Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fallout 3 Forgot the Female Protagonist

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<p>... and tainted all larping possibilities in the process, <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28353/InDepth_Character_Creation_Gender_And_Fallout_3.php" target="_blank">such is the conclusion of Gamasutra</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Speaking of player-directed characterization, the game universe did not seem to have been constructed to account for my protagonist being female. Women sort-of flirted with my character; men treated her with male-to-male-style aggression.<br /> <br /> It's possible to imagine an interesting version of the wasteland in which most women are lesbians, but pretty clearly the game world hadn't developed this way intentionally. The whole time I was playing, the social interactions kept reminding me that being female was the "other" choice, the marked choice, the non-default; the thing they didn't bother to write for or program until last.<br /> <br /> Matters could be much worse. At least <em>Fallout 3</em> didn't, like <em>Heavy Rain</em>, establish the sole female protagonist with a leeringly detailed near-rape scene and then go on exploiting her sexual risk for the entire rest of the narrative. So at least the female option isn't written in there with the obvious intention of providing amusement to men; it's just equally obviously an afterthought.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Let's be silent for a minute, and mourn the wasted potential.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97821-character-creation-gender-and-fallout-3.html">GB</a></p>

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
In any case, I couldn't help but be impressed by the degree to which my story in Fallout 3 felt like it was something unique, probably a lot different from someone else's story.

Some of that had to do with the way the player is allowed to control the features of storytelling -- pace, exposition, rate at which the backstory is uncovered. Some of it had to do with the direct control over the protagonist's choices.

Oddly, it was most often the former aspect that I found narratively meaningful, while intentional choices often let me down.

So you can, like, totally play the game either fast or slowly, zomg. Sheer brilliance right there. It's like reading Twilight 1 page a day, totally changes the storytelling and narrative.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Meh, those articles always go like this:

There are no gender checks in dialogues: "The game is inconsiderate! It treats my character as a man!"

There are gender checks in dialogue: "The game is sexist! It can't stop reminding me that my character is female!"

Jason

chasing a bee
VoD never reads my newsposts and he won't look at me during sex. I don't know if the relationship is worth saving at this point.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Clockwork Knight said:
The things Charon and I got up to! And yet I feel I've missed half the game, as a good friend was obsessed by his relationship with Fawkes, a character I don't ever recall meeting.
Isn't fawkes obligatory?
I'm not sure about this but it should be possible not to open his cell and retrieve the GECK with a protection from Rad-X.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Matters could be much worse. At least Fallout 3 didn't, like Heavy Rain, establish the sole female protagonist with a leeringly detailed near-rape scene and then go on exploiting her sexual risk for the entire rest of the narrative. So at least the female option isn't written in there with the obvious intention of providing amusement to men; it's just equally obviously an afterthought.

WHAT a load of new-feminist bullshit.
One the so called rape scene was
was a nightmare where she DIES!!I don't know about you, but semi rape/murder sounds like a nightmare to me good show heavy rain

For the rest of the game she uses her feminism charms in 2 situations and they all makes sense in the context of the world the game is set in.

One is the strip show where she is trying to get close to a asshole and ends up beating the fuck out of the chauvinist pig.
The second one is where she tries to get information out of a crazy person and she ends up killing the fuck out of him with power saw

Over all every situation where she is so called vulnerable ends with Paige beating the retard out of the people trying to hurt her.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Brother None said:
You guys already posted this here

Jason said:
VoD never reads my newsposts and he won't look at me during sex. I don't know if the relationship is worth saving at this point.

Very perceptive. Codex.txt?

I, basically, wanted to... post it anew to... emphasize, like, the taint... the taint... on the larping possibilities. That's the reason.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
this article is moot anyway...women arent' supposed to be playing videogames. they're supposed to be naked in my kitchen sucking my dick trying to figure out how babby is formed while making me dinner.

Fez

Erudite
CrimsonAngel said:
For the rest of the game she uses her feminism charms in 2 situations and they all makes sense in the context of the world the game is set in.

One is the strip show where she is trying to get close to a asshole and ends up beating the fuck out of the chauvinist pig.
The second one is where she tries to get information out of a crazy person and she ends up killing the fuck out of him with power saw

Over all every situation where she is so called vulnerable ends with Paige beating the retard out of the people trying to hurt he.

Deep, man. Deep.

StrangeCase

Educated
The writing of Fallout 3 is terrible, anyway. I have no idea why this is a valid question. It's like being served dog shit for a meal, then complaining that it offered little to a palette accustomed to European cooking.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
It was all good up until...
Matters could be much worse. At least Fallout 3 didn't, like Heavy Rain, establish the sole female protagonist with a leeringly detailed near-rape scene and then go on exploiting her sexual risk for the entire rest of the narrative. So at least the female option isn't written in there with the obvious intention of providing amusement to men; it's just equally obviously an afterthought.
So, what? He's for including female-specific story, but at the same time he goes and bashes what is probably a good example of one.

Heartwarden

Educated
I think Fallout 3 forgot about the protagonist entirely, only to suddenly remember at the end.

After-all, anyone meant to recognise you certainly does so through an entire tank's worth of armour plating. And from their last witnessing you as a babe, no less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom