Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mass Effect 2 Did Away With Evil Prejudices

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

and thus sets the bar for games to come in another important aspect of RPG gaming: <a href="http://unlvrebelyell.com/2010/04/12/geek-beat-state-of-the-art-graphics-old-fashioned-prejudices/">political correctness.</a>
<br>
Except of course when it comes to gay romances, which are still severely lacking from ME2, but I think we all know that this issue can be easily fixed by appropriate DLC.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">I’ve been playing a little bit of “Mass Effect 2” lately and it suddenly hit me: This is a fairly progressive video game. After all, unlike so many other games, this one has a strong, hispanic protagonist.
<br>
<br>
OK. Let me take a step back and clarify: my character is hispanic.
<br>
<br>
If you play the role-playing-game/shooter hybrid “Mass Effect 2,” yours might be Black. He might be Asian. He might be biracial. Your version of Commander Shepard might even be a woman – that’s the beauty of any game that allows you to custom-tailor the protagonist and leaves you with an open-ended back-story.
<br>
<br>
The game only forces the last name upon you, so you aren’t confused when the entire game’s voice acting refers to you as “Commander Shepard.”
<br>
<br>
At first, the option to create a character of any race, ethnicity or gender in video games made me feel as if the medium had finally made great strides in inclusion, compared to film and television.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
I kinda understand this guy. He's hispanic after all. So Jorge, let me assure you it is not your fault that you're hispanic, you've been born with the condition.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14786">Watch</A>

innovashun

u6maleavatar3.jpg
u6maleavatar1.jpg

hakuroshi

Augur
Maybe someone offered a reward for most retarded game article and there is a competition.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
phelot said:
I hate video games.

Yeah.

Perhaps “Mass Effect 2” isn’t as progressive as I thought. It still falls prey to the same absence of diversity all those other games do – even if the developers tried, it falls short.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lumpy

Arcane
First, let’s look at the industry as a whole: A 2009 study by the University of Southern California, Indiana University, Ohio University and Virginia Polytechnic shows that only 10 percent of characters are black, 5 percent are asian or pacific islanders, 3 percent are hispanic and less than one-tenth of a percent are American Indian – and most of them aren’t even playable characters.
:| It took four universities to join forces to calculate a directly observable percentage?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
the option to create a character of any race, ethnicity or gender in video games made me feel as if the medium had finally made great strides in inclusion

as if the medium had finally made

facepalm1.jpg

You heard it here folks. Mass Effect is the first game to allow you to choose ethnicity and gender.

Big Nose George

Educated
Lumpy said:
First, let’s look at the industry as a whole: A 2009 study by the University of Southern California, Indiana University, Ohio University and Virginia Polytechnic shows that only 10 percent of characters are black, 5 percent are asian or pacific islanders, 3 percent are hispanic and less than one-tenth of a percent are American Indian – and most of them aren’t even playable characters.

I guess it has something to do with the fact that only few select gangbangers are game developers
:smug:

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I find this journalist quite prejudiced. He's exploring racial diversity and sexual orientation. But he forgot a major issue: ME2 doesn't allow you to play as a tranny! You can't even fuck one!!!!! And the journalist doesn't care about this whole community: transgenders, transsexuals, travestites, unite and protest!!!!

TNO

Augur
I'm glad Bioware stayed the hell away from this. Dealing with issues of marginalization, entitlement and ethnic narrative needs fairly mature writers. KOTOR made me facepalm with Carth's 'isn't being mean to aliens bad - I guess racism is pretty similar'. If you wanted to talk about race, I think Jacob's character might have been interesting, given he waxes from military professional into brudda pretty randomly.

*mutual hand grab and slap on the back* You're cool, Shephard, when this is done, we're gonna get lauwd and spill some drinks on da citadel.

But anyway, thinking ME2 does diversity because you've got a slider in the facegen for skin tone is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Not to mention character customization has let you do that for decades.

Achilles

Arcane
Volourn said:
What an ignorant retarded article. LMAO

It really is. Has this guy never played a proper RPG before? Almost all of them allow you to define every aspect of the character's appearance.

Ninja edit: In order to avoid "lmao" and quotes with sarcastic comments, by "proper RPG" I don't mean ME2 but real RPGs.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Derper said:
Can Shephard be a joo?

No but all of the designers, writers, directors, and the artists that made him a star in his game series are. Take note the lack of white people in the first game, and the presence of only one white (Euro-accent, big tits, go figure) woman in the second.

:roll: I tried to enjoy ME, but it just doesn't cut it. If there was a game that didn't have a single black character, everybody would cry discrimination. But if there's nothing but black characters, be them dictators or decent, hell it's a-okay. (refer to the choice between Anderson/Udina from ME1)

Worry not! For even if Commander Shep is hispanic, asian or aryan he will still speak with the same, monotone, kwasian voice!

INNOVATION!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom