Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Is More Intense

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p><a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/50711" target="_blank">In this short preview</a> over at Gamers With Jobs we learn that TW2 does away with the combat stances and strifes for a console-like combo system instead.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Once the conversation is over we get to see the new combat engine in action. In the first game you had three stances to choose from that were each strong against certain types of enemies. By timing mouse clicks with your strikes, you could string attacks together and make them more effective. The Witcher 2 does away with the stance system in favor of a more console-like combo system. There&rsquo;s a heavy attack, light attack, magic attack, block and a dodge button.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/06/19/e3-2010-we-chat-with-cd-projekts-producer-about-the-witcher-2/">In this interview</a> Tomek Gop explains how TW2 is more intense.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>We have heard that the game is shorter but "more intense". What exactly does that mean?</strong> <br /> It might take less time to walk through a main storyline of <em>The Witcher 2</em> than it would in the previous game. But if we do it right (there are still some focus-tests ahead of us, and we've not got to beta yet), the players will feel that it's because the long, travelling-based quests are missing. We don't want to miss any of the important action - just all those "Fed-Ex" quests. Second thing, I think people don't expect the size of changes we've made in terms of the storyline's scale. Whereas <em>The Witcher</em> was a game about (among other things) a rebellion that took place in Temeria, <em>The Witcher 2</em> is about politics and emotions that involve many kingdoms and dig much deeper into Geralt's past. The one he's forgotten... almost.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15145">RPGWatch</a></p>

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I enjoyed The Twitcher for what is was, but seriously, the Devs always come off as being retarded or something. Their interviews have something facepalm inducing about them.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Once the conversation is over we get to see the new combat engine in action. In the first game you had three stances to choose from that were each strong against certain types of enemies. By timing mouse clicks with your strikes, you could string attacks together and make them more effective.
Yeah it was very shitty.

The Witcher 2 does away with the stance system in favor of a more console-like combo system.
This is actually an improvement. If only CDP were good at slashers.

It might take less time to walk through a main storyline of The Witcher 2 than it would in the previous game. But if we do it right (there are still some focus-tests ahead of us, and we've not got to beta yet), the players will feel that it's because the long, travelling-based quests are missing.
Yeah TW was "long" only because you spend more time running between locations, especially the 2nd chapter "swamp - city - swamp - city - swamp - city - swamp - city". It was terrible.
Now that CDP actually understands some of their mistakes I'd rather wished they went for a good slasher and left their poor attempts at making action adventure games.

The Witcher 2 is about politics and emotions
I mean this bullshit.

Tycn

Savant
MetalCraze said:
The Witcher 2 does away with the stance system in favor of a more console-like combo system.
This is actually an improvement. If only CDP were good at slashers.
Speaks volumes about the state of the industry when adopting a "console-like system" is an incline.

hiver

From what i read, they have basically removed the need to perform the whole chain of one type of strikes to get the combo. Now you can mix all three styles and spells on the fly and still get different combos.

I dont see how is that console-like-system.
Now you have more variety then before where you would basically chose one style per type of enemy and slugged away.

qte moves are though, and that style of dialogue presentation.

Also this time they seem to be having better villains. I thought those two in the first game were just ridiculously weak, forgettable and laughably cheap.
They made them in the same type, one agile assassin and one burly big guy - but atleast they look somewhat serious and convincing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dig much deeper into Geralt's past. The one he's forgotten... almost.
Kurwa jebana mać, if players want to know more about Geralt's past then force them to read fucking books and don't give to them dumbed down brief of what happened. PLAYERS CAN READ, YOU KNOW?

KalosKagathos

Learned
hiver said:
From what i read, they have basically removed the need to perform the whole chain of one type of strikes to get the combo. Now you can mix all three styles and spells on the fly and still get different combos.

Then play DMC3 and you will.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
hiver said:

Now you have more variety then before where you would basically chose one style per type of enemy and slugged away.

Yeah, I saw that new "enhanced" combat system in action and, frankly, I wasn't impressed. To me it seemed as if they were inspired by SW: Force Unleashed - Geralt was tumbling around like crazy spamming one hit after another. Say what you want about the first game but at least when the character attacked it looked like swordsmanship. Now, I'm not sure what it is. Ehh.... see it yourself: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266532/

I don't know about the dialogue (haven't played Alpha Protocol yet), but qte are big no no for me. Once I thought it was a decent idea until I finished SW:FU. Sure qtes are entertaining but it tend to think nowadays that they are simply used to offset bad gameplay - the thing I would rather not see in my TWitcher.

Also this time they seem to be having better villains. I thought those two in the first game were just ridiculously weak, forgettable and laughably cheap.
They made them in the same type, one agile assassin and one burly big guy - but atleast they look somewhat serious and convincing.

Yes, the villains seem much better this time around. We will have to see how they will develop, though.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Forget I mentioned DMC in this thread. Watched the video, and combat looks even slower than in God of War. Dumbed down for PCtards, no doubt.

hiver

there is definetly too much tumbling around but i think combat could turn out better then the first. This is an early build so in game it should look more convincing, with you knowing what moves you are doing, how you mix the skills and which ones you have.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It might take less time to walk through a main storyline of The Witcher 2 than it would in the previous game. But if we do it right (there are still some focus-tests ahead of us, and we've not got to beta yet), the players will feel that it's because the long, travelling-based quests are missing. We don't want to miss any of the important action - just all those "Fed-Ex" quests.

That's actually some good news. Witcher 1 had waaaay too much walking back and forth, especially in the outdoor areas, not so much in the city. Combine that with respawning enemies, and you have a lot of un-fun filler.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Sex cards were scrapped because they're not immersive or emotionally engaging enough. Now all sex will be rendered in 3D. Tastefully, of course.

hiver said:

The only reason why 'console' seems out of place is that at the Codex we're used to associating 'console' with 'dumbed down' or 'crappy'. With some features that's justified. But fighting games and slashers have long had consoles as their home pitch, and before that they were arcade games. It's one area where consoles shine without dumbing down: Street Fighter series et al. Not my thing personally, but it isn't a genre where there's an old and complex PC tradition marred by crappy simplistic console games. The old PC predecessor - Karateka and clones - were ultra simplistic compared to even SF2 .

The control setup is consolish in that it's similar to the button setup for older console/arcade fighting games - i.e. heavy attack, light attack, 'special'/magic attack - that's all.

Cassidy

Arcane
Will it feature tasteful rape and blood orgies?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom