Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas, Same But Different

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Computer and Videogames <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245963" target="_blank">sum up their impressions</a> on F:NV.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="text_article_body">Once into the central control room you have a number of options that will either cement your relationship with the NCR, or damage it. We go for damage. Big damage. Our man reroutes the power to an orbital laser, which he then uses to incinerate the NCR troops stationed outside the power plant. It's spectacular as the giant beam sweeps over the baked floor, evaporating the opposition. Later on in the game, we're told, that orbital laser can become part of your arsenal as you develop a portable control device for it. Like the Hammer of Dawn from Gears of War, only far more powerful.<br /><br /> Attacks on specific factions will have much more subtle, believable consequences. In fact, everything you do will matter more thanks to a combined reputation and morality system. Our little atrocity will probably evoke retribution from the NCR, but because it was a significant attack on their rivals, Caesar's Legion might sit up and take notice. Morality is more than just good and evil here. There are many grey areas and because morality is tied into your reputation, it's possible to be hated in some parts of the world and revered in others. Even seemingly 'goody-goody' choices will have bad consequences for some.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15176">RPGWatch</a></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, that sounds decent if they manage to make it work properly. Faction interaction is always an interesting thing in games as long as it's done right.

Melcar

Arcane
The same shit. Guess only Bio fans can handle the new shit.
It's somewhat amusing how everyone has to talk about The Laser. Will that be the most interesting bit of the game? I guess it will be that plus gambling mini games that make the entirety of the game.

Angthoron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Unforeseen bad consequences for apparently good actions? Game is gonna be trampled by critics.

"So I killed this bunch of raiders in the camp, right? Then I went to the big raider base and they didn't want to talk to me so I shot at them and OMG they hate me now, I BROKE THE GAME"

Drakron

Arcane
Pretty much, sort off.

I suppose its going to be more subtle as quests will be locked out because your character is too much of a goody two shoes for the quest giver to offer it, also other fractions will not like you been working for the competition and will bar entry or even became hostile.

I hope the Raider Camp example is not a good because if you kill everyone there then nobody can point the finger, I think its more if you work for the NCR to wipe out Raider and report back then they will know who was doing it and became hostile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom