Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview MCA talks PST on Matt Chat

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Chris Avellone; Planescape: Torment

<p><a href="http://game-central.org/2010/vidcasts/matt-chat-chris-avellone-pt-2/" target="_blank">Part 2</a> of Matt Chat's <strong>Chris Avellone</strong> special edition is ready for viewing. This episode is all about <strong>Planescape: Torment</strong>, with Chris discussing the creative freedom they had due to being "under the radar", turning RPG clich&eacute;s on their head, and the story behind Ravel. Definitely worth a watch for PST fans or creepy MCA stalkers who keep a photo of him in their wallets at all times.<br /><br />Watch <a href="http://game-central.org/2010/vidcasts/matt-chat-chris-avellone-pt-1/" target="_blank">part 1 here</a>.<br /><br /><em>Thanks to phanboy_iv for letting us know</em></p>

CrimHead

Scholar
I could hear him perfectly. He's very modest about his achievements, I think.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
When he did that remark about Fallout: NV, I could almost see Pete Hines whispering in his ear.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
He wants to make good games, the type I would like. I can see that through this interview and all the others of his that I've read, and that's why I like him.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
kingcomrade said:
He wants to make good games, the type I would like. I can see that through this interview and all the others of his that I've read, and that's why I like him.

Morkar Left

Lockkaliber said:
kingcomrade said:

Murk

Arcane
I really want to watch these things but I cannot stand video interviews anymore - don't have the patience to put up with people's mannerisms.

Is there a text transcript of this?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm surprised you people keep letting this snake oil salesman charm you with his empty promises. Guido Henkel said he was "extremely disorganized and slow"(source) back when he worked on Torment and that hasn't changed at all. All the criticism of Torment broke his brain and convinced him "more combat=better" regardless of its quality. He thinks Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs of all time and honestly believes it's a shining example of choices and consequences in video games (source). Anyone who would make that claim around here would get mocked mercilessly. He doesn't deserve your love.

ChristofferC

Magister
Roguey said:
I'm surprised you people keep letting this snake oil salesman charm you with his empty promises. Guido Henkel said he was "extremely disorganized and slow"(source) back when he worked on Torment and that hasn't changed at all. All the criticism of Torment broke his brain and convinced him "more combat=better" regardless of its quality. He thinks Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs of all time and honestly believes it's a shining example of choices and consequences in video games (source). Anyone who would make that claim around here would get mocked mercilessly. He doesn't deserve your love.
Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time. And it is the only JRPG I've ever enjoyed playing.

Morkar Left

Roguey said:
Guido Henkel said he was "extremely disorganized and slow"(source) back when he worked on Torment and that hasn't changed at all.

Isn´t to be extremely disorganized and slow the typical behavior of most of the artists in the gaming industry? At least for planescape torment he was still fast enough to put something remarkable out. Good things take its time (how long takes it Blizzard for Diablo 3?). But in later games he is maybe too slow or better the production cycles for games are to short.

Never played chrono trigger...

Deleted member 7219

Quite disappointed it wasn't longer. I'd have liked to have heard him speak about his involvement with other games. And yes, the host is a moron.

Dny

Educated
Morkar said:
Good things take its time (how long takes it Blizzard for Diablo 3?).

How long does it take to make a boring, simple-minded hack&slash ? yeah right, if think of any of the diablo as the pinnacle of pc gaming I can understand why you like Avellone so much. The most it had for it was atmosphere and D3 will be the crossing of D2 and World of Warcrap. I feel more respect for Bioware's new shit than for Bliztard.

Morkar Left

Dny said:
Morkar said:
Good things take its time (how long takes it Blizzard for Diablo 3?).

How long does it take to make a boring, simple-minded hack&slash ? yeah right, if think of any of the diablo as the pinnacle of pc gaming I can understand why you like Avellone so much. The most it had for it was atmosphere and D3 will be the crossing of D2 and World of Warcrap. I feel more respect for Bioware's new shit than for Bliztard.

Butthurt about Blizzard changing the artdirection?

Personally Diablo (and usually all typical actionrpgs) bored me. Diablo 1 just a couple of hours, Diablo 2 till the beginning of act 2. But if you like actionrpgs they are topgames, diablo 2 is still unmatched and both defined the genre (and sadly the traditional rpgs too).

relootz

Scholar
The interview was alright but Romero's interview was a lot better imo!

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Hobo Elf said:
so Fallout: New Vegas is Fallout 3 with "more cool stuff"
:?

Well shit. You didn't expect him to pop out his monocle and say "gentlemen, we have thoroughly cleaned Fallout 3 of any plebian impertinence that might get in the way of your most excellent fancy. As such, if God wills it, you shall once again reunite with leisure that will stimulate your considerable intellect instead of simply provoking your contempt by all these boorish and common attempts at creativity. I, Master Chris Avelonne, your most reputable host, am here to give you a taste of your very true aristocratic nature that this democratic society, in its love for mediocrity, denies you with utmost malevolence as you sludge daily through vile, desperate and merchant personalities that scrap for useless material gain and futile self-recognition to hide lack of culture and virtuous character"

MCA isn't really "one of us", I don't think he ever was actually. He's just a decent-good writer in a sea of mediocrity. There's very little to no contest out there, so yeah, that's that. I think the guy has a degree in litterature right? Goes a long way. I don't trust a fucker with a computer science degree to tell me something interesting beyond the obvious witty sarcastic comment because they are all dead inside. It's simple as that, MCA still has (or had, whatever you prefer) a creative streak in him. As far as game design goes, not sure if he's all that good, but I don't really care, the industry needs more guys like him, but the industry also doesn't want more guys like him, so he has to comply. I mean shit you won't be getting another Torment, what the fuck do you think

hoochimama

Liturgist
If he wrote the romanceable npcs it just adds another layer of weird to this Avellone mancrush thing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DramaticPopcorn said:
Keyword "wants", because, let's face it, he rarely succeeds.

I don't think that's fair. He rarely gets the chance to try. Obsidian business philosophy is popamole first, good RPGs only when the financial risk is minimal (which is, apparently, never. I have a feeling MoTB didn't make them a lot of money, considering what they did with Storm of Zehir). The fact they actually suck more at making popamole then companies that specialize in it (like Bioware and Bethesda) is probably a reflection of the fact they are forcing themselves through it, and lack the enthusiasm for mediocrity and mass appeal shown by the aforementioned companies. So its stale popamole instead then just plain popamole.

tunguska

Liturgist
What accent is that?

California Geek American English.

I never realized how much of an uber-geek he is. The ultimate geek overlord. I like that he gave some credit to the planescape setting. It really was a great setting. I wish they would get a license for it and do another game in that setting. Although I think all the parts of PS:T came together well, it really is the only RPG with a real story. While MOTB has a half decent story it didn't have the same kind of suspense. I played PS:T mainly to solve the intriguing mystery and figure out the whole quasi- philosophical "What can change the nature of a man?" thing. It was a story good enough that I could actually take it seriously. Unfortunately I fear that MCA may have been a one hit wonder. PS:T is proof of his creative genius, but he may be like some writers who publish a great first novel and then nothing good ever again. He did make some effort with MOTB and it was a good game, but nothing even in the same league as PS:T.

Aside from his obvious intelligence I do think what makes him special is that he is the only game designer in the entire industry who is also actually a half decent writer. Although Dave Maldonado was also responsible for fleshing out some of the more interesting stories in PS:T. He deserves some credit too for his writing ability. Unfortunately he seems to be working for Blizzard now. Talk about a fall from grace.

1eyedking

Erudite
Chris Avellone is a great guy in an industry full to the brim of douchebags. He's honest, talented, passionate, selfless and modest. As Serious_Business said, the industry needs more people like him ASAP.

His only pitfall is his tendency to surround himself with the wrong company - my bet is that he hasn't found yet the right kind of people to compliment his admirable skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom