Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fresh Sith Lords preview at GameSpot

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

As promised, <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> bring us an <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/kotor2/preview_6096537.html>updated look</a> at <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/>KOTOR2: Sith Lords</a> from our pals at <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obsidian</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>One of the most interesting things we discovered about The Sith Lords' intro is that, while the game won't actually read your save from the original KOTOR, Obsidian will use an old-school method to have the storyline in The Sith Lords reflect the way your story in KOTOR played out. Conversations with Krea and other characters in the early part of the game will let you provide the game with information on what happened in your own particular game of KOTOR, and this will ensure that your experience in The Sith Lords reflects those events.</blockquote>
<br>
That's a pretty cool feature right there. I wish Fallout 2, for instance, did that.

Anonymous

Oh, I see now. What if you didnt play the original then and dont know what all happened?

Thats what I ment, I guess.

Whipporowill

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Oh, I see now. What if you didnt play the original then and dont know what all happened?

I guess there will be rather leading questions, and you have to decide what happened with Revan in the end. Which means you can pick up the game any way you wanted the last game to end, wether or not you ended it that way - your char in Kotor2 probably has no deeper insight into what REALLY happened anyway, as he wasn't there.

Spazmo

Erudite
I just hope there's an option like...

[Plot recap NPC] Do you remember what happened to jedi hero Bastila?
[PC] Yeah, didn't she get her vocal cords torn out in a tragic construction accident?
[Plot recap NPC] That's right. We all miss her constant whining and badgering about the dark side and stuff.

EEVIAC

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
What if you didnt play the original then and dont know what all happened?

My guess is you post at a forum saying "I can't work out what to do, what's the best way to start KOTOR 2?" Rather than exploring the options and playing the game, as has become the modern fashion.

merry andrew

Erudite
EEVIAC said:
My guess is you post at a forum saying "I can't work out what to do, what's the best way to start KOTOR 2?" Rather than exploring the options and playing the game, as has become the modern fashion.

:lol:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
That is a pretty cool feature actually. A lot better than reading save games too because as has been said, you can say whatever you damn well like just to see what happens.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spazmo said:
I just hope there's an option like...

[Plot recap NPC] Do you remember what happened to jedi hero Bastila?
[PC] Yeah, didn't she get her vocal cords torn out in a tragic construction accident?
[Plot recap NPC] That's right. We all miss her constant whining and badgering about the dark side and stuff.

Nah, I'm betting it will be more like:

Plot recap NPC] R U Good or Bad?
[PC Option 1] I r a Good Guy!!!1
[PC Option 2] Gimme money nd I tll U!

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
DarkUnderlord said:
That is a pretty cool feature actually. A lot better than reading save games too because as has been said, you can say whatever you damn well like just to see what happens.
Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical about this myself. The original Kotor fight club idea sounded really awesome until you find out it's just another scripted plot with a set of 3 or 4 opponents and nothing more. No more interesting than the Fallout 2 Boxing club. Well, at least with that one people called you champ and such and such.

Anyways, it's not that I think doing something like this is impossible or even hard, just that the coolness factor will be 1/12 of what we expect it to be because Bioware sucks my ass.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
The save game transfer you'd only get to see parts from how you did the ending in the first game, and if you only finished it one way then you wouldnt get the other I guess. I'm sure they would recap in the sequal though.

suibhne

Erudite
I think this sounds great, personally, and it gives me hope that Obsidian's sequel might turn out to be a much better game than the original. But can someone please explain to me why GameSpot thinks this is "old school"?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Anyway, yes, this feature, if implemented correctly, will be really good to see. As for your question as to why it is considered old school - you just have to play the old Ultima games, Daggerfall and a number of other old school RPGs to understand why it is considered as such.

Let's see... all of those old games usually started the character creation sequence by asking you a number of questions about the 'childhood' and 'adolescent' development of your character prior to the actual game. Being 'raised by farmers' was one way of suggesting that your character spent a lot of time on the farm and built up his endurance doing menial chores, but didn't have the mental training to give him an intellectual edge.

Also present would be questions like "One day as you're walking down the road you see an angry mob of peasants chasing down a well dressed man accusing him of murder. What did you do?"

a) You help the man to escape by misleading the angry mob into another direction regardless of the fact that he may be guilty of what they accuse him.
b) You confront the angry mob, getting them to calm down, and explain to them that the man needs to be put on trial and not simply murdered on the streets.
c) You apprehend the man, but you extort him for his freedom, forcing him to surrender to you his belongings. If he refuses to pay, you promise to hand him over to the mob.
d) You ignore both the man and the angry mob, which eventually catch up to him and kill him.

The results would be:
a) Anarchist
b) Just
c) Opportunistic
d) Apathic

I miss those games.

ecliptic

Liturgist
The wizardries handle this nicely. 8 let you import any 7 save, even if you didn't beat it if I"m not completely wrong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom