Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fallout 3 Retrospective

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Resolution Magazine blesses us with a retrospective on <a href="http://resolution-magazine.co.uk/content/resurrection-fallout-3/">Bethesda's take on the Fallout franchise</a>, Fallout 3.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The first is the control system. Oblivion was primarily based on melee combat, with a lot of area effect spells. You could run in, hold down the trigger button, and gleefully hack away at a troll or bludgeon a wolf to death. The thief class could sneak in and make a serious offensive using a backstab, and mages could throw fireballs at the fauna. In short, imprecision didn’t matter.
<br>
<br>
In Fallout 3, however, shooting is key. Sure, some weapons work better than others, but once VATS has run its course and I have to cower behind a rock while I wait for it to recharge, I have to trust in my FPS skills. Only, Fallout 3 isn’t an FPS. It’s an RPG, and the floaty crosshairs reflect this. None of the weapons have any real heft, and the controls slide around without weight or substance. It creates a disconnect that I can’t get over, but – more importantly – I keep bloody missing whatever I’m shooting.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Seems as if the game could use a little streamlining, because there are still some faithful Oblivion fans out there who couldn't enjoy FO3 the way it was supposed to be enjoyed.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97654-fallout-3-retrospective.html">GB</A>

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I feel as if it’s somehow my fault that I don’t enjoy Fallout 3. I feel as if I haven’t made enough effort. Everyone else seems to like it. Forum threads are heaving with praise, critics gush over its never-diminishing returns. I feel like the lone voice of dissent, the guy standing there saying, “Look! The Emperor isn’t wearing any clothes.”

Alone? Has this guy never heard of NMA and RPGCodex?

WE'RE BEHIND YOU BROTHA-

It’s difficult to summon the courage to return to a world so ruined – and so ruinous – as that of Bethesda’s. Endless foraging, punishing combat, the chores of simply existing – can you blame me? It’s all so wearying. I just don’t have the energy for it.

YES, YES!

Like I said, it’s probably my fault. I understand; I just don’t enjoy it. Perhaps I just prefer my games to be shinier

WAIT-

WHAT

fluffier excursions

NO

ones that lie glittering in my pile of games,

NOOO

winking at me, alluring

:(

Black

Arcane
I feel as if it’s somehow my fault that I don’t enjoy Fallout 3. I feel as if I haven’t made enough effort
This isn't the first time I've heard about trying to like something.
And to this day I can't express how dumb this approach is.

TheCowburner

Educated
Black said:
I feel as if it’s somehow my fault that I don’t enjoy Fallout 3. I feel as if I haven’t made enough effort
Yep. If you don't like it, don't play it.

madbringer

Arcane
Oh yes, those damn swinging crosshairs. Without them, Fallout 3 would be a completely different game - a better game, a more refined game, flawless; perfect.

Sometimes, when i'm alone, i jerk off to the vision of Fallout 3 without swinging crosshairs. And with strafejumps.

I need to go take a dump.

I'm afraid that trying to read the article would be harmful. Let's take a look at the comments, they should be good for a laugh.

Retard 1 said:
“None of the weapons have any real heft”

You obviously didn’t find the mini-nuke ;)

I’ll admit the game was very hard at the start, but that’s part of the fun. After about six hours or so things got easier for me, and a hell of a lot more fun. I’m surprised you didn’t like it after 25 hours. Nice write-up though.
Retard 2 said:
Your last point really rings true for me, and is the one reason I never saw Fallout 3 to the end. The whole thing is just so downtrodden and miserable. And I realize that’s the whole point, so it puts me in an uncomfortable position. Do I praise the game for accomplishing exactly what it set out to do in big, bold, beautiful fashion? Or do I scold the game for being so off-putting?

The original two games didn’t have that problem because of the disconnect between player and game world. That Fallout 3 was so immersive was precisely what I didn’t like about it; I was pulled in and, in turn, wanted out.
My brain gave out after that. I... I think I even lost a little intelligence.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oh, and its old-schøol classic, i remember i played it so long ago... Months ago! Can you imagine?

Black said:
Trying to like something would be dumb if people were static things. Fortunately, they have brains which are able to collect new memories, which change old experiences. In other words, IT'S POSSIBLE TO DEVELOP. IT'S WHY I NOW ENJOY BEETHOVEN AND WAGNER, AS OPPOSED TO BRITNEY SPEARS. If I hadn't forced myself to listen to classical music when I was 18, my perception would never have developed, and I would now be a guy with a manboon taste in music.

Black

Arcane
If you really "forced" yourself to listening to Beethoven I pity you.

Black said:
If you really "forced" yourself to listening to Beethoven I pity you.
I forced myself to listen through a lot of boring parts, even whole works where nothing aroused my interest, by many composers. I don't pity myself for having climbed closer to genius than 99.999% of mankind, even though it wasn't always an effortless experience, the ascent.

I simply didn't have the memories that would've allowed me to make sense of the music back then, immediately, without any effort on my part. There were many, many notes and details I just didn't hear, couldn't perceive. The emptiness I tried to listen to was indeed boring, but it was my own emptiness.

Admittedly, my experience with classical music is an extreme example. Learning to enjoy something like Two Worlds was a much more trivial task for me.

P.S. Games, even the best of them, usually contain boring things mixed with the enjoyable things, so if you play games, especially RPGs with boring travel, you shouldn't pity anyone who spends his time in a more gainful fashion.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
madbringer said:
MetalCraze said:
I have to trust in my FPS skills. Only, Fallout 3 isnt an FPS. Its an RPG, and the floaty crosshairs reflect this

Hahaha

Do you doubt his logic? CS is an RPG as well, i mean, you have an inventory there.
and u play a role of t or ct. There is also char creation - u select a skin

madbringer

Arcane
Konjad said:
madbringer said:
MetalCraze said:
I have to trust in my FPS skills. Only, Fallout 3 isnt an FPS. Its an RPG, and the floaty crosshairs reflect this

Hahaha

Do you doubt his logic? CS is an RPG as well, i mean, you have an inventory there.
and u play a role of t or ct. There is also char creation - u select a skin

Yeah man, exactly.

And if you kill hostages, you lose money and/or the round. You can also either plant the bomb or kill the whole other team. Choice and consequence!

MetalCraze

Arcane
CS also has floating crosshairs btw which heavily depend on weapon stats and there was a mod that was adding spells to CS.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Mighty Mouse said:
*Gasp*
People who don't like Fallout 3 are so much superior than those who do!

why is this shocking to you? you've had over a year to realize this.

oh yeah. the inferior thing. runs in the genes?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Certain things are acquired tastes. I can't say that I thought a nice red wine or whisky (spell check wants me to write whiskey :evil: ) was all that good first time I tried it. Same thing with some food.

Fallout 3 works the opposite way for me though, I think less of it the more I play it

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Azael said:
Certain things are acquired tastes. I can't say that I thought a nice red wine or whisky (spell check wants me to write whiskey :evil: ) was all that good first time I tried it. Same thing with some food.

Fallout 3 works the opposite way for me though, I think less of it the more I play it

whiskey is actually correct. :wink:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
TwinkieGorilla said:
Azael said:

whiskey is actually correct. :wink:

No

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
shihonage said:
I feel as if it’s somehow my fault that I don’t enjoy Fallout 3. I feel as if I haven’t made enough effort. Everyone else seems to like it. Forum threads are heaving with praise, critics gush over its never-diminishing returns. I feel like the lone voice of dissent, the guy standing there saying, “Look! The Emperor isn’t wearing any clothes.”

Alone? Has this guy never heard of NMA and RPGCodex?

WE'RE BEHIND YOU BROTHA-

It’s difficult to summon the courage to return to a world so ruined – and so ruinous – as that of Bethesda’s. Endless foraging, punishing combat, the chores of simply existing – can you blame me? It’s all so wearying. I just don’t have the energy for it.

YES, YES!

Like I said, it’s probably my fault. I understand; I just don’t enjoy it. Perhaps I just prefer my games to be shinier

WAIT-

WHAT

fluffier excursions

NO

ones that lie glittering in my pile of games,

NOOO

winking at me, alluring

:(
You forgot:

I fondly scratch Dragon Age: Origins under the chin – a game positively merry by comparison
Hurr

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I have a feeling the author quaffed a potion of Master Faggotry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom