Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2: Better Living through Genocide

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

The Escapist comes bearing a short-ish CD Projekt Red <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/7457-The-Needles-The-Witcher-2-Interview" target="blank">interview</a> on <b>The Witcher 2</b>.
<br>
<blockquote>"Not only does combat offer more variety right now, it's also more connected with the world of The Witcher and with character development," Gop said. "If you know how to kill one monster, you're okay. But if you want to get really good, you will need to make use of Geralt's expert monster knowledge to, for example, find out more about the ecosystem, nests, hierarchy of the creatures living around some area. Then you could use this knowledge (together with some handy tools, alchemy etc.), to exterminate more than just a single monster, using more sophisticated methods. It would, of course, reward you with better loot, more respect from the communities and such."</blockquote>
<br>
<br>

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The new game is being written by the same team that handled the original and will probably be a bit shorter, which shouldn't be too much of a problem, since The Witcher clocked in at an estimated 80 hours.

80 hours? Barely half of that is a more reasonable estimate. I have it on Steam and only have 90 hours for two playthroughs and a couple of the fan made campaigns. And I'd say Alchemy doesn't need to be streamlined so much as it needs to be less overpowered than it was in the original.

MasPingon

Arcane
I mean, there are people who play RPGs and don't really care about combat because the story is what keeps them in. We implemented a dual approach to combat in The Witcher 2 - if you're not into it, just chose the easy difficulty level and there you go. For others, there will be so much underneath."

Lol, at first he sounds like it will be chance to avoid combat. Nice duel aproach CDP! You are so hardcore

DraQ

Arcane
MasPingon said:
I mean, there are people who play RPGs and don't really care about combat because the story is what keeps them in. We implemented a dual approach to combat in The Witcher 2 - if you're not into it, just chose the easy difficulty level and there you go. For others, there will be so much underneath."

Lol, at first he sounds like it will be chance to avoid combat.

In a game featuring slayer for hire as protagonist and a crapsack world as its setting?

I'd be happier if they ditched the fucking retarded QTEs, though.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Inb4 there's one quest where you have to kill some monsters and you end up fetching stuff to NPCs and they tell you about ecosystem, nests, hierarchy of the creatures, and then you proceed to click them to death.

Also, do you kill the queen or let her escape when she telepathically links to you? Possible sex card.

Phelot

Arcane
The process of brewing potions, an essential part of any high-level monster hunting, is also being simplified for those who just want to get on with the action, while players who like to experiment will still be able to do so. "We've made alchemy be a mini-game. You can manually influence the process of brewing a potion in order to get something unique," he explained. "But then, again, you don't have to - the default alchemy is much simpler than in The Witcher."

As if the original was too complicated, though it was pretty useless since you normally would only have to brew a few types of potions, the rest were useless as far as I saw.

Of course it's got to be a mini-game. Anything for another gimmick.

Know what else there'll be more of in The Witcher 2? Women. Unlike certain other highly-trained, magically-enhanced, monster hunting RPG characters, Geralt has no trouble with the ladies and he likes to get around. Gop said the Rivian freak machine will keep on rolling but added that the sex won't seem quite so perfunctory this time around or, well, juvenile.

It's good to know that there will be sex since it's becoming an integral part of RPGs. I'm very pleased that every interview about every upcoming game mentions it since it's certainly a feature that should never be omitted.

Cabeca Grande

Novice
I hope the Witcher 2 combines the great flexibility and cinematicity of QTEs with the awesomeness of simulated polygon sex, and we get QTE-Sex. Push X for Geralt to bone harder! X! Press it! X! Press it again! X! Harder! Faster! X! X! X! YES! GERALT! PRESS THAT BUTTON AGAIN! UP! UP! DOWN! DOWN! LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT! RIGHT! B! A! OH GOD GERALT I'M CUMMING! *Bing!* *You have received a Sex Card!* *Achievement Unlocked: Digital Machismo*

All these extra combat ecosystem hierarchy modifiers will just end up with you getting extra quick time maneuvers in combat. You start out with only the X button, then you gain some "knowledge", and you can use the Y button. Repeat ad nauseam.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Cabeca Grande said:
I hope the Witcher 2 combines the great flexibility and cinematicity of QTEs with the awesomeness of simulated polygon sex, and we get QTE-Sex. Push X for Geralt to bone harder! X! Press it! X! Press it again! X! Harder! Faster! X! X! X! YES! GERALT! PRESS THAT BUTTON AGAIN! UP! UP! DOWN! DOWN! LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT! RIGHT! B! A! OH GOD GERALT I'M CUMMING! *Bing!* *You have received a Sex Card!* *Achievement Unlocked: Digital Machismo*

All these extra combat ecosystem hierarchy modifiers will just end up with you getting extra quick time maneuvers in combat. You start out with only the X button, then you gain some "knowledge", and you can use the Y button. Repeat ad nauseam.

Hi Chefe!

Lothers

Scholar
Me neither. The more I read about TW2, the more it's starting to look like shit.

DraQ

Arcane
phelot said:
The process of brewing potions, an essential part of any high-level monster hunting, is also being simplified for those who just want to get on with the action, while players who like to experiment will still be able to do so. "We've made alchemy be a mini-game. You can manually influence the process of brewing a potion in order to get something unique," he explained. "But then, again, you don't have to - the default alchemy is much simpler than in The Witcher."
:rage:

Cabeca Grande said:
flexibility of QTEs .
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom