Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ron Gilbert Leaves Hothead

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: DeathSpank

Former <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=191" target="blank">Codex interview victim</a> Ron Gilbert has <a href="http://grumpygamer.com/8789972" target="blank">left Hothead Games</a> at the tail end of the <b><a href="http://www.deathspank.com/" target="blank">DeathSpank</a></b> birthing process.
<br>
<blockquote>I wanted to let all the Premium Gold Level Grumpy Gamer subscribers know that I left Hothead. When I started working there two years ago, my goal was to make DeathSpank the most awesome game ever made and have it win a Nobel Prize and the early word out of Stockholm is that DeathSpank is neck-in-neck with some string theory dweeb (eleven dimensions my ass).
<br>
<br>
As DeathSpank ends the creative and production phases and start down that long and winding road of certification and testing of the XBox and PS3 and [REDACTED] versions, it's looking quite amazing and is damn funny. So, to quote my childhood hero George W. Bush: Mission Accomplished.
<br>
<br>
I will be working closely with EA and Hothead on the PR for DeathSpank as the release date of [REDACTED] draws closer.
<br>
<br>
I have also vowed to blog more and try and remember my twitter password.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Wouldn't be too surprised if his leaving has something to do with the EA/PS3/XBox connection considering he <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=191" target="blank">once said</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The main reason I went with Hothead was they were a small Indie studio that self published their games. I did not want to do the game with a huge publisher that would want to water down the game. It's a weird game. I wanted to preserve that.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://grumpygamer.com/main">Grumpy Gamer</A>

Zeus

Cipher
So let me see if I get this right. In the process of publishing their little game, this formerly indie studio alienates both the Penny Arcade guys AND Ron Gilbert?

But hey, good news is, they're on great terms with EA!

denizsi

Arcane
He must have incured epic butthurt for EA coming into the picture. Sad. Which reminds me, when will Bioware also get the shaft from EA?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He's being a smart ass -- not uncommon for his blog where he gives little information. Perhaps, though, it is due to legal/professional restraints. For those that don't know the term [REDACTED] is just his representation of his blog being edited/censored for content, i.e., he can't/won't tell us about the release date and/or any potential PC version.

I don't get it, if he leaves Hothead because EA didn't preserve his weird game, then why does he quote George FU Bush with mission accomplished?

Is it because like that one mission, his isn't accomplished at all?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What I don't understand is if Runic can turn out Torchlight in ~7 months why does it take a couple of years (and probably more, I lost track) to belt out Deathspank? Granted Deathspank actually has a plot and varying locations with a bit more voice acting but from what I've heard there isn't anymore than 15ish hours of game play and will basically be a $10 XBLA title. Say what you will about the former Blizz/Runic/Flagship guys but at least they released attempts at decent games with Torchlight, Hellgate London, the aborted Mythos, etc. in the interim. And yeah from the codex interview from a year ago he says it is meant to be a trilogy... so much for that.

As to why he left, who knows. Perhaps he got an offer from Telltale or Lucasarts or some other outfit where he'll hype another game for five years and deliver some horrible iphone application.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
attempts at decent games
Hellgate London
Does not compute.

Seriously of the 3 games you lised Torchlight is the only that was released in a playable state. 1 out of 3 isn't exactly what I'd call a respectable track record.

I'm reserving judgement on Deathspank until I get my hands on it. Ron Gilbert was one of the big names 20 years ago but we've been burned by the big names many times before. We'll see.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Better than putting out nothing which is why I qualified it with 'attempt.' As much as I loved MI 1 and 2 back in the day, Gilbert hasn't produced anything noteworthy (or arguably anything at all) since 1991 and somehow he still makes enough money in the industry to feed himself (no idea if he has a wife and kids to feed, too). It boggles my mind.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Thanks for that link -- looks like he cashed in big time with Fatty Bear (assuming he split part of that 70+ million from GT).

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Gilbert has always seemed ill at ease with the big industry side of games. Indie, for a short time, seemed to offer the potential for someone like him to still makes games; but with EA getting involved, the PC version being in limbo, and Ron leaving, this would suggest that certain corners of the indie scene aren't really as separate from the industry as they like to portray themselves.

Not terribly shocked by this.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Sort of understandable that the Hothead was eager to get in bed with EA - the lure of regular paycheck is strong. Hopefully Ron finds another indie studio.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
I don't get it, if he leaves Hothead because EA didn't preserve his weird game, then why does he quote George FU Bush with mission accomplished?

Is it because like that one mission, his isn't accomplished at all?

the Bush bit was sarcastic, obviously. mission accomplished i think means "the game is done, that's what i wanted, but now that EA's here...good-bye and fuck off."

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
GarfunkeL said:
Sort of understandable that the Hothead was eager to get in bed with EA - the lure of regular paycheck is strong. Hopefully Ron finds another indie studio.

Or starts his own. As you said, the lure of the paycheck is strong and, if you're dead-set on not succumbing to that temptation, the only sure-fire way would seem to be to go it alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom