Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mass Effect 2, RPG or not RPG

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

... that's the question. This time <a href="http://scarsofwargame.com/DevBlog">Gareth Fouche</a> elaborates on the matter.
<br>
First he kind of <a href="http://scarsofwargame.com/DevBlog/?p=1018">reviews the game</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The intro sequence gave me goosebumps of the kind that only Blizzard cinematics do with regularity, and the ending where you assault the Collectors is one of the most enjoyable sequences I’ve played in an RPG to date, largely because the whole game focuses on preparing for that Dirty Dozen suicide attack on the Collector base and the ending brings all that preparation to a smashing conclusion, all the upgrades you’ve made and characters you’ve recruited playing their role in the sequence. It just gives this fantastic weight to the things you’ve done to get to that point and losing party members in the assault has emotional impact (I lost Tali, for reference. I’d been pursuing her romance option for a while but then chose Miranda instead of her. Later, I sided with Legion over her and she’d gone cold to me. Then she loses her life defending the door in the final battle. Watching my character touch her coffin in farewell in the epilogue sequence was…well it had emotional weight.). I can honestly use the word ‘Epic’ here without a drop of irony.
<br>
<br>
I need to conclude this post, all this gushing probably got boring a while ago. ME2 is a great game, for once the hype didn’t disappoint. I know without a doubt that some will absolutely hate it for all the classic RPG mechanics it cut out. But I honestly think Bioware have done something bold and interesting with this title. While most of the mechanics aren’t original, the incredibly tight focus on the core mechanics is, and I think it challenges notions of what ‘needs’ to be in an RPG for it to be engaging. Do we include these mechanics because they support the gameplay we want to create, or because of the legacy of older titles in the genre? Are there better ways? I know when I sat down to create SoW I came up with a laundry list of standard RPG features I’d need to program and I didn’t even think about whether an inventory was necessary or not. I simply took it as a given.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
and then he proceeds to <a href="http://scarsofwargame.com/DevBlog/?p=1140">take a look</a> at the game mechanics, the issue whether ME2 is an RPG and the basic question what is an RPG in the first place.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">What is an RPG?
<br>
<br>
(Are you ready for it?)
<br>
<br>
Answer : ‘RPG’ is a communication shorthand term for a game which shares common features with the other games classified as ‘RPGs’.
<br>
<br>
Well, roleplay at its most basic is when you take on the persona of someone else and act how you think that person would act in a given scenario. Everyone has roleplayed at some time in their life, especially as children. We’ve all played Cops and Robbers, or whatever your personal equivalent was. I remember we used to love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so we’d go off and pretend to be them, playing out the martial arts moves and riding skateboards and fighting imaginary bad guys.
<br>
<br>
The key thing with roleplay though is that it involves improvisation. You aren’t given a strict script to follow. Rather you take on the goals and motivations of a persona and are then placed in a scenario where you get to improvise your responses based on how you think that the persona you’ve taken on would do so. The outcome is a result not of a set script but the organic melding of the situation, your responses and the responses of any other roleplayers. (Which is why roleplaying is generally at its most dynamic when there is more than one human involved. The interactions between the two can give rise to fascinating and unpredictable outcomes.)
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Since a lot of people seem to be quite riled up about the issue whether ME2 qualifies for an RPG or not - I don't hesitate to excrete my opinion on the subject as well. An RPG is a game that has an RPG character system and RPG combat. ME2 lacks both so it isn't an RPG. Easy. As for whether it is an Action RPG - I think that depends on how far you're willing to stretch the meaning of *Action* RPG. Being an RPG is by the way not a prerequisite for being a good game, therefor I agree with Gareth on this:
<br>
<i>I eagerly await ME3.</i>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97347-mass-effect-2-an-rpg.html">GB</A>

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Whether ME2 is one genre or the other is completely unimportant, for christ sakes.

You're like death metal fans discussing whether something is black metal or death metal.

Is the game good or shit? That's what matters.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Had ME2 better integrated the RPG bits into the rest of the game(you can't even access any of the RPG stuff unless you're on the ship, which is about 5% of the time) I would have called it an ActionRPG. As it stands, it is a Shooter with RPG elements. But a very good one at that.

Visbhume

Prophet
The only form of "character development" worth a damn is having the NPCs adjust their attitudes and beliefs in response to your actions.

Levels, skills trees and accompanying paraphernalia are barbarous relics which should be relegated to the dustbin of RPG history.

I don't care how i fight(hence the genre dispute), because i don't like fighting.

All i care about is challenge. There shouldn't just be a lot of challenge(because Serious sam and foken donkey kong are challenging), but also a good type of challenge.

In 6 words, give me a solid C&C system.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Grunker said:
Whether ME2 is one genre or the other is completely unimportant, for christ sakes.

You're like death metal fans discussing whether something is black metal or death metal.

Hahahahahah. You just broke the Codex. This was the most appropriate metaphor to describe this place. You realise this has been going on for more than 7 years right? This is really about discussing metal genres, you're spot on, utmost pure faggotry and we love it

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Grunker said:

Are you dumb? They never do that.

They are more likely to argue whether it's progressive or melodic death metal :smug:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Burzum is avant-garde progressive melodic death metal. :smug:

That's probably how the Codex would describe the RPG-equivalent of Burzum.

anomie

Scholar
hey buddy that's what the esteemed community over at RYM would like you believe about Burzum

with the Burzum metaphore my idea is the same as above for games.

I don't care what's the genre, as long as it's minimalistic and evocative, that is, it succeeds in summoning places, stories, humanity, rather than be a treat to the ears.

That's why i love Shadowman and Homeworld(Cataclysm) soundtracks. You can't say they're black metal, but like black metal, they aim to reach a level of ambience that is the heart of BM.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm really looking forward to Varg's next project now that he's out of jail. He said he'd make another black metal album.

(Or progressive folk melodic black pagan symphonic metal, if you want to be exact and overanalyze every aspect of the music)

JarlFrank said:
I'm really looking forward to Varg's next project now that he's out of jail. He said he'd make another black metal album.

(Or progressive folk melodic black pagan symphonic metal, if you want to be exact and overanalyze every aspect of the music)

all of which you can just call ambient, as i think he often said.

arguably Black Metal is simple disintegration of solids into a whole.

Regarding videogames, nothing is important, as long as you use your brain in a higher way.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Holy shit I just checked - his new album, Belus, is out (at least the torrent trackers already have it).

Downloadan.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
Burzum is avant-garde progressive melodic death metal. :smug:

That's probably how the Codex would describe the RPG-equivalent of Burzum.

That reminds me of Extreme Majestic Technical Epic Melodic Metal.

Nonetheless, I am still waiting for Wintersun's new album.

Get this shit out already, Jari!

Black

Arcane
Death metal doesn't have nearly as much C&C as black metal.
It's shit.

praetor

Arcane
Grunker said:

this is neither. this is mallcore

also, what roxyroxor said

JarlFrank said:
Holy shit I just checked - his new album, Belus, is out (at least the torrent trackers already have it).

Downloadan.

yeah. leaked a month or so ago. one of the best metal comeback albums. it really gives credit to his claims that he hasn't heard any metal album since '96.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom