Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Site Updated

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/default.htm">The Witcher</a> official website has been updated with a bunch of new screenshots that look simply splendid! It looks as if the game will be played from much closer perspective than the top-down isometric view of Neverwinter Nights. The game also features a tileless environment, leaving the tiled environment of Neverwinter Nights to rot in the annals of history.
<br>
<br>
Also featured on the website are <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/Press_CD_materials.zip">E3 Press CD Materials</a> for download, and a notice that the game's fully completed website will go live on 28th of May.
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, yeah, but who gives a shit about screenshots? If we posted a news item every damn time someone coughed up a screenshot, it'd be RIDIKULOS!

Fireblade

Erudite
Hard to believe that those screenshots are actually coming from the despicable NWN engine.

Spazmo

Erudite
I don't know about that--Fallout was tile based and beautiful. Granted, they were often prefab tiles usually designed specifically to be used in a given place (like the stone faces in the Hub or the wall built from wrecked cars in Junktown), but it still worked. Tiles only get really ugly when you make them really big and make them one size fits all generic things like in NWN.

Fireblade

Erudite
Voss said:
prerendered kicks the shit out of tiles.

Perhaps I misunderstand your comment, but prerendered vs tiles is two separate issues. Pre-rendered just means it's a 2D game (only need a rendering engine when you're using 3D models/skins). NWN is actually a 3D game, so it's not prerendered, but it does have the concept of "tiles". The Witcher, on the other hand, may not use tiles, but it's still not pre-rendered--it's a 3D game using a rendering engine to create all the 2D images.

Anyhow I agree pre-rendered is the best for most purposes, although Silent Storm did some nice work to disprove that...but I don't believe The Witcher is pre-rendered.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The Witcher uses maps, basically. It isn't prerendered, but rather, precompiled! Like Unreal Tournament 2004, or Half Life. Not like Dungeon SIege, though - that game used tiles.

Voss

Erudite
Fireblade said:
Voss said:
prerendered kicks the shit out of tiles.

Perhaps I misunderstand your comment, but prerendered vs tiles is two separate issues. Pre-rendered just means it's a 2D game (only need a rendering engine when you're using 3D models/skins). NWN is actually a 3D game, so it's not prerendered, but it does have the concept of "tiles". The Witcher, on the other hand, may not use tiles, but it's still not pre-rendered--it's a 3D game using a rendering engine to create all the 2D images.

Anyhow I agree pre-rendered is the best for most purposes, although Silent Storm did some nice work to disprove that...but I don't believe The Witcher is pre-rendered.

Eh. Whichever term. Pretty is better than ugly. And SS while a fun game, still has that ugly 3-D look that NWN had. This one doesn't seem to, at least on the background.

DemonKing

Arcane
If they can produce a great-looking non-tiled and fun game out of the NWN engine my hat will be off to them.

Everytime I started to get into a game of NWN I just had to take one look at those blocky background tiles and I was "cured".

Anonymous

They should make a NWN Lego Set or better yet, Duplo blocks.

AURORA ENGINE LEGOS, the 'community' of mod makers would be all over it, making little romances for their yellow smiling men.

Oyarsa

Novice
Imperialist impecuniousness

LlamaGod said:
They should make a NWN Lego Set or better yet, Duplo blocks.

AURORA ENGINE LEGOS, the 'community' of mod makers would be all over it, making little romances for their yellow smiling men.

Now why would you go and defame LEGO that way? Try MegaBlocks.

Anonymous

Good point

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom