Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Witcher Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<p>Front Towards Gamer decided to review cheap shit, and they do it in a cheap fashion, trying to break the record for the shortest review ever. Their first subject is The Witcher, 9/10, one of the most loved&nbsp; RPGs around here. <a href="http://fronttowardsgamer.com/2010/05/24/20-dollar-game-review-the-witcher/" target="_blank">Let's hear what they have to say:</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Mechanically the game is great. It looks nice, plays nice, has good combat, great sounds, and the musical score is incredible (if you like metal, there is an album available that is inspired by <em>The Witcher</em>). It&rsquo;s got a very deep control scheme that might intimidate some users, but once you get used to it, it works very well. I&rsquo;m not gonna waste time talking about any of this stuff since it&rsquo;s an old game, but it holds up pretty decent. If you own a PC and like RPGs and haven&rsquo;t played this game, you are a very sad person indeed.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Have you been intimidated by the deep control scheme of this old classic? Probably.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98006-the-witcher-review.html">GB</a></p>

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I still haven't played The Witcher but I saw the first hour or so of it when I was staying with PennyAnte. Longest fucking intro movie ever. Swear to God it's like 30 minutes from the opening CGI cutscene, through the opening in-game cutscene, before you actually play. Jeez.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
ScottishMartialArts said:
I still haven't played The Witcher but I saw the first hour or so of it when I was staying with PennyAnte. Longest fucking intro movie ever. Swear to God it's like 30 minutes from the opening CGI cutscene, through the opening in-game cutscene, before you actually play. Jeez.

You are clearly unfamiliar with the Metal Gear Solid games. :lol:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Long intros are bad?

Mechanically the game is great.
Actually mechanically it was mediocre.

It looks nice, plays nice, has good combat, great sounds, and the musical score is incredible
With those I agree but

has good combat
?
Combat was pretty bad imo. The idea was good but execution was horrible and it ended to "select proper combat style, click until ur enemy dies".

it’s an old game
:retarded:

Konjad said:
It’s also mature in the “Oh F***! That c*** bag just f***ing s*** on my sword! Now I’m gonna have to cut his head off and feed it to his w**** of a wife!” kind of way. That’s right, this game is not for kids! It’s filled with cursing, drugs, blood, violence, prostitutes, sex, and nudity.

roll-a-die

Magister
Talby said:
ScottishMartialArts said:

You are clearly unfamiliar with the Metal Gear Solid games. :lol:
Or the persona series, who at least give you some control but largely the opening cut scene is around 2-3 hours long. In terms of how long it takes the plot to start.

Rhalle

Magister
I've said it before, but:

If CDPR backs off the sex cards in order to include more Bioware puppet sex, then it will be fail.

One, because the dirty cards were-- admit it-- just old-school awesome; and two, because the Letters-to-Penthouse style sexing of everything that walked by Geralt was the proper balance for the Alvin's Adopted Father plot, which would have been emo and cloying, if it didn't have that cavalier sexual promiscuity at the opposite end to balance it out. Puppet sex for its own sake in W2 won't be good, I don't reckon.

The W2 trailer bit, with the assassin talking 'there's a head crowned' is voice-acted somewhat rudimentarily, but the writing sounds good, and I'm totally hyped for W2.

Anyway, if my memory is right, the intro to Witcher is shorter than that of Mass Effect. And Mass Effect, from the time you press Start, to the time that you can actually control your character on Eden Prime-- I know because I timed it-- is well over twenty minutes.

DefJam101

Arcane
Sagus said:
Konjad said:
It’s also mature in the “Oh F***! That c*** bag just f***ing s*** on my sword! Now I’m gonna have to cut his head off and feed it to his w**** of a wife!” kind of way. That’s right, this game is not for kids! It’s filled with cursing, drugs, blood, violence, prostitutes, sex, and nudity.
Not really no

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Posting a review of an old game as 'news'... a shitty one at that. FFS, Codex, FFS.

DefJam101

Arcane
I don't actually remember that much swearing in TW... There was the occasional forced line, almost always a "Well feed me a sliced donkey cock and fuck my step uncle, that's amazing!" type of line, which I assume was the result of poor translation (trying to invent new idiomatic expressions). Also the sex cards, which were pretty lolfail but easily avoidable and forgettable.

...but that was it. Everything else was relatively down to earth and tolerable, or at least witty, and certainly never approaching the excesses of Dragon Age stupidity, what with its exaggerated blood spatters on every surface and GUI element.

edit:
metal album based on The Witcher
Mhmm?

denizsi

Arcane
Give it another 20 years and this barely one page shit "review" can be regarded as classic literature, a must read for all self respecting fans of literature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom