Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3 will be re-RPG-yfied

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

Due to complaints about the dumbing down of RPG elements in ME2 - complaints that naturally surfaced only like a month after the initial wave of perfect reviews - Bioware <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/13/bioware-designer-talks-about-goals-for-mass-effect-3/">sets new goals</a> for ME3.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The streamlined gameplay and GUI of Mass Effect 2 made it a huge critical success, but Norman pointed out some major criticisms from vocal members of the official BioWare forums. Threads titled "Mass Effect 2 is not an RPG" and "Gears of War with interactive dialogue" were highlighted as examples of fans disappointed by the strong shooting focus of the second game.
<br>
<br>
As with the transition from the first Mass Effect to the second, BioWare is taking these criticisms to heart for the third game, with Norman hoping the third will offer "richer RPG features" and "more combat options." What we can probably expect less of, however, is the mining minigame, which Norman described as the part that "nobody liked."
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
So mining is out, huh? Because nobody liked it, huh? Here's a hint: it's because it will hurt you physically. If I was you, BioWare, I would just force the inventor of that minigame to mine every single planet in the game, one after another, so that he'd plenty of opportunities to become fully aware of HOW AWESOME this minigame really is.
<br>
<br>
And enriching the character system, so that it at least remotely resembles a character system you'd expect from an ARPG, is certainly a welcome idea. The absence of hour-long tedious and boring grinds in ME2 was an improvement though.
<br>
<br>
In other ME-news renowned RPG site MTV <a href="http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/03/12/mass-effect-2-premium-dlc-preview/">previews the upcoming ME2 DLC Kasumis Memories</a>, a new adventure that most likely revolves around Kasumi and her memories.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The new DLC adds a brand new squad mate, Kasumi, who happens to be a master thief. She's looking to steal something priceless from a local muckity muck and she needs Commander Shepard's help to do it.
<br>
<br>
Unlike the vast majority of the missions in "Mass Effect 2," the PDLC will be much less combat-focused, at least to start. Shepard needs to infiltrate a high society party in order to get close to the object of Kasumi's desire, locked away in an underground vault underneath a mansion.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
I wonder how a *master thief* plays in a game without thieving skills. Probably like everyone else, except she has the invisibility-spell from the infiltrator class or something.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97167-biowares-goals-for-mass-effect-3.html">GB</A>

Pliskin

Arbiter
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I wonder how a *master thief* plays in a game without thieving skills. Probably like everyone else, except she has the invisibility-spell from the infiltrator class or something.

Like everything else in ME2 that isn't combat related: The Wheel of Blue / Red Conversation Choices of Insta Win!

Achilles

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
I liked the mining game and the Mako sections from the first game.

:shock:

Could you explain why?

On topic, I like the fact that they've achknowleged the EXTREME de-RPGfication. It gives me greater hope for Mass Effect 3.

BioWare is taking these criticisms to heart for the third game, with Norman hoping the third will offer "richer RPG features"
So, queue more dull dialoguewheeled cutscenes and "+2% damage" skills?

Also, I'll go ahead and shoot myself in the foot by saying that ME1's combat was less boring than ME2's. It had fun physics that made enemies fly from a shotgun/sniper blast to the face, magic was useful, armour offered protection instead of extra life bar, weapon overheating mechanic wasn't as overused as thermal ammo clips and weapons/equipment/implants modding added some variety to offence/defence.
But neither of them had much of 'RPG' to honestly compare their genre focus, to begin with, so people complaining about ME2 not being an RPG is more amusing than promising any meaningful change in the formula.

Silellak

Cipher
Alexandros said:
roll-a-die said:
I liked the mining game and the Mako sections from the first game.

:shock:

Could you explain why?

On topic, I like the fact that they've achknowleged the EXTREME de-RPGfication. It gives me greater hope for Mass Effect 3.
I feel the opposite; I think ME2 benefited greatly when it ditched a lot of the traditional RPG trappings. I'm now worried ME3 will be more like ME1, just because fanboys bitched on their forums. ME1 always felt schitzo to me, like Bioware couldn't decide if they wanted to make Gears of War or KotoR again, so they tried to do both. ME2 embraced the fact that Mass Effect is at its heart a shooter with RPG elements, and was all the better for it.

roll-a-die said:
I liked the mining game

:retarded:
The only nice thing I can say about the mining game is that it's almost sort-of Zen when it's late at night and you're too tired to do anything worthwhile in the game, but still want to get something accomplished.

Of course, scanning with the 360 controller is a bit less painful, since you get the physical feedback of the controller vibration rather than just the visual feedback of the graphs.

I still "like" (hate less?) it more than the Mako, only because it requires absolutely no thought whatsoever and isn't as time consuming.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Silellak said:
I feel the opposite; I think ME2 benefited greatly when it ditched a lot of the traditional RPG trappings. I'm now worried ME3 will be more like ME1, just because fanboys bitched on their forums. ME1 always felt schitzo to me, like Bioware couldn't decide if they wanted to make Gears of War or KotoR again, so they tried to do both. ME2 embraced the fact that Mass Effect is at its heart a shooter with RPG elements, and was all the better for it.

So you think that having more than 4 skillz for your party members, out of which 2 might be ammo-skills (which is a stupid concept to begin with) and another one is just +x% to everything - will harm the game? I very much doubt that. ME2 is a good game despite the dumbing down, not because of it. You can easily keep the improvements over ME1, like unique missions/maps, facedpaced combat sequences as opposed to derp-roady grinds etc and still have a decent character system.
One thing I'd really like would be a possibility to order party members to a shoot at a specific target, that you can't do that and have to completely rely on their AI is pretty disturbing on higher difficulties.

Silellak

Cipher
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Silellak said:

So you think that having more than 4 skillz for your party members, out of which 2 might be ammo-skills (which is a stupid concept to begin with) and another one is just +x% to everything - will harm the game? I very much doubt that. ME2 is a good game despite the dumbing down, not because of it. You can easily keep the improvements over ME1, like unique missions/maps, facedpaced combat sequences as opposed to derp-roady grinds etc and still have a decent character system.
One thing I'd really like would be a possibility to order party members to a shoot at a specific target, that you can't do that and have to completely rely on their AI is pretty disturbing on higher difficulties.
I wouldn't mind more skills for the player and particularly party members, but if the terrible inventory system comes back just because people bitched that it's not an RPG without an inventory, I will rage.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"only because it requires absolutely no thought whatsoever"

This sums up the Codex perfectly. They prefer activities that require no thought whatsoever. L0LZ

"ME2 is a good game despite the dumbing down, not because of it."

Silellak 4 THA W!

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:

This sums up the Codex perfectly. They prefer activities that require no thought whatsoever. L0LZ

You're right faggot but you don't really know what thinking is so you should shut the fuck up

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:

"ME2 is a good game despite the dumbing down, not because of it."

Silellak 4 THA W!
That was VoD, not me. I think ME2 is better than ME1 primarily because the combat mechanics were tightened, and both the writing and characters were significantly better. Not to mention the incredible music during the finale.

The "streamlined" inventory was definitely an improvement over the clusterfuck that was ME1's inventory, but something in-between those would be certainly be welcome. Mass Effect games are the sort of games where you need to find loot around every corner, but more weapons, armor, and upgrades would be nice.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Mining minigame was boring but nothing I'd care to bitch and moan about. Unless you're one of those morons who find it necessary to deplete every planet they come across, all you really need to do is a quick 1 minute scan for the larger resource spikes and then move on. Only had to do about an hour total of scanning throughout my 30+ hour playthrough, not that big of a deal imo.

More abilities in ME3 would be great. Hopefully they'll keep them like ME2's progression though, none of that "+3% increase" junk in a heavy action rpg. Also dialog skills, bring them back.

Couldn't care less about an inventory. Keep it as is in ME2, or give us an inventory that this time has stackable items. Either ways good to me.

Zeus

Cipher
I wish they'd combine Mass Effect's characters and drama with an open-space game like Elite. Think Starflight or Sundog with more RPG elements and crew-based storyline.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Its what I always believed with Action RPGs. Joe Public want lots of action and lost of roleplaying. Joe Public does not want more of one at the expense of the other.

They can't seem to come up with a way to mine without making it a boring grind. first game, explore featureless planets and go to the "!" on the map. 2nd game, scanning.

I didn't mind the Mako and its arcadey controls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom