Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol Impressions

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

Gotgame talk about their Alpha Protocol <a href="http://news.gotgame.com/alpha-protocol-impressions/39454/">Preview Impressions.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The third-person perspective combat I saw during the short demo was fast and exciting, and you will be able to acquire and level-up skills to make you deadlier or even stealthier. In the demo, Thorton sneaked up behind an enemy to snap his neck, picked up a firearm from the field, activated a temporary accuracy boost skill and then picked off other guards from afar – all in surprisingly very fast and smooth moves. Interestingly enough, the Obsidian folks made a point to say that the game could be completed without firing a single shot as well. On the otherhand, you could even kill innocent bystanders but like any other action in the game, the game itself and how other NPCs will respond to and feel about you will be different from each other.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Will it be possible to totally avoid combat in Alpha Protocol, and if yes - will you miss out on all the XP and loot?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14667">RPGWatch</A>

TheCowburner

Educated
What's going on in this pic?

alphaprot_prev_10.jpg

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the Obsidian folks made a point to say that the game could be completed without firing a single shot as well

Unless they somehow managed to misinterpret what has already been said about stealth take downs, this is news to me. Welcome news at that.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Lockkaliber said:
the Obsidian folks made a point to say that the game could be completed without firing a single shot as well

Unless they somehow managed to misinterpret what has already been said about stealth take downs, this is news to me. Welcome news at that.
Remember that close combat skills are also an option.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Lockkaliber said:
Turn invisibility on -> go to the next safe place -> wait until invisibility cooldown ends -> repeat

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
Lockkaliber said:
Turn invisibility on -> go to the next safe place -> wait until invisibility cooldown ends -> repeat

I'm pretty sure it means beating the shit out of everyone instead of shooting the shit out of everyone.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will it be possible to totally avoid combat in Alpha Protocol?

No, because people will shoot at you, and that means you're in combat.

starfish

Novice
Lavoisier said:
Jim Cojones said:
Lockkaliber said:

I'm pretty sure it means beating the shit out of everyone instead of shooting the shit out of everyone.

IDK. The same thing was said of the Metal Gear series but usually it involved shooting stuff with nonlethal weaponry or knocking guys unconscious with H2H.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Yes that's what aI meant as well (beating the shit out of everyone = knocking unconscious with H2H). They've confirmed there are non-lethal weapons too.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
root said:
it is a little bit silly wanting to be a hippie pacifist if you're a SPECTER superspy, isn't it?
Of course it is. But it is not silly to want to be able to play a spy who is using his wits and stealth skills instead of kicking asses and shooting to everything that moves.

The idea behind non-combat aproach isn't to play a pacifist. If this was the issue, nobody would complain because you are upposed to be able deal with your enemies with non-lethal methods (like tranqualiser darts).

TheCowburner

Educated
Silellak said:
TheCowburner said:
What's going on in this pic?

alphaprot_prev_10.jpg
I dunno, is it from Deus Ex or something?

...wait, that's from an upcoming game? :shock:

/graphicswhore
It's from Alpha Protocol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom