Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus talks about KOTOR II

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.valhallagamers.com>Valhalla Gamers</a> posted an <a href=http://www.valhallagamers.com/index.cfm?nbdPage=Reviews&Process=Read&Article_ID=505>interview</a> with <b>Mr.Urquhart</b> of <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obsidian Entertainment</a> about highly anticipated <b>KOTOR II: Return of Feargus</b>, now with customizable lightsaber hilts!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>ValhallaGamers: I’ve noticed from some of the screenshots of KOTOR2 that there seems to be a darker tone to the game. Given the title it makes sense. However I am wondering was it your intention from the start to make a darker sequel a la Empire Strikes back?</i>
<br>
<br>
Feargus Urquhart: Our lead designer, Chris Avellone, has always been into the slightly darker aspects of story. Also, while I don’t think we intentionally tried to follow the flow of the movies, they are a part of us, so I wouldn’t be surprised that influenced us while we weren’t looking.
<br>
<br>
<i>ValhallaGamers: I’ll admit I’m a big fan of the dark side. Unfortunately in the first KOTOR many felt the dark side was portrayed, in many of the side missions and dialogue, as nothing more than petty thugs and aside from a few quests there wasn’t very much depth given to the dark side. Can we look forward to a more subtle/sinister approach in regards to earning dark side points?</i>
<br>
<br>
Feargus Urquhart: This is one of the things that we are putting a lot of time into. We are trying to make the dark side seem less, as you say, like petty thugs and more like the intelligent power hungry people they came off as in the movies.</blockquote>That alone would be a huge improvement already
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
They delivered Planescape: Torment. There's no reason why they won't deliver KOTOR II. It'd be different coming from Silver Style.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Exitium: They also delivered IWD2. They also "delivered' FO3, BG3, and that other crappy game known as Torn that didn't quite make it out. LOL There's a lot of reasons why they'll deliver. There's also a lot reasons why they won't. Stop being a fanboy.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think you just got served by Volourn, Exit.

KotOR II will definitely be a pivotal moment for Obsidian, I think that's one thing we can all agree on.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yep, good points, Volourn. I feel the same way, although I'm more optimistic on account of KOTOR II being basically a KOTOR mod, so there aren't many things that could go wrong. Although some things like "we are listening to the most retarded forum members who want customizable saber hilts just like we listened to those dumbfucks who wanted a car in Fallout 2" kinda bother me.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Frankly, I think the idea about customizing your hilt to facilitate different fighting styles makes more sense than the magic gems of the previous games, but of course this just seems like an aestethic option.

DemonKing

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Yep, good points, Volourn. I feel the same way, although I'm more optimistic on account of KOTOR II being basically a KOTOR mod, so there aren't many things that could go wrong.

Well seeing as every BIS PC game that actually made it to release since Fallout 2 was basically an IE "mod", then I think there is a pretty good chance they can pull off a decent KOTOR "mod"/sequel.

It's when they try to produce a game with their own engine that I'll start to worry, but then again maybe Feargus will just end up licencing the DA or Source engine in the future and let his team stick to their strengths.

merry andrew

Erudite
Volourn said:
Exitium: They also delivered IWD2. They also "delivered' FO3, BG3, and that other crappy game known as Torn that didn't quite make it out. LOL There's a lot of reasons why they'll deliver. There's also a lot reasons why they won't. Stop being a fanboy.

What was so wrong about IWD2? Also, you are implying that KOTOR2 won't be released? Super! :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, despite my heavily evil post, I am looking forward to KOTOR2. But, I'm expecting a KOTOR2 sequel; not some brand new game. I'm sure I'll enjoy it but if anyone actually things like controls, inventory, and the combat will change dramatically; they better think again.

Merry: What was wrong with IWD2? Simple. It sucked. Period.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:

Good points, Volourn, but you really can't cite FO3 and BG3 in this context. I didn't keep up with FO3 rumors, but the BG3 stuff looked pretty cool; these both could have shaped up to be great games, if it weren't for Interplay's spiral into apocalyptic irrelevance.

Btw, my favorite part of Feargus' interview:
ValhallaGamers: Many fans found the romance aspect of the game quite intriguing. Can we expect to see a romance for your character in the sequel as well? If there is what have you done to improve on it? Will you have more than one choice of characters to romance?

Feargus Urquhart: We plan to continue in the foot steps of the first product with the romances. As to what we plan to do to improve on it, we’ll have more to talk about this soon.

Spazmo

Erudite
Jefferson was JE's baby and he's off growing his hair out so he can be John Romero's new girlfriend. Also, yes, IWD2 was total ass, but given the circumstances... it was still shit, but I'm still pretty sure Obsidian could make something neat if they get decent support from LucasArts.

ValhallaGamers said:
I’ll admit I’m a big fan of the dark side. Unfortunately in the first KOTOR many felt the dark side was portrayed, in many of the side missions and dialogue, as nothing more than petty thugs and aside from a few quests there wasn’t very much depth given to the dark side. Can we look forward to a more subtle/sinister approach in regards to earning dark side points?

Odd. You always see a given game getting everything about it praised unto oblivion and then when the sequel comes along, interviewers will mention how such and such aspect wasn't that hot in the original. I can't specifically accuse this site as I can't find a KOTOR review on it, but it's something I've noticed.

Also, if MCA is the lead designer, what's Feargus doing? PR? Paperwork? Gopher?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Azael said:
Frankly, I think the idea about customizing your hilt to facilitate different fighting styles makes more sense than the magic gems of the previous games, but of course this just seems like an aestethic option.
Different fighting styles? Who said anything about implementing that?

merry andrew said:
Volourn said:
What was wrong with IWD2? Simple. It sucked. Period
I liked it quite a bit
May I draw your attention to my signature?

Jora

Arcane
Volourn said:
They also "delivered' FO3, BG3,

Yes, those games were cancelled. What has that to do with KotOR 2 possibly not being good? Are you you saying they were cancelled because they were bad? Plz explain. :roll:

suibhne

Erudite
S4ur0n27 said:
Spazmo hates everything anyways.

That was Volourn, actually.

I just want to make sure we keep them separate, because they're so similar in most respects. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Explain what? Ex was saying that the fellows at Obsidian deliver good products.. Well.. you can't deliver good products if you don't even deliver. LOLOLOLOLOL

Spazmo

Erudite
Yeah, well, you live in the same city as Craprunner, which clearly reflects on your value as a person. But yeah, I agree that IWD2 was a turd. Susan sucks too.

Jora

Arcane
Volourn said:
Explain what? Ex was saying that the fellows at Obsidian deliver good products.. Well.. you can't deliver good products if you don't even deliver. LOLOLOLOLOL

So it was just a joke? OK then.

Edit: But you should still explain what the people of Obsidian having bad luck with those two cancelled products has to do with Exitium "being a fanboy".

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't see how I got served by Volourn, Saint. MCA delivered a pretty solid game with PS:Torment. Granted, his work in Fallout 2 wasn't at all stellar though if it [New Reno] was in the proper setting, it would have been alright. But it wasn't suitable for Fallout.

If he can deliver the same solid design/writing experience he did with PS:T there's really no reason why KOTOR2 will be lacklustre in those departments. JE is another issue entirely, and he has yet to prove himself, and he has got nothing to do with KOTOR2.

Spazmo

Erudite
PS:T was a triumph, yes, but MCA didn't make it alone. How much of the PS:T team is now working on KOTOR2? Besides that, the Planescape setting is far, far more interesting than Star Wars. Certainly there's potential in KOTOR2, but it's not already a sure thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom