Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas Epic Info Bundle

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

Brother None, in his valiant quest to contribute to his favorite site - the Codex - pointed us to a metric fuckton of freshly surfaced Info regarding the best Elder Scrolls Mod ever: Fallout: New Vegas. Read all this stuff <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">over there</a>, if you're feeling so inclined.
<br>
I will, however, take the opportunity to recapitulate a bit.
<br>
<br>
1) <a href="http://www.giantbomb.com/josh-sawyer-on-fallout-new-vegas/17-2425/">View J.E. Sawyer talking F:NV.</a>
<br>
<br>
2) Wanna hear facts? <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97745-fallout-new-vegas-fact-sheet.html">Here are some facts.</a>
<br>
<br>
3) Pete Hines, famous for his charming smile, <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/04/interview-bethesdas-pete-hines/">can talk F:NV too.</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>People have criticized Fallout 3 for kind of failing as an FPS and Todd Howard said, "Oh, I can agree with that." Do you think the Obsidian guys have addressed some of those failings?</b>
<br>
<br>
To an extent, although I don't think that they set out as an objective to, "We're going to fix this game and make it a better FPS." I think they just set out to say, based on conversations they had with a lot of the guys on the team here at Bethesda Game Studios. They can read reactions from fans and the press just as easily as anybody else. So I think they looked for places where they could improve the game – adding new options to melee weapons and VATS doesn't make it a better FPS, but it does make it a better and more fun game. So, you know, which features make it a better FPS and which ones make it a better game? I'm not sure, but I think all of them end up making it a better game and ultimately, I think at the end of the day, that's what most folks care about. There are certainly some things, if you played the game in real-time, first-person only that'll make your game more fun and more dramatic and so forth, but I think at the end of the day all of it just makes it a better game and that's the ultimate goal.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
4) The man who never played Arcanum himself - MCA - <a href="http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/04/interview-obsidians-chris-avellone-on-fallout-new-vegas/">answers a few questions too:</a>
<br>
<blockquote><b>How did the idea of Obsidian doing a Fallout spin-off come about?</b>
<br>
<br>
Avellone: Bethesda basically approached us and said, “Hey, do you wanna do another game in the Fallout universe? We have the western United States to deal with. Choose a location there, give us a pitch, tell us what you think would be exciting and then we’ll just see if we like it.”
<br>
<br>
And we were like, “OK. Well, here’s our pitch and here’s what we’re excited about it. “what do you guys think?”. And they were like, “OK,” and then we just started. [laughs] It was pretty cool, I was like, OK, that’s awesome.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
5) There seem to be a lot of Previews. Let the Preview Extravaganza ensue:
<br>
<br>
- <a href="http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/fallout_new_vegas/preview-2323.html">Videogamer</a>
<br>
- <a href="http://pc-mmo.nowgamer.com/previews/pc-mmo/987/fallout-new-vegas">NowGamer</a>
<br>
- <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/fallout-new-vegas/preview/first-look-at-fallout-new-vegas/a-201005031184829017/g-2009050816317271026">GamesRadar</a>
<br>
- <a href="http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/05/04/preview-fallout-new-vegas/">The Sixth Axis</a>
<br>
- <a href="http://www.gamedaily.com/games/fallout-new-vegas/playstation-3/game-previews/preview/8592/20781/">Game Daily</a>
<br>
- <a href="http://games.on.net/article/8841/Bethesdays_Preview_Fallout_New_Vegas">Games On Net</a>
<br>
<br>
Glad to be of service.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">NMA</A>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I love the Codex so much I want to take it back behind the dumpster in the alley and impregnate it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I know
codex_heart.png

Chefe

Erudite
Folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks, folks

petehinesheadheywc4.png

We didn't assume you played Arena or Daggerfall if you went to play Oblivion.

I always thought, in the back of my mind, that Morrowind just never happened according to Bethesda. Oblivion really is just Arena+, with all the brokenness and daedric armor bandits from Daggerfall. The lore was heavily scaled back, and the world was made more generic fantasy. This statement reinforces that belief.

Repressed Homosexual
What the hell? Something doesn't make sense. They say development began after the last Fallout 3 DLC, which was somewhere last Summer, and yet the game was announced in April 2009.

Now the game is set to be released in October of this year? Just how much development time will this have gotten, if it's supposed to be a huge open world the size of Fallout 3 with countless sidequests, NPCs and items to pick up? Granted I have no doubt that Bethesda is helping them polishing the game but there's something amiss here.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a glorified Fallout 3 mod, which means probably half or more of the art assets will already be created and the bulk of the engine coding is already done. It really doesn't take that long to make a game like this, and they'll have had at least a year and a half to work on it.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Xor said:
It's a glorified Fallout 3 mod, which means probably half or more of the art assets will already be created and the bulk of the engine coding is already done. It really doesn't take that long to make a game like this, and they'll have had at least a year and a half to work on it.

if it were an actual fo3 mod, as opposed to a "glorified" one

-codex would love it
-the modders would start a shitload of drama over nothing
-it would never be released

Shannow

Waster of Time
Humanity has risen! said:
What the hell? Something doesn't make sense. They say development began after the last Fallout 3 DLC, which was somewhere last Summer, and yet the game was announced in April 2009.
It took a few months for the black guys to finish giving Pete Hines and Todd Howard the promised blowjobs.
Now the game is set to be released in October of this year? Just how much development time will this have gotten, if it's supposed to be a huge open world the size of Fallout 3 with countless sidequests, NPCs and items to pick up? Granted I have no doubt that Bethesda is helping them polishing the game but there's something amiss here.
See KotOR2. The black guys are really fast at releasing games in alpha stage.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And we were like, “OK. Well, here’s our pitch and here’s what we’re excited about it. “what do you guys think?”. And they were like, “OK,” and then we just started. [laughs] It was pretty cool, I was like, OK, that’s awesome.

BLACK CAT IS AN ALT OF MCA

Squirly

Educated
The real question of course is "will we see a diagonal running animation this time or will my character still do the moonwalk?"

This is important, people.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
And we were like, “OK. Well, here’s our pitch and here’s what we’re excited about it. “what do you guys think?”. And they were like, “OK,” and then we just started. [laughs] It was pretty cool, I was like, OK, that’s awesome.

:lol:

The funniest - or most tragic - thing about Toddler is that he actually is really really devoted to making (in his mind) great games. You hear the guy give interviews on the Ultima series, and you can seriously tell that he utterly LOVES Ultima, especially Ultima 7. What's more - you can look at Oblivion and see how it really is a shitty attempt to make an Ultima game. It isn't a lack of gaming taste. It's a lack of ability to make that kind of game. Of COURSE he was going to ask Obsidian to have a go at it - he's probably genuinely curious to see what they can produce. It's like a bunch of Ultima 7 fans, with only a fraction of the talent of the team that made Lazarus, tryinh to make a fan-made Ultima 7 using the havoc engine (with all the success that 'fan-made fallout' entailed).

Brings a slight emo-tear to my eye:-(

Humanity has risen! said:

Agreed. Seriously agreed.

Some folk: Troika and Obsidian amongst them - simply need the business guys in suits to tell them what to do. Good creatives don't make good CEOs. There's a reason why those guys (both the Troika and Obsidian teams) thrived under Interplay's supervision and failed (commercially in Troika's case and creatively in Obsidian's) when left to make 'whatever games they wanted'.

It just seems that when left without the supervision of GOOD 'suits' (i.e. NOT Herve), creatives either make their 'wet-dream' game and go broke (or release a buggy mess), or over-react the opposite way, thinking 'oh no, we have to be really really careful b/c we don't have a boss checking the viability of our projects any more' and instead become more averse to risk than they would otherwise have been.

Grunker said:
Darth Roxor said:

:lol:

Seconded. Without the lol. No-one could throw in all those 'nyas' and 'stuffies' unless they were a diversion.

madbringer

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Xor said:

if it were an actual fo3 mod, as opposed to a "glorified" one

-codex would love it
-the modders would start a shitload of drama over nothing
-it would never be released

☺☺☺☺

madbringer

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
The funniest - or most tragic - thing about Toddler is that he actually is really really devoted to making (in his mind) great games. You hear the guy give interviews on the Ultima series, and you can seriously tell that he utterly LOVES Ultima, especially Ultima 7. What's more - you can look at Oblivion and see how it really is a shitty attempt to make an Ultima game. It isn't a lack of gaming taste. It's a lack of ability to make that kind of game. Of COURSE he was going to ask Obsidian to have a go at it - he's probably genuinely curious to see what they can produce. It's like a bunch of Ultima 7 fans, with only a fraction of the talent of the team that made Lazarus, tryinh to make a fan-made Ultima 7 using the havoc engine (with all the success that 'fan-made fallout' entailed).

Brings a slight emo-tear to my eye:-(

2aj9f9h.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Azrael the cat said:
Some folk: Troika and Obsidian amongst them - simply need the business guys in suits to tell them what to do. Good creatives don't make good CEOs. There's a reason why those guys (both the Troika and Obsidian teams) thrived under Interplay's supervision and failed (commercially in Troika's case and creatively in Obsidian's) when left to make 'whatever games they wanted'.
Also, Troika team didn't have the full Fallout team, including the lead designer. Lack of certain people could cause that some bad ideas weren't killed and some good ideas didn't appear.

denizsi

Arcane
The chain shot ability, demonstrated at 1:03 in the video, looks so fucking retarded. It's like a M-M-Multikill cheat for retards. Animations still look too stiff. Even Virtua Fighter (1994), has better animations FFS.

By the way, a Fallout game for iPhone turns out to be a hoax:

Hoax said:
No left-field announcement that the next Elder Scrolls is going to be a kid-friendly MMO on Facebook?

I think that's probably something that somebody completely made up on their own.

It sounds bizarre enough to me.

I've seen an awful lot of ridiculous rumors associated with that, so obviously I don't want to get into trying to comment on or validate other than to remark how ridiculous a rumor that is. There was another one like last week that was like, "Oh, they're doing a Fallout for the iPhone something or other." I mean it was so completely ridiculous and without any merits that it's just ... I think people now just make up stuff to see whether or not we'll dignify it with a response.

Brother None said:
I love the Codex so much I want to take it back behind the dumpster in the alley and impregnate it.

There's a perfect Giger painting to accompany this post, showing a man fucking the exposed ass of a child's corpse, her lower body hanging out from a trash bin. Alas, I couldn't find it. It's in this series of his works.

If you see it, let me know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom