Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fallout: New Vegas – A Wishlist

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

Koku Gamer <a href="http://kokugamer.com/2010/04/12/fallout-new-vegas-a-wishlist/">compiles a wishlist</a> of what they want to see in F:NV.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>Returning Characters from Past Games.</b>
<br>
<br>
It’s always a treat for the fans when they get the chance to see a familiar face. It’s an even bigger treat in Fallout when it’s both a familiar face, and one who isn’t looking to take your head off and devour it. Due to the locale shifting coasts again for New Vegas, one would hope to see a classic character like Sheriff Marcus (voiced in Fallout 2 by Micheal Dorn), or even Goris. Though most players are probably expecting the return of the big bad known as the Enclave, and the New California Republic, one would hope that it wouldn’t simply be old organizations returning, but also some folks with a gun that’s aimed at someone else’s head aside from your own. The unfortunate thing is that series mainstay Harold more than likely won’t be in this next installment, due to him being very much rooted in the Capitol Wasteland, so to speak.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Is there a chance at returning characters? Perhaps, but what about...
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>A Bug-Free experience</b>
<br>
<br>
Now, I know for a fact that Fallout 3 was by no means the most bug ridden game on the market. One could argue that Modern Warfare 2 or Gears of War 2 may take the cake on that currently, but in a game series like this one, where the player will be investing hours upon hours of time into playing, the console locking up in a random session of using VATS can be maddening. Not to mention that if one looks up a list of this game’s bugs and glitches, the page count may rival one of H.P. Lovecraft’s longer stories. Truthfully, Obsidian could outright ignore any of these little suggestions, but if they ignore this one, gamers may want to open a savings account for the point when consoles, keyboards, mice, controllers, or even televisions and monitors are shattered because the game locked up in the midst of fighting off Super Mutants.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Bug-Free experience? <s>r00flecopter! Sorry but we're talking about Obsidian here guys,...</s> Obsidian will deliver the same bug-free experience as always - of that I am certain.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97515-fallout-new-vegas-wishlist.html">GB</A>

Wyrmlord

Arcane
"but if they ignore this one, gamers may want to open a savings account for the point when consoles, keyboards, mice, controllers, or even televisions and monitors are shattered because the game locked up in the midst of fighting off Super Mutants."

Bugs?

In my videogame?

Worse than Starcraft scandals!

roll-a-die

Magister
First to the Co-Op Fallout is and should always remain a single player game. It should be about isolation and YOUR interaction with the people around you. YOUR decisions and the effects they make on the game world and the effects it further has upon you. The moment you add a second player that isolation and the choices YOU make become meaningless. Because then you would have more grounding in meatspace than in gamespace. This screws with the dynamic of a game like fallout. Where the story is generally about YOU. Suddenly you have to argue with a friend about who is the main character and who is the companion.

Goris and Marcus would be fine I guess they are technically immortal(not sure about Goris though). Marcus would probably still be in New Arroyo living it up, Goris as well, most likely.

And as to The Enclave I would have to say no FUCKING WAY. It's been used in far to many games now. It was supposed to be a one off villain in the second one for fucks sake. Fallout should focus on UNIQUE story not drudging up memories of the last few. I'm still a little pissed the NCR is in it or the the brotherhood is as well as NCR was supposed to be replacing them.

Agree on the dialogue system. But celebs are not fucking needed.

DLC needs to fucking go stick it in an X-pack or something for Christ's sake. Hmm pay 10 dollars for a 2 hour quest. Hmm pay 20 dollars for 15 hours of quests.

One of the joys of older games is the active community of modders whom take it upon themselves to monotonously fix every bug they find. This generally keeps games active for far longer than any should warrant*CoughPSTCOUGH* ACK sorry something in my throat.

Black

Arcane
Obviously it should have BoS, vaults, Enclave and super mutants!

Angthoron

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
First to the Co-Op Fallout is and should always remain a single player game. It should be about isolation and YOUR interaction with the people around you. YOUR decisions and the effects they make on the game world and the effects it further has upon you. The moment you add a second player that isolation and the choices YOU make become meaningless. Because then you would have more grounding in meatspace than in gamespace. This screws with the dynamic of a game like fallout. Where the story is generally about YOU. Suddenly you have to argue with a friend about who is the main character and who is the companion.

Absolutely, unless the game is primarily designed to be a co-op game. As in, quests, dialogues, encounters, everything would be designed for two people playing. There is some appeal in this, but it's unfeasible with the current market since it won't rake in phat cash. Maybe in a decade though it might even be possible. Quality will be questionable though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh yeah, baby, moving camera during dialogue, PC voice and characters from previous games shoehorned in. This is what Fallout should be.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I wouldn't mind some cool weapons that make sense like handheld grenade machinegun and of course funny Fallout humour like mutants carrying blonde wings and pink heart glasses. That would be very different from what Bethesda did to Fallout 3, too bad Obsidian won't include these wishes into the game

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:
I wouldn't mind some cool weapons that make sense like handheld grenade machinegun and of course funny Fallout humour like mutants carrying blonde wings and pink heart glasses. That would be very different from what Bethesda did to Fallout 3, too bad Obsidian won't include these wishes into the game

you are in hardcore mode as you post.

hoochimama

Liturgist
FeelTheRads said:
Can someone tell me what's up with that? Is it really from New Vegas? Why?

Part of some quest where a super mutant lost its marbles and turned into a PMSing tranny.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, thanks, I wasn't around when this surfaced. But then I was like zomg this must be a joke from one of those naughty codex fellas.

But at least now I know New Vegas will be true to its direct predecessor, like all Obisidian games.

Let me guess, to calm her down you have to bring her a bucket of icecream? That would be HILARIOUS!!!

Mister Arkham

Scholar
These people do know that the game is slated for this fall, right? That when you make ignorant fanboy wish lists you're supposed to publish them in a window of time where it is even at all possible for the devs to see them and marvel at your self-described insightful genius? Two years into the development cycle is a little fucking late, guys.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Two years? More like 6 months out of 12. Fanboys will blame Bethesda for not giving Obsidian enough time to remove all the rape and retardation they (Obsidian) filled Fallout 3: New Vegas with. Wait and see.

but in a game series like this one, where the player will be investing hours upon hours of time into playing, the console locking up in a random session of using VATS can be maddening

Would be less maddening if people remembered to save sometimes, so you'd only have to replay the last 3 minutes

I can't take anymore "OMG HOURS OF PROGRESS DOWN THE DRAIN" retardness, especially nowadays with autosave every two steps. Also, you'd think people would learn after the first time this happens to them.

OuterSpace

Scholar
Saving is for pussies. When I die in a game I format my hard drive.

More seriously, manual saving is an outdated game mechanic. This would a make a good thread.

FeelTheRads said:
Let me guess, to calm her down you have to bring her a bucket of icecream? That would be HILARIOUS!!!

Nah dude. What actually happens is she(he?) sends you to the store to pick her(him?) up some tampons, and craziness ensues. A+ writing.

entertainer

Arbiter
OuterSpace said:
More seriously, manual saving is an outdated game mechanic.

Yeah dude you have to press a key to save a game which is so frustrating and brakes the immersion there surely must be a better way

fuck you

Luzur

Good Sir
im holding back my opinion til i can torrent it.

but i am not expecting much, sicne they reuse the same damn Failout 3 engine.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Failout 3 engine, which is Gamebryo, and which is very flexible btw (see Civ4, Guild 2) is not the problem.

If Obsidian wanted to make a good game they wouldn't be making an addon to Failout 3 in one year, making their own game with original gameplay and setting instead.

StrangeCase

Educated
Well, if you want to be snarky about it, the little descriptor thing below my screen name says "Barely Literate", so... yes? :D

It's a fair point, though. I'd like to say you're assuming a lot about the game, but my instincts agree with you. Shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom