Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Bethesda Explains Game Development

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

<p>As a courtesy of Bethesda, they decided <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/06/03/about-game-development-broken-windows/" target="_blank">to share their wisdom</a> on the Bethblog.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>This makes for lots of challenges, and among those challenges is the shifting sands of years of development by dozens of programmers. In the sixteen years since we released The Elder Scrolls: Arena, there have been a lot of changes in the ways games are made (and in the sizes of teams needed to make them) and choices that made sense on the PC-only market we started sometimes make less sense in the light of changing times. Taking this with the constant influx of gameplay, art, and code to a running game in development, one of the biggest hidden risks is &ldquo;Broken Windows&rdquo;.</p>
</blockquote>

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Can someone repost it? I can't get through verification page. I would need to actually select from three menus.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
cromulent? tvfag....
Raghar said:
Can someone repost it? I can't get through verification page. I would need to actually select from three menus.
About Game Development: Broken Windows said:
About Game Development are short essays exploring the world of game development at Bethesda Game Studios. Today’s post is about broken windows.

Our games here at Bethesda Game Studios are complex, sprawling epics with layers of systems, reams of data, stunning art and audio and hours upon hours of fun made by our talented creators of all stripes. Underlying all of that is thousands upon thousands of lines of source code to make it all go, from editing gameplay data to exporting and placing art to actually running the game itself on one of several platforms.

This makes for lots of challenges, and among those challenges is the shifting sands of years of development by dozens of programmers. In the sixteen years since we released The Elder Scrolls: Arena, there have been a lot of changes in the ways games are made (and in the sizes of teams needed to make them) and choices that made sense on the PC-only market we started sometimes make less sense in the light of changing times. Taking this with the constant influx of gameplay, art, and code to a running game in development, one of the biggest hidden risks is “Broken Windows”.

“Broken windows” is a term taken from sociology, specifically criminology theory. The basic idea is that while few people will vandalize a public space, once it has already been vandalized there’s a lower barrier to entry. For example, an unoccupied house without any broken windows will stand unmolested for a long time — but as soon as one window is broken, other broken windows and forms of vandalism are not far behind. It’s actually even a little fun to break a window when lots of others are broken, as even as estimable a character as It’s A Wonderful Life’s George Bailey would tell you.

One key to a successful neighborhood is to keep those broken windows to a minimum; to fix them as fast as you notice them, so you present a great place to live that people want to keep looking nice. For those of us who get to make games for a living, fixing our own broken windows quickly makes an already great job even better.

Some of our broken windows are obvious — they’re the little crash bugs that crop up as new systems are added or as we optimize the code to squeeze every bit of performance we can out of a machine. Others are less so, like missing normal maps or quests that aren’t quite wired up right, though often we can provide warnings to the content creators to let them know the data looks a little askew, and those warnings are themselves broken windows.

The engineering team strives to minimize the time we allow broken windows to stay in the code. We leverage our tools to give us better information about what windows might be broken by turning up all the compiler warnings and fixing even the ones that don’t seem to matter all that much. We do peer review of code, whereby every bit of code that goes into the game gets looked over by another programmer to check for any gaps where crash bugs or other errors might creep through. And we commit ourselves to keeping our artists and designers productive: every time anyone crashes in code we wrote here, we give them an opportunity to tell us what they were doing via a pop-up dialog and put as much information we can about that crash into a database so we can both track it and identify it.

Our artists create great art by constantly keeping each other to higher standards of beauty (though in the case of a super mutant, beauty may be in the eye of the beholder). Our designers constantly push each other to reach higher and higher quality gameplay and narrative. As software developers, the programmers in the engineering department are trying to find ways to do the same thing. We hope you like the results.

Brett Douville leads our systems programming group at Bethesda Game Studios.

circ

Arcane
HI TODD
HI TODD LOL
SHALL WE MAKE A GAME TODD
SURE TODD WHAT KIND OF GAME
WELL EXPLOSIONS AND LOLS
OK TODD HEY DEVELOPERS MAKE US A GAME WITH EXPLOSIONS AND LOLS

crufty

Arcane
great analogy

but would suggest a ctd isn't a broken window. a flawed game mechanic (level scaling) is....

KalosKagathos

Learned
TwinkieGorilla said:
SuicideBunny said:
Our games here at Bethesda Game Studios are complex, sprawling epics

i stopped reading here. :roll:
I still can't get over the fact that Oblivion could easily be one. Make other daedra lords take part in the invasion, allow the player to align his character with any of them (leading to the world being reshaped to mirror the image of the realm that belongs to your daedric patron), emperor's heir or one of the power-hungry lords who want to use the chaos to usurp the throne, and you'll have something p. epic. But that would be too :daggerfall: for contemporary Bethesda, wouldn't it?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it would actually be a worse setting rape than vanilla oblivion...

Donkey Balls

Educated
KalosKagathos said:
I still can't get over the fact that Oblivion could easily be one. Make other daedra lords take part in the invasion, allow the player to align his character with any of them (leading to the world being reshaped to mirror the image of the realm that belongs to your daedric patron), emperor's heir or one of the power-hungry lords who want to use the chaos to usurp the throne, and you'll have something p. epic. But that would be too :daggerfall: for contemporary Bethesda, wouldn't it?
You give them money to do all of that shit.

What a dumbass.
SuicideBunny said:
it would actually be a worse setting rape than vanilla oblivion...
Setting rape? It's their setting, they can retcon whatever they want. And they did retcon a plenty of shit with Morrowind too, BTW.

Sarvis

Erudite
KalosKagathos said:
(leading to the world being reshaped to mirror the image of the realm that belongs to your daedric patron),

Leading to 5 times the art resources needed to create skins/models for each Daedric version of the world. (Assuming there are 5 Daedra lords.)

Not that I see how choosing between 5 patrons and then going through the same quests (with one or two differences) makes something "epic." Or is even a real choice.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Sarvis said:
Leading to 5 times the art resources needed to create skins/models for each Daedric version of the world. (Assuming there are 5 Daedra lords.)
I was thinking of a cutscene and a credits roll.
Not that I see how choosing between 5 patrons and then going through the same quests (with one or two differences) makes something "epic." Or is even a real choice.
Where did the same quests part come from?

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
One key to a successful neighborhood is to keep information and acknowledgment about those broken windows to a minimum (a smokescreen, if you will); to ignore them as much as you can, so you present the illusion, initially, that everything is looking nice. For those of us who get to make games for a living, not bothering to fix our own broken windows means we can get other people in the neighborhood who love us (fans) to do it and not have to pay anything, making an already great job even more efficient for the bottom line.

Fixed, on general principle.

bhlaab

Erudite
szoreny said:
Yes an analogy is required to help us understand why Bethsoft fixes bugs and content errors.

Not only that but bethesdas games are some of the crashiest buggiest underperforming pieces of shit

it's been roughly five years, why is my gtx275 and dual core cpu having trouble with the fucking imperial city market district? why does fallout 3 hard crash my system and require a full windows reboot if i play it for 20 min

Also the analogy makes no fucking sense. If there's one bug, more bugs will be likely to join in? What?

visions

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:

I think thhis would have been a really cool idea.

As for the setting rape; who cares when it's in a way that makes things cooler and less bland.

I've been thinking quite a lot about how cool it would be if there would be a rpg in which you are supposed to destroy the world/wreak havoc, and the "good" path would be like a more or less viable alternative but it wouldn't be the "default" thing to do, similar to how the evil path was presented in Arcanum.

bonch

Educated
KalosKagathos said:
TwinkieGorilla said:
SuicideBunny said:
Our games here at Bethesda Game Studios are complex, sprawling epics

i stopped reading here. :roll:

p. epic

Sarvis

Erudite
KalosKagathos said:
Sarvis said:
I was thinking of a cutscene and a credits roll.

Wow. A cutscene and credits roll. EPIC!

Not to mention the game allows you to play after the credits, doesn't it? So you'd transform the world for your chosen Daedric lord and then go back to wandering around the world exactly as it was before. Spectacular. You should go into game design!

Where did the same quests part come from?

From having played RPGs before.

What, you think the designers are going to design 5 entirely different quest-paths? No, it'll be

Daedric Lord A: Go get me the crystal generating DLB's Oblivion portal, so I can be the supreme ruler.

Daedric Lord B: Go get me the crystal generating DLA's Oblivion portal, I'm sure he's about to betray me!

CrimHead

Scholar
Oh fuck yeah

:avatard:

I sense a lulzy read coming on

Edit:

Our games here at Bethesda Game Studios are complex, sprawling epics with layers of systems, reams of data, stunning art and audio and hours upon hours of fun made by our talented creators

:epic:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom