Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus EX: Human Revolution Footage

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex

<p>Someone leaked a 10min video showing E3 and Eidos' Private viewing of gameplay footage. You can watch it <a href="http://deusex-humanrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/06/e3-2010-leaked-gameplay.html">here</a>. <a href="http://www.gameru.net/?a=36254">Or there</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>thanks to hiver!</p>

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
They are two different 10 minute parts of a 20 min video that was taken down, btw (so watch both).

Edit: Looks like Gameru has both.

denizsi

Arcane
I am at 1:22 and my first impression: that's a very silly and impractical cockpit design for that VTOL.

hiver

Looks pretty good on the whole.
Action is still a bit sketchy and twitchy - which is probably due it being an early build.

Transitions between FP and TP definitely need more smoothness - for example.

Great thing is (you cant see it here) that even though dialogue is done by key-words when you mouse over them you get to see the whole line of dialogue.

V-tol looks nice and i like the cockpit design.
the city is superbly designed, including NPCs.

The worst thing about it is that big redneck guy at the end.
Is that freaking accent really necessary?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Yeah overall looked nice. I'm assuming that they were using a more powerful build for the character than would be normal for that stage of the game in order to show off a variety of augs/skills. If not, well, he's too powerful.

Still don't like the third person thing, as well as the "cinematic moments"- jumping through the window to avoid the explosion, the "big boss" showdown, etc.

Also the writing sounded good. Too bad that faggot's head was blocking the dialogue!

DraQ

Arcane
Looks pretty good as a whole.

Would be better without TPP, also, the augmentation/melee spark effect is cheesy and retarded.

I'm also concerned about cinematic moments and the menu looks a bit consolish for my liking. Explosions could also use less flashy, more realistic feel.

Other than that it's pretty good. I feel quite a lot of GITS inspirations.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Dicksmoker said:
Yeah overall looked nice. I'm assuming that they were using a more powerful build for the character than would be normal for that stage of the game in order to show off a variety of augs/skills. If not, well, he's too powerful.
looks like it's just the same demo we've been reading about, which means modded char with infinite health and energy.
Mister Arkham said:
denizsi said:
I am at 1:22 and my first impression: that's a very silly and impractical cockpit design for that VTOL.
I thought the same thing. A combat aircraft that loads through the cockpit? That's just terrible fucking design.
heh? didn't look like it loads through the cockpit to me. looked like the cockpit is cut off from the rest of the craft.
the only thing stupid about it is the fact that it is located at the front even though it doesn't have any see-through windshield/whatever.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
hiver said:

It leaves the pilot completely exposed during ingress and egress, forcing anyone who is boarding to move around them without attempting to disrupt them. It also makes bailing out a bitch, because when you pop the hatch mid-crash you're going to turn the whole body tube into a wind tunnel that ends in a wall. That assumes a lack of any emergency exits of course, but there are a great many reasons why almost all of your "people mover" aircraft load from the side.

That said, it isn't a very important point. Certainly not anything worth fighting about. It was just a staggeringly bad bit of design that prefaced a demo that was very, very promising. Speaking otherwise, the bar and the port were pretty drab, but the city streets had a really great, hellish Neuromancer vibe. Just the smog and the neon and the sickly, omnipresent quality of the light...it seemed kind of sparsely populated though.

Gameplay looks pretty good too. The character build was pretty overpowered for the situation, and they're putting way too much emphasis on the takedowns, but on the whole I liked what I saw. Would like to see how the hacking and lockpicking minigames are going to work, because you know that there are just going to have to be minigames. Also, the third person shift was kind of jarring at first, but after the first couple of times I kind of stopped noticing it.

DraQ

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
the only thing stupid about it is the fact that it is located at the front even though it doesn't have any see-through windshield/whatever.
Probably pilot gets video feed from external cams and sensors, maybe even real time synthetic all around vision combining TV, IR and whatnot, which is pretty cool.

Reminds me of Terra Nova PBAs.

denizsi

Arcane
For a while I was thinking it was ok, until the game turned into a theme park ride between combat cinematics. It will probably be a good console stealth shooter, though.

I'm not against cinematic angles all the time. For instance, the eavesdropping part was ok. It beats getting bored listening to same drivel from behind ventilation grills, doing nothing, even though it takes away the freedom to interrupt and attack (which isn't all that necessary all the time). But even something as mundane as climbing a ladder is now in 3rd person FFS. Why make the rest of it first person at all, then?

I don't like the "cinematic" kills at all. Stealth backstab, stealth take down, stealth double take down, stealth wall-punch... I was surprised they had iron sights at all. Let the first person stay in the first person dammit! Fuck this cinematic shit! Might be a nice gimmick for the first couple times but it will grow old fast.

Also, taking cover in third person takes away half the tension and excitement as it's a camera cheat. Give back my manual leaning ability and since this is an RPG, add skill-dependent visual cues to replace the camera cheat maybe? Even a mini camera gadget will do the job!

And I also found the camera transitions from 1st person to 3rd to be jarring.

It's kind of sad that bystander NPCs are still only as believable as in the original game (criticism not limited to DX3, of course), ie. the same limited amount of few NPCs in a location that repeat the same few animations and walk up and down all the time. Randomized realistic crowd simulations today are as easy as it has never have been. I see indies experimenting with such ideas, using dynamic group movements where single AI can take over a bunch of NPCs moving in the same direction and such multiple groups moving through and interacting with each other, and then breaking down back to individual AIs, as well as spawning or removing randomized NPCs on spot out of player's LOS. Computing resource wise, it's so cheap and efficient, it's a crime this stuff doesn't make it into any big publisher backed game.

Dicksmoker said:

Hopefully, otherwise this is Crysis Ex.

dr. one

Augur
same concerns as others, TPP, cinematic takedowns, etc.
Deus Ex vibes are rather strong though and overall it already looks like a must play for me.

DraQ

Arcane
denizsi said:
Also, taking cover in third person takes away half the tension and excitement as it's a camera cheat.
That's my main problem with it.

I remember one time when I was using MG nest in HL1 (On a Rail), basically curling up behind the sandbags and firing the mounted gun blindly as the HECUs bullets buzzed all around.

After it was all over I cautiously peeked out of my cover - everything around was swiss cheese, the MG's metal shields literally peppered with little dents - it was just plain fucking awesome.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the fact that smashing through a wall with a boogie on the roof didn't trigger any alarms was kinda meh.

the whole demo is more of a cinematic, i'd say. first part has too smooth movement, like camera on rails rather than something human controlled, and all of it plays exactly the same as every single hands on/preview/whathaveyou mentioned it would, including details like firing the launcher from cover after it locked on.

hiver

Mister Arkham said:
hiver said:

It leaves the pilot completely exposed during ingress and egress, forcing anyone who is boarding to move around them without attempting to disrupt them. It also makes bailing out a bitch, because when you pop the hatch mid-crash you're going to turn the whole body tube into a wind tunnel that ends in a wall. That assumes a lack of any emergency exits of course, but there are a great many reasons why almost all of your "people mover" aircraft load from the side.
People are loading from the side. Its just that the pilot is separated into his own little cockpit from the front.
At least i hope so

As far as exiting the plane mid crash i guess the pilot jets out of there without the need to open the hatch first. Which would be ludicrous.

also:
Probably pilot gets video feed from external cams and sensors, maybe even real time synthetic all around vision combining TV, IR and whatnot, which is pretty cool.

Gameplay looks pretty good too. The character build was pretty overpowered for the situation, and they're putting way too much emphasis on the takedowns, but on the whole I liked what I saw. Would like to see how the hacking and lockpicking minigames are going to work, because you know that there are just going to have to be minigames. Also, the third person shift was kind of jarring at first, but after the first couple of times I kind of stopped noticing it.
Animations are not final product. This is pre-alpha state.
Taking that into consideration it looks pretty good.

Same thing with third person shift.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I see indies experimenting with such ideas, using dynamic group movements where single AI can take over a bunch of NPCs moving in the same direction and such multiple groups moving through and interacting with each other, and then breaking down back to individual AIs, as well as spawning or removing randomized NPCs on spot out of player's LOS.
Which indies do that? Sounds interesting.

yaster

Liturgist
denizsi said:
For a while I was thinking it was ok, until the game turned into a theme park ride between combat cinematics. It will probably be a good console stealth shooter, though.

I'm not against cinematic angles all the time. For instance, the eavesdropping part was ok. It beats getting bored listening to same drivel from behind ventilation grills, doing nothing, even though it takes away the freedom to interrupt and attack (which isn't all that necessary all the time). But even something as mundane as climbing a ladder is now in 3rd person FFS. Why make the rest of it first person at all, then?

I don't like the "cinematic" kills at all. Stealth backstab, stealth take down, stealth double take down, stealth wall-punch... I was surprised they had iron sights at all. Let the first person stay in the first person dammit! Fuck this cinematic shit! Might be a nice gimmick for the first couple times but it will grow old fast.

Also, taking cover in third person takes away half the tension and excitement as it's a camera cheat. Give back my manual leaning ability and since this is an RPG, add skill-dependent visual cues to replace the camera cheat maybe? Even a mini camera gadget will do the job!

And I also found the camera transitions from 1st person to 3rd to be jarring.

This sums up my impression pretty well. Overabundance of cinematics and 1st->3rd transitions are rather bad.

Also the part at the end was disappointment. Instead of letting player deal with encountered bomb on his own therefore giving him tense moment and nice change of pace they chosen to play some crappy cinematic, like I would care about such thing in games.

denizsi

Arcane
Mangoose said:
I see indies experimenting with such ideas, using dynamic group movements where single AI can take over a bunch of NPCs moving in the same direction and such multiple groups moving through and interacting with each other, and then breaking down back to individual AIs, as well as spawning or removing randomized NPCs on spot out of player's LOS.
Which indies do that? Sounds interesting.

The real indies, ie. the ones who keep experimenting with ideas, make proof of concept demonstrations but never manage to make a final product usually because they want to sell the idea with their techniques or rent out their services dealing with their work :roll:

I've seen a couple of such game-oriented demos that handled crowds pretty good. Things like this, except made for games too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqBSNAOsMDc

Then again, Daggerfall comes to mind. You could see plenty of people around at once, walking around however aimless. Just add group AI to make their movement look meaningful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom