Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Retrospective

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The best Western RPG made this generation <a href="http://www.thekoalition.com/four-years-later-elder-scrolls-oblivion-is-still-the-best-western-rpg-this-gen/">receives the retrospective treatment</a> by esteemed RPG site The Koalition, a site apparently not populated by <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129">haters.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">What’s completely amazing about this game is that you don’t even have to do the main quest at all. Once you escape from jail the world is yours (to quote Scarface). You can do whatever you like, and no matter what you choose to do it still feels like an adventure. If you want to get real creative you can come up with a little quest of your own, such as visiting all the towns and killing everybody in the game (which I actually tried to do once). You are only limited by your own imagination.
<br>
<br>
There are novels to read, caves to explore, houses to break into, guilds to discover and unique items/weapons to obtain. I have never played a game this open before, and that is why I have come to appreciate the game so much. If you have yet to enjoy Bethesda’s amazing fantasy adventure after four years, then I hope this article makes you at least think about picking it up.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Disclaimer: This newspost does not contain any hints at my opinion on the subject at hand.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97693-the-elder-scrolls-oblivion-retrospective.html">GB</A>

entertainer

Arbiter
i'm trying hard to contain all the rage

I remember watching my brother play this, the world’s detail
was amazing. The lighting, the water THE HD TEXTURES, the music.

Fallout 3 looks mediocre compared to Oblivion

:lol:

Rhalle

Magister
It's not an RPG. It's an action-adventure with classes and stats.

It's a great game, for what it is. :pete:

And it's the last time, ever, that so much content will ever be released in a single box.

Squirly

Educated
fapfapfapfapfap

I agree. Not only is Oblivion the best RPG in this generation, but it’s the best game ever created.

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

and its still my absolute favorite game of all time.

Hnnnnnn... *splort*

Well, that was fun.

madbringer

Arcane
25ko1es.jpg

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hey guys, you don't have to be registered there to low rate their comments... sweet. I suggest all you people hop to it.

37987972.jpg

Oh my god... that's the author?

We need someone to post a proper comment about Oblibion there.

madbringer

Arcane
Looks like the comments live up to the article's quality.

in my opinion its the closest gaming has ever come to letting you pretty much live another life in a virtual world and actually make your own decisions and deal with the consequences, be good, or bad.

:thumbsup:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So now it's not necessary anymore to know some basic grammar before writing an "article"?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
i honestly think i would like to hurt Todd Howard. like, when i think about it, it calms my rage. and hell, he'd probably like it, right? because violence is fucking funny! right?

shit. i'd like to at least put a severed horse's head in his bed while he sleeps.

ElectricOtter

in my opinion its the closest gaming has ever come to letting you pretty much live another life in a virtual world and actually make your own decisions and deal with the consequences, be good, or bad.
:lol:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Lots of lulzy stuff in there but this one stands out:
There are novels to read, caves to explore, houses to break into, guilds to discover and unique items/weapons to obtain. I have never played a game this open before
Daggerfall did every single one of these and did all of them better. So did Morrowind. M&M1 did most of them (novels to read being the notable exception) 20 years before Oblivion. If we're going to praise the game for being the first to do something, can we please make sure it was really the first and not the one hundredth?

denizsi

Arcane
You have absolutely NO idea what Oblivion means to preteen weaboo faggots.

I was checking technical threads at Unity3D forums, and decided to check the showcase forum, where people post WIP or REL stuff. There was this usual retard thread, author aspiring to make a HUUGE SP sandbox fantasy game, deluding himself that he could do it all just because he made a terrain scene and imported a mesh (the usual. There are fuck TONS of these morons).

Anyway, the gist is this: when someone asked him to describe what kind of game he'd be making, fucking weaboo said

"I'm making an oblivion game".

Somebody else asked, how does he mean?

"you know, an oblivion game, with fantasy, swords magic and stuff"

So, let me repeat that to make it sink into your jaded brains:

This is what it has come to.

I couldn't be arsed to search for the thread right now, but if you search for "oblivion game" in showcase forum over there, you'll find it quickly.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
denizsi said:
I approve. Create a new genre called "oblivion games" and call everything that follows the formula an "oblivion game". That means they're not just "RPGs" anymore and makes it easier to stay away from that shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom