Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas Details

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

DAC put together <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23942">a list of details</a> concerning F:NV reveiled in the latest Xbox 360 World magazine.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23942">DAC</A>

Suchy

Arcane
* The tagline says: "A Safe Bet for RPG Fans"
* Hardcore mode: Stimpaks take a long time to heal, you need a Doctor's Bag to heal broken limbs, and you suffer from Dehydration so you need to carry water.
* Dynamite is one of the first weapons you come across
* Obsidian have focused much more on the story than Bethesda did with Fallout 3
* VATS now includes a special attack for every weapon
* Weapons can be modded - one of the mods involves reducing the spooling time for miniguns.
* All of your skills can be used to influence dialogue
* A "Command/Companion Wheel" gives you control over your followers - the design of this isn't finalized yet
* Nightkin are back and can cloak
* The Hoover Dam is intact and produces electricity
* Electricity seems to be one of the main things in the game
* There are 3 factions - the NCR, Caesar's Legion, and (although unconfirmed) the Brotherhood of Steel
* The Helios One solar tower controls an orbital laser platform
* You can get a portable controller for the laser platform and use it throughout the game
* Lots of "grey areas" in terms of actions and dialogue - a combined reputation and morality system means everything you do has an effect on something in one way or another.
* New Vegas will have different endings, "instead of the single, potentially anachronistic 'man/woman saves the Wasteland' finale."
* The overall theme of the game is about trying to find out who tried to kill you and why.
* New weapon - The "All-American" - a rapid fire Sniper Rifle
this actually doesn't sound bad...apart from that tranny mutant thing

Silellak

Cipher
The overall theme of the game is about trying to find out who tried to kill you and why.
You know, if the game actually sticks to this basic, personal plot, and it doesn't somehow devolve into a Save-The-World-Yet-Again Plot, that would be pretty sweet.

At least Obsidian has experience telling that sort of story, so it's possible.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Silellak said:
You know, if the game actually sticks to this basic, personal plot, and it doesn't somehow devolve into a Save-The-World-Yet-Again Plot, that would be pretty sweet.
It obviously will devolve/evolve into a Which-Faction-Will-Rule-Vegas plot.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The laser weapon is a complete rip-off of the Hammer of Dawn from Gears of War. Obsidian lacking so much creativity for weapon design they have to rip off Gears of Popamole...Wow, talk about decline. :?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fat Dragon said:
The laser weapon is a complete rip-off of the Hammer of Dawn from Gears of War. Obsidian lacking so much creativity for weapon design they have to rip off Gears of Popamole...Wow, talk about decline. :?

Which was a rip-off of the GDI Ion Cannon from Command and Conquer in the first place :smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, they had to beat the portable nuke somehow.

I wonder what they'll think of next to top this off.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Clockwork Knight said:
Portable black holes.

I'm 100% serious.

Didn't Bio already beat them to the punch to that in Mass Effect 2?

Also, I don't find an orbital direct energy weapon (in a setting with carried versions) anywhere near as ludicrous as a nuke-launcher (or mushroom clouds from exploding cars).

Still, Fallout 3 was pretty horrible and I doubt this expansion pack can change the nature of that game.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Like the Hard Core Mod setting. That way I can make it playable without waiting a year for a mod to do that.

Im currently playing F3 with a whole bunch of mods installed that make the game harder....and its actually pretty fun now

Saxon1974 said:
Im currently playing F3 with a whole bunch of mods installed that make the game harder....and its actually pretty fun now

After a strage obese men stumbles into you on the crowded sidewalk, you notice your wallet is lighter. You discover you lost 135 kodex kool kredits. As you turn your head, the man is nowhere to be seen.

Black

Arcane
I installed Jagged Alliance 2 again, renamed it to Fallout 3 and it's p good :D

No but really, I like Obsidian's "personal" plot thingies, but somehow "personal, story focused" and "Fallout" don't add up for me.

lordfrikk

Scholar
Nightkin back - great!
More story (story finally, actually) - even better
Skill-influenced dialogues - carry on
Brotherhood of Steel - better be there or get ready for a major shitstorm
Overall-theme - hopefully we won't be lookin for any more middle-aged guys

Overall good, but for crying out loud fuck the portable nuke and fuck portable lazerz platform things!

Saxon1974

Prophet
Clockwork Knight said:
Saxon1974 said:

After a strage obese men stumbles into you on the crowded sidewalk, you notice your wallet is lighter. You discover you lost 135 kodex kool kredits. As you turn your head, the man is nowhere to be seen.

Im not sure I had any kodex kool kreds anway

Saxon1974

Prophet
Black said:
I installed Jagged Alliance 2 again, renamed it to Fallout 3 and it's p good :D

No but really, I like Obsidian's "personal" plot thingies, but somehow "personal, story focused" and "Fallout" don't add up for me.

Im a bit worried about that too, one of my favorite things is exploration so im hoping to keep the exploration aspect of F3 in a smaller more focused world but with more fleshed out NPCs\factions and quests...

I guess I would rather this game be made then not. Would most Kodexers just rather this game not be made?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
HOW ABOUT THE POPAMOLE FAGS GO FUCK A DOG WITH THERE NEXTGEN DARKGRITTY MATURE BULLSHIT ONLY FAGS LIKE NEW GAMES

roll-a-die

Magister
Hey blobert you don't seem to be packing the feeling into each post you used to, how about trying a new medium. Like haiku or philosoraptorism. Or hell just go back to the style post you first did. It's getting trite just seeing you go through the motions. And I just want you to know I'm here for you, bro.

Cassidy

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Portable black holes.

I'm 100% serious.

There is a mod called Unreal4Ever for Unreal 1 that has one.

Also, after seeing the gameplay and waste of time that hiking through copypasta voids null of anything interesting or memorable delivers when I did not remove Fallblivion from an inventory, I'm doubtful that anything could fix the deplorable game it is, a mediocre shooter and hiking LARP will still remain that way, even if Obsidian does a miracle plot-wise and cheats Bethesda on their promise to cater to their audience first and foremost. This is like hoping that the ghost of Mozart could do an awesome and memorable piano adaptation album out of Lady Gaga and Britney Spears musics, except Obsidian is no wondermaker.

Seriously, the level of blind fanboyism for Obsidian I've seen around recently sometimes is staggering. Neverwinter Nights 2 may suck, but it was still, in core design and basic principles, supposed to emulate an existing ruleset for PnP, and all it took to build a good story out of it was to go beyond the cookie cutter Sword Coast in that fiction and to take advantage of the mindset a DM has fully, without fear of what Marketing hacks claim about "mass market appeal", but Oblivion with Guns as a potential source for a good expansion pack? It lacks a story in PnP roots, it lacks a story in good CRPGs and it lacks a proper engine and history of previous games to deliver a game that isn't ultimately boring.

It is of course more pleasant to believe in things against what preemptive evidences like interviews, screenshots and PR statments suggest, show or heavily confirm, but it is still better to take the safe approach and not expect surprises that would go against the tidings giving by the sucking sounds of the hype machine and by the expected interests of its actual target audience while Jewnimax PR bloodhounds keep their eyes on Obsidian: the same target audience of Fallout 3.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LOLOLOL I HEAR YOU BUT IT IS LIKE IF YOU PUT A MILLION TYPWERITERS WITH A MONKEY EVENTUALLY YOUJ WILL GET SOMETHING GOOD I KEEP TRYINHG ALSO BRO IT MIGHT BE LIIKE AN OCD THING CAUSE EVERYONE ELSE POSTS THE SAME AWESIOME STUFF ABOUT HOW MUCH THE GAMES SUCK I JUST HAVE TO JOIN IN

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OH I HEAR YOU TOO OTHER BRO FAGGOT FANBOYS FUCKING SPMA THIS SIGHT IF ONLY THERE WAS MORE POEOPLE TO TELL US HOW MUCH THESE GAMES SUCK WE WOUJLD BE BETTER OFF

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom