Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon: The Black Fortress Revealed

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<p>Spiderweb Software <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html" target="_blank">reveals details</a> about their new RPG.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Spiderweb Software brings you Avadon: The Black Fortress, the first chapter in a new, epic fantasy saga. You will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is law. Experience an exciting fantasy role-playing adventure and battle a conspiracy to destroy your people.</p>
</blockquote>

Andhaira

Arcane
Good to hear the news. However, the engine and graphics seem too much like AVernum/Geneforge. He really needs to break away from the mold. Games like Eschalon have set the bar so high, Vogel really needs to step up his game to keep in the running.

Antagonist

Liturgist
AndhairaX said:
Games like Eschalon have set the bar so high, Vogel really needs to step up his game to keep in the running.

You'd have a point if Eschalon had any interesting gameplay, story or setting accompanying its nice graphics.

Mortmal

Arcane
No its really prettier than usual , prettier than avernum 6 even , look at the character paperdolland character portraits , look at the surroundings, sharper better textures. One thing worrying me is the diablo skill tree and he mention of 4 character classes, but it seems to be just a replanning of usual avernum abilities.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So this is just the same shit you always get from Spiderweb just dressed up to look better? That's lame. Why didn't he try to go in another direction? I am really disappointed.

I'll buy it.

Gwendo

Augur
Eschalon's graphics aren't that better. ust more colourful and smoother. But we didn't see this game in action yet. I hope it has animations this time.

And combat, it will certainly be much better that Eschalon's.

Dezzy

Novice
The character portrait looks good graphics-wise, but he's fugly.

Gwendo

Augur
For the first time, Vogell will not finish the Mac version earlier around November/December, as usual.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The Mac version will still come out before the PC one, from interview comments
Will the new game follow the normal Spiderweb release schedule, with a Mac release followed by a PC port some months later?

For years now, we have release the Mac version in Late November and the Windows version in Late February, for a roughly three month delay. I don't think that this will change any time soon. I don't ever get involved in the Mac vs. PC debate. For me, personally, I get work done faster on a Mac, and, since I do all the coding and design myself, I absolutely need to work in the way that makes the most efficient use of my time.

But who knows, maybe he changed his plans.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What the fuck? I'm not even halfway through Avernum 6 yet. The man is a machine.

Nice to see him try his hands on a new setting. I hope he keeps character development fun with traits and the like. I'm also wondering if you start the game with one character and then gather npc's.

Monocause

Arcane
Next year release - "Geneclash - Crystal Pit"

Press release text:

- More than 30 spells to choose from
- A big, free demo
- Explore a huge world full of monsters and loot
- Hire an army of loyal, obedient mutant medieval townsfolk.

Gwendo

Augur
Brother None said:
The Mac version will still come out before the PC one, from interview comments
Will the new game follow the normal Spiderweb release schedule, with a Mac release followed by a PC port some months later?

For years now, we have release the Mac version in Late November and the Windows version in Late February, for a roughly three month delay. I don't think that this will change any time soon. I don't ever get involved in the Mac vs. PC debate. For me, personally, I get work done faster on a Mac, and, since I do all the coding and design myself, I absolutely need to work in the way that makes the most efficient use of my time.

But who knows, maybe he changed his plans.

Or maybe he will release the Mac version in January and the PC version in March/Abril, considering both "early 2011"...

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was really hoping for something other than fantasy…

PorkaMorka

Arcane
The graphics are def. sexy (although that main character looks like a <negative adjective possibly questioning his sexuality here>).

However,

It has a 3 person party, with large solo segments.

Significant :decline: of Vogel.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
hm, action rpg skilltrees. suckage.

Yeah, noticed that too.

Definitely signs of decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom