Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview KOTOR II E3 demo impressions

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

There are two hands-on E3 demo impressions that are much more detailed then those very generic and boring previews you see everywhere. The first one is posted at <a href=http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~maxpayne/site/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=383&Itemid=38>Deep Six</a>, the second one, a very detailed 5-page review, comes from <a href=http://www.kotorfanfic.com/page14.html>KOTOR FanFic</a>. The reviews contain <b>spoilers</b>, so don't say you weren't warned.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Deep Six</b>: My character was a pretty powerful Jedi, and I had plenty of droid fodder to test these abilities on. At first I decided to start hack and slashing with the lightsaber. They were standard lightsabers, so they really didn't do much damage, even though I had the range between "attack", "flurry" and "critical strike". Then I cycled through the force powers. Because the first level stuck primarily with droids, I couldn't use powers that didn't work on droids. However there was this one VERY powerful force move I ended up using a lot called "Force Storm" which works on both droids and humans, which involved calling up a sudden lighting strike from the sky that not only does a hell of a lot of damage but also attacks more then just the character you target, but also characters clustered around him (that are bad). You still had your hacking stuff, throw in a few extra parts to fix droids and they will attack other chracters in a patrol mode.
<br>
<br>
<b>KOTOR FanFic</b>: You and Mira forge your way through the storm, coming across native beasties (I think they were called "dulas" or "dugas" or something, think horned kath hounds for rough shape, size, and colouring), mercenaries, and Sith Apprentices. Eventually, you make your way to what you discover is a Sith Temple. The instant you step into it, you can feel the incredible Dark Power flowing through the place, pounding against you, testing you to control your rage and fear. Carefully, you and Mira make your way through the Temple, more combat. You get to the central area, where there is an enormous door and a group of Sith you overhear trying to gain entrance. You do not, however, find out why they are so desperate to get inside before you are spotted. The Sith in charge tries to get you to join him. As a lightsider, you naturally refuse and end up killing them all. You find the mechanism to open the door and step through.</blockquote>That stuff about the Dark Side testing you sounds very cool
<br>
<br>

Anonymous

They were standard lightsabers, so they really didn't do much damage

That's a pretty goofy line...

And those had to of been some wussy Sith, jeez.

Are those the standard light sabers that should be able to slice through steel like hot butter.... ya pussy weapons I use a thermonuclear device for cutting my butter.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
I wonder why they're calling this game KOTOR 2. It's the same engine, a similar story, retextured monster with a new name. Sounds more like an expansion.

suibhne

Erudite
S4ur0n27 said:
I wonder why they're calling this game KOTOR 2. It's the same engine, a similar story, retextured monster with a new name. Sounds more like an expansion.

...but potentially much better. Hey, this one might actually feature role-playing. :D

Grifman

Liturgist
S4ur0n27 said:

I think typically expansions are less than a new game - some new missions, episodes, new items, etc. Like the Diablo II expansion added some items, a class or two, and another chapter. But this is a full fledged game - much more than the typical expansion, I think.

Grifman

Snuffles

Novice
S4ur0n27 said:
Because an expansion for a game being released on x-box wouldn't work too well?

Voss

Erudite
Sounds like a sequel to me.
Add a few things, use the existing engine, shine it up a little...
FO2
BG2
M&M series at several points
other things...

expansions tend to just tack a few new things (areas, items) onto the existing game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yup. It's a sequel. For one thing it's gonna be as long or even longer than the original. How many expansions do that? Hmm..

Rosh

Erudite
Volourn said:
Yup. It's a sequel. For oen thing it's gonna be as long or even longer tan the original.

It could mean that they just added in more antique puzzles and a shitload of even more ennui-inducing combat. :)

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
-The seem to be going for a much more subtle type of Dark Side in this one, rather than the thuggish bully type they had in KoTOR. I may actually want to play Dark Side in this game if they stick to it.

And thank fuck for that. That was one of the few major complaints I had with the first game. Darth Vader did not become a Sith by mugging widows or bullying people for money. Not sure about the seemingly random slaughter of that Mira woman like.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
How about KOTOR/Baldur's Gate/Buffy the Vampire Slayer/MacGuyver crossover slash/erotic fanfic?

It could have MacGuyver, Bastila, Spike, Minsc and Boo in a gangbang. Boo can be somewhere inside of Bastila.

Voss

Erudite
Don't give them any more ideas. Its scary enough out there as it is.

*bolts door, closes windows*

Theres some really fucked up people out there.

Jarinor

Liturgist
I know someone who thinks Stargate is real. It's hilarious listening to him talk endlessly about how he's going to kill Anubis and take his/her place as master of the universe.

Rosh

Erudite
Voss said:
Don't give them any more ideas. Its scary enough out there as it is.

*bolts door, closes windows*

Theres some really fucked up people out there.

Yeah, I just kicked around the likely generic and unimaginative Final Fantasy-named "Seifer" at NMA, the same one who helps on the forums that host the incest and other bizarre love interests in Baldur's Gate modding. Given their ignorance of reading a forum and in how they think things work (including accusing DAC of having a virus for awhile), I'm not surprised that there's some truly disturbing Arkansas interests in that crowd.

Fucked up people, indeed.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Jarinor said:
I know someone who thinks Stargate is real. It's hilarious listening to him talk endlessly about how he's going to kill Anubis and take his/her place as master of the universe.

I wonder what he thought about the Wormhole Extreme episode. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom