Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Blades of Avernum is out !

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Blades of Avernum; Spiderweb Software

Our sources (ok, it was <b>Psilon</b>) have confirmed that critically acclaimed and highly anticipated <a href=http://www.avernum.com/blades/index.html>Blades of Avernum</a> is finally available for <a href=http://www.avernum.com/blades/index.html>download</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In <b>A Small Rebellion</b>, you are sent to infiltrate and destroy a band of rebels against the Empire. The question: will you fight them, or join them? In The Valley of Dying Things, you delve deep into an enormous, abandoned school of magic, looking for the secret to a deadly plague.
<br>
<br>
In <b>The Za-Khazi Run</b>, you rocket down a subterranean river, racing against time to reinforce a besieged fort. First, though, you must outwit the many powerful, bizarre creatures living along the route. And in <b>Diplomacy With the Dead</b>, you have to help a remote city deal with the powerful vampire who lives just outside town. This turns out to be much more complicated than it sounds.</blockquote>I was actually browsing my vast games collection thinking what long forgotten game I should replay, when I saw this.
<br>
<br>
<b>Psilon</b>, thanks a lot!
<br>

ladylove

Novice
I've been playing for the last 6 weeks (ish). Its very well written, definately on a par with Jeff's other games if not better in my oppinion. Each time you go to turn it off you are stuck with that "Just five more minutes" thought, this game has resulted in some very late nights for me.

I've been playing it the last few weeks as well and its a solid game. Cosmetically you couldn't believe its as addictive as it is but it truly is a bloody good play.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Hrm. I generally have the rule not to judge a game by it's graphic, but this one really seems like kiddy graphics.

Does it play like a book? If so, it might be good then.

Anonymous

You're a huge fucking idiot if you just Avernum by it's graphics. The games are excellent, i've been playing them like a madman and NOW BLADES IS OUT WOOWOWOWOWOOOOOOOOOOOWOWOWOO :pelvicthrust:

Psilon

Erudite
It's quite a good game. The scenarios are well designed and exhibit most of the engine functionality. Unlike other "it's a game... AND an editor!" products, the official scenarios are more than just boring slogfests designed to show off the engine.

The earlier scenarios, in fact, can be rather challenging at first; you really need to use all your characters' abilities. By the time I got to Diplomacy with the Dead, however, I had leveraged my Avernum experience a bit too well. (Not to mention it was my fourth Blades party, so I knew what worked in the engine.) There are certain spells which do insane amounts of damage, and one of them even gets counted as melee damage. It'll rip demons, vampires, and other relatively magic-resistant creatures apart. I suspect some of the user-made scenarios will be a lot better for high-level parties.

If you ignore Avernum just because of its graphics, you have no right to complain about the lack of good RPGs lately.

Jed

Cipher
I'm still trying to finish Avernum I, but that's because of my limited time. The game is quite excellent. Way better than NWN, ToEE, or pretty much any other games out this last year (with the exception of Geneforge II).

Whipporowill

Erudite
I'm impressed that Jeff has been able to improve the right things all along. The games are getting better and better - and his style of telling stories are excellent. There's not much of an evil path in the first episode, but we're presented with a lot of people that actually make you feel sorry for them (i e the children).

I like (very much). Although I almost missed the rest of the overland map and ran right to the place - a wee bit obvious possibly? He should've made it harder to get in - and place the "key" in town further away.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
"Disturbing long-buried magic is one of the many occupational hazards associated with being a miner" How true :lol:

Psilon

Erudite
Even though that's completely off-topic, I'll bring it back on-topic.

Look for Comedy Central character cameos in the later towns. Both the Daily Show and South Park make appearances.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom