Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Has Obsidian lost its luster?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<p>... is a question <a href="http://kokugamer.com/2010/06/20/has-obsidian-lost-its-luster/">pondered by Koku Gamer</a>. Although they seem to be confusing Obsidian with BIS.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>When I first came to Kokugamer, the first article that I wrote was a wish list for the upcoming <em>Fallout: New Vegas</em>. It was lengthy, and maybe I was asking a little bit too much during the course of it. Now, all I find myself asking Obsidian when it comes to this game is, &ldquo;Please don&rsquo;t screw this up.&rdquo; All I want is for the original team to re-create that magic from when I first stepped out of Vault 13. If they mess this up, I honestly think that the only thing left that could make me lose all faith in them is an awful remake of <em>Plane</em><em>scape: Torment</em> where the Nameless One is voiced by Nolan North.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98374-has-obsidian-lost-its-luster.html">GB</a></p>

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Koku Gamer said:
All I want is for the original team to re-create that magic from when I first stepped out of Vault 13.

I had to double-check to make sure that it was indeed Vault 13 that was mentioned, and not Vault 101.

Too used to Fallout 3 getting all the dick-slurping nowadays.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the way he mentions nwn2 as if motb never happened is kinda suspicious.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
SuicideBunny said:
To the majority of gamers, it either didn't, or it was worse than the OC.

Vibalist

Arcane
Jaedar said:
SuicideBunny said:

Who found MoTB worse than the OC? How skewed and fucked up is your taste if you think that? It's impossible.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vibalist said:
Jaedar said:
SuicideBunny said:
Who found MoTB worse than the OC? How skewed and fucked up is your taste if you think that? It's impossible.
Many major game reviewers for one, granted, not much worse though. It's the spirit meter that did it I think, and there's no way one of the best settings/stories etc can make up for one "confusing" game mechanic it seems.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Obsidian, the proud Bioware/Bethesda lite, developers of two good titles but those days are already in the past.

Why? I'm still giving them a chance. Sure, they give me mixed feelings but they're still much better than any other RPG game studio nowadays. If not them then there's no one who makes cRPGs except indie devs.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Konjad said:
Obsidian, the proud Bioware/Bethesda lite, developers of two good titles but those days are already in the past.

Why? I'm still giving them a chance. Sure, they give me mixed feelings but they're still much better than any other RPG game studio nowadays. If not them then there's no one who makes cRPGs except indie devs.

Uh... Bioware? Bethesda? Blizzard? CDProjekt, even?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
treave said:
Konjad said:

Uh... Bioware? Bethesda? Blizzard? CDProjekt, even?

wut

Felix

Arcane
Out of the "new shits" that labelled RPG (edgy enough ?), I enjoy their game the most along with Piranha Bytes.

Still waiting to see that engine, I feel that could be a turning point for them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So the original Fallout team is now Feargus Urquhart and Scott Everts? I really really hate knowing more about worthless game trivia than professional website guys.

Oh and Alpha Protocol was a modern-day remake of Torment. Look at Avellone's comments about making it more about combat and using animation and facial expressions instead of text and having "a lot of dialogue options be represented visually, instead of described" if he were to remake it. Nolan North was Morte and I was kinda disappointed he didn't say "Hey chief, you okay?" when he came to rescue me.

1eyedking

Erudite
Vibalist said:
Low-level D&D is more entertaining than all the high-level sci-fi influenced crap like the different planes of existence, astral projections, galaxy travel, time travel, attainable godhood, and all other bombastic, epic fluff. It completely fucks up the mystery in the setting.

MotB had a cool vibe to it, though, and was more of an exception; I can understand people not tolerating all that sort of crap, however. A pity that most reviewers dis it for the wrong reasons, though I concur it's a bad, bad game overall.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN2 isa fuckin' good game so fuck off with yer bullshitz.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Obsidian, the proud Bioware/Bethesda lite, developers of three good titles and one way up there but those days are already in the past.
Fixed it for you.

Achilles

Arcane
Sure hasn't, and Alpha Protocol is the proof of that.

wileecoyoteumbrellagogo.jpg

circ

Arcane
Obsidian never had any luster to lose. JUST WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? SOME KIND OF FORMER SPICE GIRL WHO'S NOW MARRIED TO A TWO TIMING FOOTBALL STAR BUT REALLY HE'S ACTUALLY A GAYBOY.

CrimHead

Scholar
1eyedking said:
sci-fi influenced crap like the different planes of existence, astral projections, galaxy travel... attainable godhood, and all other bombastic, epic fluff..

Not very familiar with Eastern Mythology and Religion are we?

Rhalle

Magister
It never had any luster.

It has been and is a second-teir company staffed by yeomen who will never become masters-- with the exception of MCA, who made a single masterpiece over a decade ago, and who will never reach that caliber of work again.

Felix

Arcane
CrimHead said:
1eyedking said:
sci-fi influenced crap like the different planes of existence, astral projections, galaxy travel... attainable godhood, and all other bombastic, epic fluff..

Ignorance is his specialty.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Obsidian, the proud Bioware/Bethesda lite, developers of three good titles and one way up there but those days are already in the past.
Fixed it for you.

MotB, MotB, MotB and MotB?
Jeez dude you are so good at math.

Radisshu

Prophet
CrimHead said:
1eyedking said:

And the astral concept was also common among medieval philosophers (scholastics), it was their way of explaining how the soul could be connected to the body. So uh, you're completely fucking wrong mate, they just share influences with sci-fi.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
MotB, MotB, MotB and MotB?
Jeez dude you are so good at math.
KOTOR 2, SOZ, AP, and MOTB up there is what he meant I think.

Haven't tried AP yet and not so sure if KOTOR 2 deserves that honor (then again all of the games I liked in the past 10 years or so have been flawed gems so...) so I'm not sure I entirely agree with the classification.

Felix said:
CrimHead said:
1eyedking said:

y21.png
is his specialty.

Clarified. He just needs to let go of his gigantic argentinian ego and he'll be a super duper chap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom