Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout: New Vegas Interviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

We'll start with Feargus <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/04/obsidian-ceo-describes-fallout-new-vegas-as-almost-original/">talking to Joystiq.</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What was the deciding factor for you and the rest of the Obsidian staff in electing to create Fallout: New Vegas versus an original IP for your next game?</b>
<br>
<br>
This is different than going off and making the Iron Man 2 game. I mean this isn't a movie game. It's taking a license that, first off, we already love -- and a lot of us actually were involved in making the original Fallout games. So this is sort of just something fun to do.
<br>
<br>
I mean literally, when I was at Interplay, a lot of the reasons why I didn't leave when I probably should have left before was so I could get to make another Fallout. And so I kind of look at New Vegas as a different kind of license.
<br>
<br>
Now, from kind of more of a business perspective ... I know it's a big surprise to everybody that the economy hasn't been what it has been. And in some ways, as a developer, it's easier to get licensed products signed up, just because it's sort of like -- usually, when a publisher is coming to you to talk to you about a game, you know, if they are saying, "Hey, we got this license we want you to use" -- you're already like 10 steps into the process. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
And then we'll continue with Josh Sawyer <a href="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/05/04/fallout-new-vegas-designer-on-post-post-apocalyptic-society/">talking to esteemed RPG site MTV.</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"One of the things we're focusing on with 'New Vegas,' is that this is a post-post-apocalyptic society. Governments have formed and have congress. There are large slaver armies and big merchant caravans."
<br>
<br>
The differences between the two worlds aren't just a matter of increased infrastructure, though. Sawyer described the world as "much more political." "'Fallout 3' presented the Enclave as very very bad, and the Brotherhood of Steel as very good in opposition to the Enclave," he explained. "In 'New Vegas' we're presenting the landscape a bit differently. You might think the [New California Republic] is purely good, but they're not purely good. And you may think Caesar's Legion is purely bad, but they're not purely bad." </blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14910">RPGWatch</A>

StrangeCase

Educated
"One major theme in the game is that we talk about rebuilding in the image of the old world, and whether that's valid or not. For example, the New California Republic sees themselves as the torchbearers of the republic that existed in the pre-war world. They are the voice of democracy. People have representation with them. They don't enslave people. They have laws and stuff like that.

"Whereas Caesar's Legion -- which is inspired by Rome and is led by an incredibly charismatic, cunning and intelligent guy -- is specifically emulating things from the Roman empire because their leader believes that that is the only way to bring order into such a chaotic world."

Sawyer mentions the big question they want players asking themselves is, "Are we really recreating the old world or is this our own world to make?" If "our own world" includes plenty of rocket launcher caches, count me in.

Poor guy. He tries to sell the game's politics and complexity, and gets hit with a big sticky wad of HERP DERP in return.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
target audience, dude. target audience. my favorite so far:

MCA: There are many secrets in the world of New Vegas...

Avault #1: I can't wait to help people in that game and then as they run away just shoot them in the back just over and over again. (laughing) Pwned.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
VentilatorOfDoom said:
original IP
I stopped reading here. Seriously, why the fuck are gaming magazines using these soulless corporate terms? It sounds like there aren't any gamers any more.

KalosKagathos

Learned
"One of the things we're focusing on with 'New Vegas,' is that this is a post-post-apocalyptic society. Governments have formed and have congress. There are large slaver armies and big merchant caravans."
Epic win. This is precisely the direction I wanted the franchise to take. NCR/Vault City/New Reno struggle was the best part of Fallout 2.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Every news post concerning this game solidifies my opinion that it will be typical Obsidian: amazing potential and lofty goals diluted down to a mediocre final output saved from being absolute shit by what few elements of its possibility halfway finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom