Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KOTOR II forums news

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?act=Search&nav=au&CODE=show&searchid=ece05bbf0bdccc449238a3b391bb5a74&search_in=posts&result_type=posts>Chris Avellone</a> made a few comments that you may find interesting.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There will be points in the games where certain companions (or a group of companions you select) branch off and accomplish side missions. The effect is intended to be like the sequence on the Death Star in Episode IV, where Luke, Obi-Wan, and the Droids all go about seperate missions, then reunite later on
<br>
<br>
I don't like to lock CNPC quest down to romance quests - it's more like we have relationship quests in K2, which aren't tied solely to romance but how much you are an example to your allies and how you treat them. Things like building friendships, loyalties, developing grudging respect or contempt, and occasionally the need to strangle the life out of each other will occur. And you can cheerfully shut them all down and ignore them if you want, though your companions may occasionally lay into each other without prompting.
<br>
<br>
Actually, you don't go in search of your lightsaber because it hasn't been lost - when you get exiled from the Jedi Order, they just don't let you keep your lightsaber. Sure, you could make a new one. But you're right, yours is special and worth reclaiming... if you choose to. </blockquote>What's the deal with the Jedi Order taking away your lightsaber? Is it like a police movie? You are a disgrace to our Jedi Precinct. Your Jedi badge (or a robe) and a lightsaber, please!
<br>

Psilon

Erudite
Yeah, that doesn't exactly make sense. Then again, wasn't Luke's original (blue) lightsaber his father's old one? It's been a while since I watched Star Wars, so I don't remember exactly when Kenobi said.

suibhne

Erudite
Wonder how Jolee held on to his lightsaber all those years, eh? Wasn't he ejected from the Order, or am I misremembering one of his rambling old-person diatribes?

Vault Dweller

Developer
I think it was. Kenobi could have picked it up after Anakin's demise, but then again, it could have been different:

Darth Vader: I quit!
Jedi Bureaucrat: Please fill these forms and return your standard issue lightsaber
Darth Vader: Fucking lame-ass bureaucrats!
Jedi Bureaucrat: Hmm, your saber is scratched and kinda burned, we're going to deduct that from your pay.
Darth Vader: Unbe-fucking-lievable! I'm going straight to the Sith!
Jedi Bureaucrat: I wouldn't do that. You signed a non-comp agreement, if we see you within a parsec from a Sith, we're going to sue your ass off.....
Narrator: ...and that explains why Darth Vader hated Jedi so much...

Btw, how come nobody confiscated Jolee's lightsaber?

Vault Dweller

Developer
What exactly does your eloquent post refer to: searching for long lost and loaded with sentimental values and cool powahz lightsaber in K2 or Jolee's unregistered lightsaber?

Spazmo

Erudite
Funny thing about Vader/Anakin's lightsaber is how casually he seems to lose them in Episode 2. That boy gets two or three sabers destroyed in that movie, doesn't he?

Anyways!

MCA said:
...though your companions may occasionally lay into each other without prompting.

I hope that won't be like the Carth-Mission "you're just a kid" "am not" "am too" exchanges. Man, I hated those.

Vault Dweller

Developer
How about instead of "lay into"...

......though your companions may occasionally lie with each other without prompting.
Wouldn't that be something?

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Maybe Jolee found his lightsaber on a dark jedi? They're not too tough to kill, and they're not too rare.

Shevek

Arcane
Who cares if they take your lightsaber away? Can't you just make another one? What makes your old one more special than the one you can make? Odd.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Some interesting stuff about NPCs

Akari said:
does the number of possible recruitable npcs exceed the number of "party member slots"?
Yes. Or, rather, the total number of NPCs you can get going through a particular path of the game is 10. But there are more than 10 total potential NPCs in the game. You will never reach a situation where you are forced to chose what NPC to get rid of because you've run out of party slots.
CGW says you'll have 10 npcs to choose from, but it also says that you will get different ones depending if yoru light, dark, male, female....so does that mean there are more than 10 npcs that will join you, in total?
Yes
Sounds good. One extremely annoying thing about Kotor was having to deal with the same annoying NPCs regardless of your path

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I hope you can actually kill your NPC's. Cause I was looking for ways to kill that bitch Mission ever since she joined my party. Thank God for Zaalbar.

Also I hope in KotOR2 they'll add a less half-assed way of managing party inventory. Cause it was infuriating to have to enter and exit the Ebon Hawk five times when I realized that hte NPC's still wore the items I gave them.

Jed

Cipher
Mission was a breath of nicely-scented fresh air in comparison to Bastilla. Gods, how I loathed that whiny fuck.

Shevek

Arcane
I didnt mind Mission much compared to Bastilla or Carth. She was a mixed bag. I tended to stick with Juhani and HK-47 myself - they were pretty well done. I just hope NPCs that have issues, such as Carth's paranoia, are a bit more believable and their dialog is a bit more organic in the next title.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Shevek said:
Who cares if they take your lightsaber away? Can't you just make another one? What makes your old one more special than the one you can make? Odd.

That was pretty much my thought on the subject. Jedis supposedly make their own lightsabers as a skill, so there's really not point in taking one away from a Jedi.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You people are something else. Haven't you heard about magical lightsabers before?

Psilon

Erudite
Yeah, but that just takes a Corusca gem, Hindo's Dooooooom, 2500 gold--er--credits, and 500 XP. Put all the cash and ingredients into the magical anvil, spend the XP, and a new magical lightsaber appears on the anvil.

Alternately, you can talk to Cespenar/Cromwell and he'll root through your inventory, telling you what he can make based on your miscellaneous junk.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I thought Jedi's bought their lightsabers via mail order?

Anonymous

They have to get the parts and put them together themselves, which is why most lightsabers look different from each other.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
As evidenced by Episode II, lightsabers aren't exactly as valuable or special as the game wants you to believe, besides being a freaking lightsaber that can cut through virtually anything that it touches that is. Ooh, this saber can stun the opponent when I hit him! Big deal, considering that a hit should mean death or the very least grave injury.

Anonymous

Well, also around Episode 2 time, there was many Jedis, so the task of getting a lightsaber together wasnt too hard (I imagine they stockpiled parts and let people put them together at the big academy).

After episode 3, the only people who know what to use are Obi-Wan and Yoda, and Luke is taught in Episode 5.

Rosh

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
That was pretty much my thought on the subject. Jedis supposedly make their own lightsabers as a skill, so there's really not point in taking one away from a Jedi.

You know it would be an utterly shit plot device if it wasn't for the fact that the lightsaber you have taken away from you is a +4 and the best you can make is a +1.

Wait...no, it's still a shitty plot device, mainly because it's a moot point to take the lightsaber in the setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom