Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>You have an XBox360 ? <a href="http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/xbox360/fallout-new-vegas" target="_blank">Then this preview is for YOU!</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Fans of the most recent <strong>Fallout 3</strong> and its ration of subsequent DLC content expansions will feel right at home. It's a skill-and-stat-intensive RPG-game <a id="KonaLink1" class="kLink" style="text-decoration: underline ! important; position: static;" href="http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/xbox360/fallout-new-vegas#" target="undefined"></a>bolted onto a first-person exploration engine, suitable for FPS-style play... but modded with the brilliant VATS combat scheme, which allows the otherwise real-time gameplay to be paused at critical junctures to examine enemies for potential weak spots, target specific body parts and&mdash;action points permitting&mdash;even queue up several targeted attacks in a row for a devastating, gangbusters-style breach-and-clear on a room full of mutated baddies (or everyday, unpleasant fellow humans). At its most elegant, it's a best-of-both-worlds kind of scheme, allowing for both the urgency of point-of-view immersion and the deliberate application of bullet-time, tactical finesse.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Bullet-time, tactical finesse.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97825-fallout-new-vegas-preview.html">GB</a></p>

Fez

Erudite
Tactical finesse = "push button to win" mode for your FPS

It's wasn't until I installed a mod that alters it to be real time, and lowers the damage boost a bit, that I realized just how overpowered vanilla VATS actually was. It's absolutely broken.

It's not 'bullet time', it's 'you gave a Chrono-Mage an AK-47 and a near infinite pool of mana'.

There's a mod that turns it into actual bullet time. Rather fun, since it apparently doesn't change your defense

In vanilla, I didn't use it unless it was a lulsy enemy I was going to kill easily anyway

Amid all the superficial, mechanical familiarity, however, there are a host of subtle improvements. One of the biggies is the new so-called 'companion wheel', a pop-up interface that provides a very streamlined method for managing any non-player-character companions that might join you throughout the game. The single interface allows players to oversee, at a glance, each NPC's health, inventory, and stim-pack usage situation, and is also used for base AI behavior and/or issuing specific commands.

grrr...

Luzur

Good Sir
Fallout 4-5 will prob be made totally in flash and hosted at newsgrounds for the final streamlining.

Fez

Erudite
Progress Quest II: A Post Apocalyptic Screensaver

racofer

Thread Incliner
xfuhaf.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's amusing that when Obsidian is making a game that is developed by Bethesda, suddenly there is a lot less criticism from professional gaming journalists.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm looking forward to AP, but I'm not even giving New Vegas a chance. Fuck the oblivion engine and anything made for it.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Jaesun said:
It's amusing that when Obsidian is making a game that is developed by Bethesda, suddenly there is a lot less criticism from professional gaming journalists.

huh? am i crazy in that i remember 99% of "professional" gaming journalists sucking FO3's cock?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
TwinkieGorilla said:
Jaesun said:

huh? am i crazy in that i remember 99% of "professional" gaming journalists sucking FO3's cock?

Yep, I fully expect New Vegas to get the 99% blowjob treatment from Professional Gaming Journalists. This is actually good for Obsidian, however.

SUCK IT SKYWAY! ;)

denizsi

Arcane
The magazine scans are full of spoilers which sound only half-silly :evil: I can already extrapolate from the article and feel like I've played 3 times through the game with different choices.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
TwinkieGorilla said:
jaesun i don't get it what.

My point is basically that because Bethesda is the Producer of this game, Obsidian will receive no bad criticism for this game, from say the unholy trinity IGN etc... it will get 9/10! 10/10!! GEAM OF YEAR!!!11

I'll keep following more reviews, and see if my theory is correct.

Deleted Member 10432

gamerevolution said:
Fans of the most recent <strong>Fallout 3</strong>
As opposed to the other four Fallout 3s, of course.

Seriously, who wrote this shit?

Black

Arcane
Fez said:
Tactical finesse = "push button to win" mode for your FPS
Why did you return anyway? You won't like what's going on now with Fallout being inaccessible, Dragon Age being the best RPG since Arcanum and other stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom