Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Interview with Gearhead creator Joseph Hewitt

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Gearhead; Joseph Hewitt

We have a talk with Joseph Hewitt, creator of the popular giant robot roguelike Gearhead. Here's a snippet.

I've tried to fill GearHead with as many different
activities as I can. Many of these are drawn from
anime. The PC can join the army, become a pop star,
collect superpowered pets, take a vacation at the hot
springs resort, find a girlfriend or boyfriend,
construct an intelligent robot, and do many other
things.

Interaction with NPCs is very important in GearHead.
It's the only way a starting character can get jobs.
In most RPGs the easiest character for a beginner to
play is one who is good at combat... in GearHead, I
think that the easiest character for a beginner is one
who is very charismatic.​

I've always wanted to be a charismatic robot. Read more here.

Anonymous

I like the unique setting and ideas, but the anime stuff is a bit bleh. Still a pretty decent game, though, with good ideas.

Would be kinda neat if it all was in a 1950's sci-fi kinda setting (yeah, yeah, Fallout did this, but I mean without all the Post-Apocalypse stuff). You know like the 'HOMES OF THE FUTURE!' with the plates you wash down the drain and family helicopters.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Your HTML is rooted. You didn't try to edit the post with the forum edit button instead of the content system did you? Naughty Spazmo.

GearHead said:
I've heard some people complain that GearHead is too anime-like, and other people complain that it isn't anime-like enough. I guess that means I've found a good balance.
Woah, did that part of the interview set off my "DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON" alarm bells and flashing lights, or what? Either too anime-like or not anime-like enough. Yeah, that's a good balance right there. The people who hate anime think it's too anime and the people who like anime think it's not enough anime. That's not balance, that's messing up.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Any anime is too much, IMHO.

Still, it's a very cool game with a lot of freedom and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom