Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Circle of Eight unleashes 5.8.0

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

Circle of Eight Modpacks 5.8.0 BETA and 5.8.0 NC BETA <a href="http://www.co8.org/forum/announcement.php?f=15">Released!</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The Circle of Eight is pleased to present the latest versions of our modpack for The Temple of Elemental Evil - Circle of Eight Modpacks 5.8.0 BETA and 5.8.0 NC BETA.
<br>
<br>
Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.0 BETA fixes some additional bugs since 5.7.2, such as the 'blue circle of death' bug where NPCs would run off when ordered to leave the party but would not disband, resulting in their empty blue character circles remaining in the party.
<br>
<br>
Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.0 NC BETA re-introduces custom Co8 content of the major expansion variety. Both Hickory Branch and the Moathouse Respawn have been re-mastered for the current modpack, and the as-yet unseen Welkwood Bog has been added to the mix. In order to access the expansions, simply speak to Brother Smyth in Hommlet and ask him for "something different."
<br>
<br>
Both modpacks are identical, save for the major new content expansions included in the NC version. Fans of custom content will likely want to choose the new content (5.8.0 NC BETA) release, while purists might prefer the standard (5.8.0 BETA) release.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
The Welkwood Bog seems to contain a bit more now than welk wood.
<br>
I have to <a href="http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack">try this</a> asap.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.co8.org/forum/announcement.php?f=15">Co8</A>

Andhaira

Arcane
The Circle of Eight mod has Cloud's sword. Avod it like the plague.

deuxhero

Arcane
Does it fix the inability to browse masterwork items more than once? The slowdown in the fire node?

AndhairaX said:

So did the core ToEE, just dummied out (and the new versions also dummy it out once again)

Black

Arcane
Great, haven't played it for some time, now here's the trigger.

pipka

Savant
AndhairaX said:
:lol:
Gasp! 1 sword from JRPG. OMG. I wont touch Co8 with 10 meters pole.

deuxhero said:
Does it fix the inability to browse masterwork items more than once?
No. I read somewhere that it has to do something with trader being indoors/outdoors.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
As soon as someone mentions Co8, Andhaira complains about Clouds sword. He does it on purpose. It's called Paki-humour.

Tails

Arbiter
AndhairaX said:
As far I recall they removed this sword, because it was buggy.

Tails

Arbiter
btw. this version still alters vanilla loot and other things? I don't mind restored content, but changing placement or replacing items is a bit not good.

Dark_Paladin_Anti_Hero said:
It's so fucking annoying that the shitty ass TOEE gets a huge mod group while Arcanum, a game with so much potential that already holds the status of one of the greatest RPGs of all time, gets one modder who has some serious mental issues.

Co8 sucks.

Nah, I can understand that. Arcanum might not have been as readily moddable (no idea on that). ToEE had a much much better engine. In terms of stuff that isn't part of the engine, Arcanum has far less to fix - fixing the combat might not be possible given the engine, at least without some wholesale adjustments to spells, mobs, follwers and so on.

There's plenty of restored content in terms of schematics and so on, but I just don't see much elese to be done with Arcanum other than creating new campaigns (I'm assuming that the shitty combat is an irreparable feature of the engine).

On the other hand, a brilliant engine with a crap campaign seems like perfect modding material. ToEE needs no work done to its combat or basica mechanisms - it just needs quests and campaigns. It basically invites juicy modder goddness. I'm surprised there aren't MORE dedicated modding communities for ToEE, given the potential for great games using that combat system and implementation of 3rd editition rules.

Azrael the cat said:
Nah, I can understand that. Arcanum might not have been as readily moddable (no idea on that). ToEE had a much much better engine.
ToEE runs on a heavily modified version of the Arcanum engine.

Anyway, Arcanum was shipped with official modding tools, but no tools were ever released for ToEE. There were supposedly some D&D license issues regarding the editor (WorldEd), so Atari never let Troika release any tools for ToEE. But ToEE was never supposed to be a moddable game anyway, since the modding aspect of Arcanum failed so much (no custom modules/campaigns were ever made for the game). ToEE is still nowhere as moddable as Arcanum even today.

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
AndhairaX said:

Wow, fuck you, you fucking troll. I remember that you said the EXACT same fucking thing in response to the mod the last time I saw it brought up, and someone responded with the EXACT same fucking thing -- that the sword was already in the original game. Either a desperate vie for edgy kodex kool points by Andhaira (which obviously fails every single time) or you're just a fucking shitty chefe alt.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Woa woa woa slow down. You're letting Andhaira's trolling get to you? Seriously?

On topic: glad they finally broke the lulzy extra content off the fixes. I may wait until it's no longer beta and grab the thing. A ToEE replay is long overdue.

Thrasher

Erudite
Another update on this mod?????

Amazing love CO8 gives this old game...

deuxhero

Arcane
pipka said:
deuxhero said:
Does it fix the inability to browse masterwork items more than once?
No. I read somewhere that it has to do something with trader being indoors/outdoors.

But one of the them is indoors and the other is outdoors, how can they not fix either?

Gaear

Novice
Hi all,

This is actually a bit different bug than the one inquired about by deuxhero. That one has indeed been fixed - you can browse masterwork inventories without issue now.

The refresh bug is simply a matter of merchants not getting rid of stuff you sell them, and not restocking their own inventories. It's been that way since the onset, for reasons given in the linked thread, but it's normally overcome via script. It shouldn't be much of an issue really.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
  1. All the elite hackers drifted away.
  2. There's a no-CD patch around, look it up.

While I'm at it:
Q: What's this I heard about Cloud's Sword from FF7 / Sword of Life Stealing?

A: There is a hidden item called 'Sword of Life Stealing'. It's a +2 sword that drains a level on a critical hit and gives you 1d6 temporary HP. It's only available via console (type give 4154), and it was there in the vanilla game files.

The life-stealing property is bugged - it will insta-kill any monster without actual character levels (most non-human monsters are such) on a critical hit. Monsters with regeneration ability (such as Trolls) will cause further problems, too.

The Sword's model indeed looks like Cloud's sword from Final Fantasy.

Co8 has created the Guillotine Blade, which used the same model but was otherwise a regular greatsword (without the bugged Lifestealing property). It used to be available for purchase on the beginning shopmap, and was wielded by some critters in Verbobonc. It has since been removed from the game and can only be obtained via console.

@deuxhero:
Firenode still suffers slowdowns.

@tails:
What do you mean by altering vanilla loot?

@Sceptic:
Non-beta v6 is scheduled for december.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom