Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol News

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

Gamesradar seemingly had some <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/alpha-protocol/preview/alpha-protocol-updated-impressions/a-20100312115022549094/g-20080313161521713022">hands-on time</a> with Alpha Protocol at the GDC.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">After seeing the two versions of the safehouse scene, our guide (one of the game’s producers) launched into a mission that was filled with loads of sneaky-shooty action. On its surface, combat appeared to be a typical 3rd person cover-based affair, but with the addition of special abilities developed through the game’s RPG system. Sound a bit like Mass Effect? It is, but from what we saw there’s a greater emphasis on stealth. Think Mass Effect crossed with Splinter Cell. We saw abilities like Silent Running and Shadow Operative (temporary invisibility) used to quietly take down enemies. The same mission, however, featured a segment in which a convoy needed to be destroyed with a rocket launcher. It looked to be a good mix of sneaking and balls-to-the-wall action, and of course the mission ended with a plot twist and an ambiguous moral decision.
<br>
We only got a brief look under the hood at the character sheet and skill trees, but there were more than enough active abilities, passive abilities, tech and weapon upgrade options for die-hard RPG fans to customize to their hearts’ content.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
If they say so.
<br>
<br>
Additionally there are 2 interviews. One <a href="http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/703208/GDC-2010-Alpha-Protocol-Interview.html">in video format</a> and another last-gen one which is all in funny little squiggles called letters.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>A document leaked from Sega contained criticism that Alpha Protocol felt like it didn’t have enough RPG elements. Does the team have any plans for tweaking the RPG elements between now and spring? Or do you find the concern inaccurate?</b>
<br>
<br>
It should be noted that the document being referred to contained criticisms on a demo that was quite old at the time - and that was some time ago. We refined our systems and the RPG feel a lot over the spring and summer of 2009, so when that came out both the Sega production group and Obsidian didn't feel the criticisms remained valid. The build they were from was just too different from what the game had grown into.
<br>
<br>
Alpha Protocol provides a massive number of RPG choices: you determine how you want your character to grow, what weapons and items you are going to use, what special abilities make sense for any situation, and the story has an immense number of branches and outcomes. Almost everything you do in the game is going to affect something else, and once players start to see the ramifications of their choices, they're going to be amazed.
<br>
</p>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GB</A>

TheCowburner

Educated
Alpha Protocol provides a massive number of RPG choices: you determine how you want your character to grow, what weapons and items you are going to use, what special abilities make sense for any situation, and the story has an immense number of branches and outcomes. Almost everything you do in the game is going to affect something else, and once players start to see the ramifications of their choices, they're going to be amazed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tunguska

Liturgist
From the screenshots, I just hope that that little sun of bloom at the end of each gun barrel can at least be turned off in settings. I am not much of an FPS fan. In fact, after Doom and Wolfenstein3D I barely played them at all. But I recently played Far Cry 2 and the realistic look and feel and shooting of the weapons should really set the standard. I have actually fired a firearm (although just a .38 revolver) and I don't recall seeing any miniature fireballs or glowing areas of plasma sprouting magically from the business end. The explosion occurs well inside of the barrel anyway. Whoever responsible for that idiotic art design decision should go spend a day at a firing range or something.

As for the rest, it looks promising, but only because of who the developer is and the fact that MCA is involved. I hope the game includes a good aiming system. That was my favorite part of Far Cry 2. Taking the time to aim before I fired, preferably with a sniper rifle of some kind, and trying to track down the occasional sniper firing at me. Anyone recall the sniper scene from The Hurt Locker? If only someone could get that gritty sense of realism and that dramatic tension into a computer game. Obviously both a good stealth system and a good aiming system will be necessary for this game. Hope they can manage the mechanics of that.

When I think of hand to hand fighting I am reminded of my attempts at playing Jade Empire. A game I do not hold in high regard. OTOH, ever since the original (2D) Castle Wolfenstein I have been waiting for an action shooter where I could do a "stickup" on an armed opponent if I could manage to sneak up behind them and put a gun to the back of their head. In Castle Wolfenstein (for the Apple II and Atari 400/800), IIRC once they had their hands up in the air you could then proceed to steal all of their ammo from the gun (steal their clip?), thus rendering them harmless without killing them. That was great fun. Maybe this game will include stuff like that. There is a lot of potential for fun scenarios in a game like this. I hope they come through with all their C&C, but I also hope that the fighting will require some strategy and tactics, some thought.

Pseudofool

Scholar
They are really touting choice and consequences; let's hope the game lives up to even a shadow of that hype.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

GIGANTIC BONER

Cassidy

Arcane
Grimoire will be released first than a game from Obsidian that isn't a copypasta from other games with different graphix and which gameplay doesn't suck.

I'm still buying (mostly because of MCA) and I'm hoping it'll turn out good.
That said, I'd much rather see MCA write a Graham Greene-style spy game with a proper dialogue system. The whole Bond/Bauer/Bourne concept is more than a little cheesy and, combined with the dialogue stances thing, makes the game whiff of a Mass Effect knock-off.
Which some people might actually like, except it's not like Obsidian have a reputation for making great Bioware games.

Cassidy

Arcane
As this is supposed to be another console hit, I have to say that Goldeneye 64 was a better game than this shit will ever be regarding cheesy spy games.

You don't need to be Cleve to predict that.

Clockwork Knight said:
The whole Bond/Bauer/Bourne concept is more than a little cheesy
isn't the game supposed to be like a cheesy spy flick?

Of course it is. For all I know it could end up a fun game, too. All I'm saying is I'd prefer MCA to make it more like Our Man in Havana and less like Moonraker, if you take my meaning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom