Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Dungeon Siege 3 Announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<p><a href="http://www.made2game.com/2010/06/07/dungeon-siege-3-announced/" target="_blank">According to Made2Game:</a> <em>Square Enix has revealed that it&rsquo;s to partner with Obsidian Entertainment &nbsp;to bring Dungeon Seige 3 to the PS3, &nbsp;Xbox 360 and PC.</em></p>
<blockquote>
<p>&ldquo;It is an honour and a pleasure to be part of the legend of DUNGEON SIEGE,&rdquo; said Fergus Urquhart, CEO and co-founder of Obsidian Entertainment. This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for the franchise and Obsidian, and the qualities of both companies in terms of scenario will be visible throughout the game &rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I don't know what to think. Good news? Bad news?</p>

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The legend of Dungeon Siege. As if i was one of the most respected and beloved franchises ever.

Donkey Balls

Educated
Never played DS2, but the first one was so linear, that you were literally walking in a straight line, killing monsters and passing through towns. There was no challenge whatsoever, so I eventually got bored and uninstalled it.

yaster

Liturgist
It was obvious to me that MYSTARY project would be fantasy party-based RTPW, but Dungeon Siege? FUUU

Felix

Arcane
Hope it will be more than an oversized screensaver.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Can't be much worse than previous DS titles. Will most likely still be shit though.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Yeehaw! Go Obsidian! Finally, oldschool, hardcore RPGs are saved.
And I thought, Obsidian only took sloppy seconds from Bioware and Bethesda. I appologize for that.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Wait... what?

So they're making a sequel in a game series that is nothing but camera and combat- the two things they fail miserably at? My lawd it's even cross platform.

How the fuck are they gonna spin their "master storytelling" angle on this one? "It's a choice guys. You kill 499 monsters or 500 monsters."

It's pretty easy to turn this into a great game. One big opening vignette (with c&c) which decides where you plop out in a big open world. You can take various eager people (low skill, cheap) and mercs (trained, expensive) with you. Have loot advancing sidequests, e.g. you find an artifact and you can either fence it, research it, or try and hand it over to clergy for safekeeping. In turn it can either fall into the wrong hands (said hands use it to enslave a nearby nation with necromancy, making it painfully difficult to ahem... siege their dungeons), turn out to be rather useful, or bring raiders upon the church you pawned it off at, etc.

A world that progresses on it's own and plays differently each time to start it up. A man can dream.

Unfortunately it's gonna be some third person action piece of shit with tenuous connections to the RPG genre. It will have mandatory Obsidian forced fight sequences (FFS), a camera that resets to stare at your ass crack if you get too close to an enemy, and a tacked on story to try and make it seem like any of this matters.

[/wallofranting]

Squirly

Educated
DS 2 was a lot better than the first, mostly because the world was a bit more interesting and the skill system was more involved than the first one's. I did get bored of it eventually though. I saw the expansion for the second one for cheap today and I actually considered picking it up.

It's a hack-n-slash, I don't see why everyone's making such a fuss.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
I must admit Feargus knows how to milk publishers. One would imagine Obsidian's reputation of producing bugged, unfinished games should have lots of negative repercussions, making any deals much less probable. Especially because such situations can hurt publishers reputation ("it's only because of Lucas Arts!"). Despite that he manage to sign contracts for more and more games.

Martin

Educated
Now this would be a good thread to vote "this thread is shit mang".

If I had the option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom