Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age forums update

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

<a href=http://cgi.nwvault.ign.com/dragonage>NWN Vault</a> keeps track of what's been said by various <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> developers about <b>Dragon Age</b> and other stuff. Here are the most interesting parts:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>David Gaider</b>: There will be romances. Lots of them. In fact, every party member will start pulling your hair and passing notes to the other party members about how cute you are when they think you aren't looking. They will refuse to participate in quests unless you stand around playing footsies with them in the local tavern for at least an hour. There will be warm fuzzy feelings gushing all over you as you scream helplessly.
<br>
<br>
There will also be companions which you can make into friends. They will pat you on the back and tell you war stories. Occasionally they will slap your butt in a friendly manner and an uncomfortable moment will pass before they deny being one of the romantic NPC's. They will have lots and lots of personal quests that they will demand you take time from your busy schedule to deal with, lest they stomp their feet and storm off. Sometimes they will bake you a cake.
<br>
<br>
We felt this was the best way to go.
<br>
<br>
Oh, and ummm... there's some other story going on in the midst of all that, but we'll need to hire more writers before we can get to it.
<br>
<br>
<b>Georg Zoeller</b>: I disagree that the existing backstory in D&D (guess you are talking about FR) makes it easier to craft stories. It actually makes it harder: Because you can not do permanent changes to the world, it is hard to do a heroic story where the things that your player does really matter. We had to cut several endings for Hordes because they involved killing a major villain in the D&D setting or otherwise changing things (i.e. destroying that Inn in Waterdeep). Also, and that's not a minor thing, there are so many sourcebooks in D&D, so many things said about the background story, it is very hard to be creative without violating something that has already been said. There are several on just how Undermountain is supposed to be, so creating a story there is balancing between not contradicting the sourcebooks and making things interesting.
<br>
<br>
Writing the story we want: When using a license we have to write story and gameplay in a way that it is consistent with the image of the license holder and is tailored toward the target audience the license holder wants the game to have.
<br>
<br>
Also keep in mind that licenses can change the owner and the new owner could have different views on things that the old owner had. (i.e. target audience suddenly drops to an "E" rating)
<br>
<br>
[Purely Virtual Example]If the license holder decides thatthings happening in the game (i.e. kissing in romances, sex (even when married , slavery, treachery, etc) are not compatible with the company image, this severly limitesthe options our writers have to to craft the story they want to (and the kind of story our fans expect from us.)
<br>
<br>
Some licenses these days come with "morality clauses" that state things like "in the end good must always prevail. Evil must be punised and can not win", etc. that can be invoked by the license holder and would prevent things like evil endings impossible.
<br>
<br>
As stated before, working with licenses has it's benefit and can produce very successful and enjoyable games (see KotOR, HotU), but if you are out to create a game that "tells your story in your world", (which is what we want to do with DA), a license is not a good idea. If we wanted to "tell a story about the Hero of Waterdeep", we would choose D&D, but this time we are out for something else.</blockquote>The moral of this story: Morality clauses (together with Hasbro and WotC) suck!

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, I don't buy the "I can't have sex, kissing, or the word fuck in my story, I'm severlah limited!!!" bullshit :P

Hell, TV had those morality clauses but you could watch people getting away with murder on shows like Alfred Hitchcock presents, followed by Hitch saying 'Oh they got caught eventually...'

taks

Liturgist
HanoverF said:
Eh, I don't buy the "I can't have sex, kissing, or the word fuck in my story, I'm severlah limited!!!" bullshit :P

Hell, TV had those morality clauses but you could watch people getting away with murder on shows like Alfred Hitchcock presents, followed by Hitch saying 'Oh they got caught eventually...'

yeah, but WotC actually enforces them, to a degree...
taks

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Han: So you think BIO, Troika, and BIS all lie about that? Ok.

That said, despite the the morality clauses, BIo was able to add lots of immoralistici stuff like slavery, mass murder, prositution, and other stuff so it wasn't too limiting in my mind...

taks

Liturgist
yeah, i think they enforce their policy arbitrarily. the devs on hotu did complain that they were a little limited, as i recall... but probably not to the same extent as other games have been.

taks

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
...slavery, mass murder, prositution, and other stuff...
BioWare's personnell policies aside, none of that stuff makes it into the game. Their vision of evil is still "greedy jerk for hire."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
X, what ya babbling about? You not making no sense, yo.

taks

Liturgist
xJEDx said:
Volourn said:
BioWare's personnell policies aside, none of that stuff makes it into the game. Their vision of evil is still "greedy jerk for hire."

it is part of HotU... are you saying it isn't? i'm missing the point i think...

taks

Voss

Erudite
Ah, Jed, all of those have been in Bio games.

And as that Hasbro policy goes, those sorts of things can be in there, as long as its not graphically depicted, and something the hero(es) are working against, so that ultimately good triumphs. Roughly speaking, anyway. Evil is something to be working against...

As for the player being evil, that gets addressed in that list of responses too. Go look for it.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Morons, your bus is leaving.

I never said I don't believe them about the anti sex/violence edicts, I don't buy the bullshit that not having them 'severly limits' them somehow when it comes to stories. You can make lots of good stories without them, or if you're smart enough to work around them. And learn some history taks, TV was very regulated at the time of Alfred Hitchcock presents and others, and they still managed to 'sneak em by'

Jed

Cipher
taks said:
xJEDx said:
Volourn said:

it is part of HotU... are you saying it isn't? i'm missing the point i think...

taks
Yeah, missing the point. It was meant as a joke.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
HanoverF, you should realize that you're talking about morons who were too stupid that even the shortbus didn't allow them to come aboard.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
X, jokes should be funny.

hanover, your MORONIC aside (HAHA!); your point would be exactly what? perhaps, these people don't want to break their countracts as they respect the seirosuness of signing them? Or maybe not. Obviously, as has been mentioned, they have gottena round the 'rules' so, once again,w aht's your point tough stuff?

Oh, I know. You are kewl because you can call people morons. LOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Cum to me at 644 Lakeshoire Dr Unit 36, North Bay, ontario, Kanda, North America, Earth and say that to my face. I seriously doubt you have the BALLS too.

I'll be waiting. :cool:

Enjoy. :lol: I know I will. :lol:

Snuffles

Novice
In HotU you get to buy a slave and brielfy own them, you can then choose between throwing them into a pit fight, with or without some itemz for a cash prize or set them free. Not much, but a bit of something evil?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Whoa!

Whose the tough guy? Am I the tough guy? Are you the tough guy? The gauntlet has been thrown and now we have Volourns address. You're a Cunuck? Crazy. How wise is it to post your address on an Internet buliten board, though? That isn't really your address, is it? That dude must have really pissed you off. Considering all the shit that has been thrown your way, Volourn, it suprises me that you would take this dipshit's comments so personally.

You're letting yourself slide, man.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Snuffles said:
Not much, but a bit of something evil?
I'll let Dr. Evil handle this one: "that's semi-evil, quasi-evil, the margarine of evil, the diet coke of evil, just one calorie, not "evil" enough" :)

taks

Liturgist
HanoverF said:
And learn some history taks, TV was very regulated at the time of Alfred Hitchcock presents and others, and they still managed to 'sneak em by'

what exactly does this have to do with anything i've said? i made it pretty clear that wotc enforces their policy arbitrarily (the most notable would be toee content cuts) while letting some things slide (slavery in hotu)... how exactly does this translate to not understanding history?

taks

Vault Dweller

Developer
Country_Gravy said:
Considering all the shit that has been thrown your way, Volourn, it suprises me that you would take this dipshit's comments so personally.
He doesn't. It amuses him. He does that address thing every now and then when he's bored.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Gravy: Who's taken anything personally? I just want to see if he's all typing or he's a man of action. And, no, I'm not pisse doff. Amused most likely. And, yes, that IS my real address. Mail me soemthing to find out... as long as it's not a bomb. LOL :D

VD understands. Sadly, no one has taken me up on the offer. I want a free ride in an ambulance! :cry:

taks

Liturgist
yes, stealthy.

you're back, r-p... from portugal? was that always your location?

taks

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Hey there taks :) Well yes, i live in Portugal. But i've used several different locations on the 'location' field in the past. I just decided to place my real location and let it stay there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom