir
JagreenLern said:
So Feargus wants to remake a JRPG. And Richard Garriot is trying to make the next Farmville. I would try to make some joke at their expense, but why even bother. It's just sad.

Then there's Molyneaux. I'm younger than alot of the people on this site, so can anyone tell me the last time this asshole had any credibility? Funny thing is, Moly is a street name for pure MDMA (the main ingredient in Ecstasy), maybe this can explain the whole Fable franchise.

Druid 2, Dungeon keeper, Populous, Theme Park.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
JagreenLern said:
He never did. He's made a career out of putting his name on other people's work and hyping it to the stratosphere. Just now, the grunt's he's got toiling away in his dungeon are a bunch of hacks.

Anyway, CT is perfect for westernization, and Obsidian might be the only professional studio capable of pulling it off (then throwing it out the door 50% done) but which studio wouldn't want to make a sequel to Chrono Trigger? Besides S-E that is.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Clockwork Knight said:
Turjan said:
Shannow said:
This is it? This caused people saying Obsidian was making a Chrono Trigger game?
*shakes head*
I thought that was supposed to be a joke. Like, "Hey Stan Lee, what would you do if you were writing a story for Batman?" --> "Stan Lee's take on Batman!!!!"
That's why I shook my head. People were posting as if this were a fact and the game already a year in development, when it's nothing more than a comment in an interview (at the moment).

hoochimama

Liturgist
Jaedar said:
Obsidian would like to make a sequel to EVERY game. It's the magic of slam dunk.

Obsidian also seems to be where game franchises go to die.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
hoochimama said:
Jaedar said:

KOTOR survived them to be resurrected as an MMORPG, a fate worse than death.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd say they couldn't screw it up worse than Chrono Cross, but then they would screw it up worse than Chrono Cross. (Seriously, taking a game that was noticeably light themed (bar post-Lavos time) and screw destiny via time travel, then killing off the main characters and having everything they do make things worse. It's like Square is a group of pro-trolls, because there is no way you can screw it up that badly by accident).

denizsi

Arcane
JagreenLern said:

I think Garriott has done most everything he could have in RPG business. Still to this day, Ultima series are pretty much the zenith of the genre in many ways, along very few other games and he probably realized most of his RPG dreams with the series. So it's only natural that he'd eventually turn to other things that, in comparison, would look pathetic to gamers.

denizsi

Arcane
hoochimama said:
Jaedar said:

That's poetically beautiful.

"Obsidian is where game franchises go to die".

:love:

Drakron

Arcane
Well to be fair Chrono Trigger was a game that was developed during a blue moon, it had Sakaguchi, Yuuji Horii and Akira Toriyama as the 3 main designers.

You cannot beat that at the height of jRPGs and certainly not now on the decline of gaming.

I never played Cross but it sounds like Square wanted to cash in on the success of Trigger and create a series but they had no idea how to do it, its also a product of its time (the "Age of Emo") as Chrono Trigger was a product of a time were had a lot of silly things and a optimistic atmosphere that just things worst.

Micmu

Magister
Updated my logo

obsidie.gif

Drakron said:
its also a product of its time (the "Age of Emo") as Chrono Trigger was a product of a time were had a lot of silly things and a optimistic atmosphere that just things worst.

I don't think it had muchemo. Most character quests end in an optimistic tone, with the emoness being the starting point. Even the emo rocker ends up solving his macho daddy acceptance problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom