Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial A Decade of Deus Ex

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex; Ion Storm

<p>With Deus Ex having been released 10 years ago <a href="http://beefjack.com/features/birthday-boy-a-decade-of-deus-ex/" target="_blank">Beefjack conjured up</a> a retrospective.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>So when Deus Ex launched in June 2000, at the heart of the X-Files age and with the world still gripped by Matrix Fever, that it was such an extraordinary piece of game design was a genuine surprise to most. Riffing on ideas of non-linearity developed in Thief, and building upon the RPG elements of Looking Glass and Irrational&rsquo;s System Shock 2, Deus Ex presented a near-future world in disarray, a branching story in which key events altered depending on your actions, multiple ways of tackling each problem and traversing each area, and a hyper-cool super-agent with whom to take on the world.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>ModDB are <a href="http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex/news/deus-ex-10-years-of-sunglasses-at-night" target="_blank">celebrating</a> Deus Ex' birthday too.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Ok you get it now, Deus Ex is now 10 years old and its still one of the best PC games ever made. I bet right now someone out there who is reading this is re-installing it. That is what normally happens when you think of good old Deus Ex, the memories come back, wearing sunglass at night time, sneaking around, stealing stuff. Oh boy.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>turd at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98438-deus-ex-retrospectives.html">GB</a></p>

denizsi

Arcane
You might like to update the newspost with the following as well:

Ok you get it now, Deus Ex is now 10 years old and its still one of the best PC games ever made. I bet right now someone out there who is reading this is re-installing it. That is what normally happens when you think of good old Deus Ex, the memories come back, wearing sunglass at night time, sneaking around, stealing stuff. Oh boy.

But age is something that can sometimes cripple games, and in the case of Deus Ex it is still going strong save a few nagging errors due to modern day hardware. So to help with the inevitable re-installation of your and my favorite game here is a list of recommend mods in no real particular order.

Custom Launcher

Coding.hanfling.de

This is a much needed fix for the game, if you are like me and have more then one CPU slugging it out in your PC this will fix the game so your not running it 4 times faster then it should be. Simple yet it works.

Modern Day Graphical Updates

In DX9 and DX10 flavors

You may have your great PC yet Deus Ex will still look like giant cubes flying towards you, oh my how you have aged Deus Ex. Not to fear there are some great fixes out there that are not really made for Deus Ex but for Unreal Tournament that will work fine for both.

Multiplayer Bots

Moddb.com
Who needs friends right? Since I have never personally played Deus Ex for the multiplayer I am sure there are a few of you in the same boat as me, bots seem like a good way to play considering finding a live match nowadays might be hard to do.

Mods

Hell if you have played Deus Ex to death like some of us might have already, it could be time to look at Total Conversions and Mods. Here are a few I think are well worth your time.

The Nameless Mod
Do you like fun? You should play this TC at leased once in your life it was good enough to grab the Best Singleplayer Mod of 2009 as chosen by the ModDB staff and 8th place in the MOTY award as chosen by our community. If you need to read more check out my preview.

Hardcore DX
The name implies it all, a user created hardcore modification for the vanilla Deus Ex that should make the game that much harder.

Redsun 2020
A new singleplayer experience that follows the trend set by the original with multiple ways of completing objectives.

These where just a few of the many mods out there but it should get you started on Deus Ex again. You can also have a look at this thread made over at the Offtopic Production forum which will give you guys a few more user made experiences to help celebrate this day.

Happy gaming!

http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex/news ... s-at-night

denizsi

Arcane
Steam also seems to have had a one-day offer that went by without anyone even noticing:

Deus Ex Turns 10, 75% Off At Steam - Steam is offering a 75% off sale on both Deus Ex: Invisible War and Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition. That brings the price down to $2.49 each, or $4.98 as a package deal. Offer ends 3pm Pacific time on June 23rd

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=29254

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom