Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bloodlines - Just Shy of Greatness

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

The <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_244/7258-The-Last-Masquerade" target="blank">latest edition</a> of The Escapist turns its gaze to games that are "nearly great," including Troika's <b>Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines</b>.
<br>
<blockquote>Sadly, Bloodlines was the last game that Troika would ever make, as the company folded just a few months after its release. With more money, time and manpower, Bloodlines could have been a genuine masterpiece rather than the cult classic it eventually became. But even though it stumbled out of the starting gate, Bloodlines accomplished something great: More than five years on, there is still a dedicated community creating unofficial patches and restoring cut content, a feat that few games - even incredibly popular and well known ones - can boast. Great games may inspire awe, but Troika's swan song stirred a feeling in players that is just as powerful: devotion.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/editors_note/7259-Editors-Note-Needs-More-Cowbell">The Escapist</A>

Ausir

Arcane
More than five years on, there is still a dedicated community creating unofficial patches and restoring cut content

Same with ToEE, too.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
More than five years on, there is still a dedicated community creating unofficial patches and restoring cut content
Bloodlines - even five years isn't enough to fix it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Same applies for all Troika Games. I'd say every game of Troika had something UBERAWESOME no one ever managed to do better - nor before nor after. Sandbox, yet great world in Arcanum (happened only in Fallout), great fighting system in TOEE (no one made anything good like that) and atmosphere + dialogues(with voice acting) of Bloodlines (nobody made that kind of atmosphere so good as well and other games dialogues sound silly when compared to Bloodlines, well except PST but it had nearly no voice acting).

Troika had a great potential... but it died so Bioware's or Bethesda's games could spawn.

Now you made me sad :'(

Murk

Arcane
All of Troika's games had someone else creating a long string of unofficial patches - Drog just managed to do Arcanum's in a much shorter period of time than the rest and was anally retentive enough to keep things gestalt.

All three of Troika's games were perfect in at least one capacity and great in most others... and had one heinous flaw, as well. Also, bugs. Lots and lots of bugs.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
the writer's private blog has an article on dragon age, which sounds vaguely codexish:

As I said, I’m enjoying Dragon Age a great deal, but I’m enjoying it despite of BioWare’s best efforts, not because of it.

Dionysus

Scholar
I think they needed more than money and manpower. They needed more focus. Sometimes it felt like they were trying to make Fallout with FP combat and sometimes it felt like they were trying to make Doom with interactive dialog. Those two goals aren't compatible.

Hory

Erudite
I think that more money and manpower would have translated into more features with more bugs. That's what makes Troika so great - rough diamonds instead of polished plastic.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Konjad said:
Troika had a great potential... but it died so Bioware's or Bethesda's games could spawn.

It's too bad that VtM: Bloodlines failed as it had so many technical problems because otherwise it was a good game. But that's Troika's fault entirely and nobody else's. The industry's merciless with this kind of stuff and nobody is going risk their money funding a game that will end up a buggy mess.

As for ToEE it was flawed from its very conception. Just giving a D&D PnP session some nice graphics is not what crpgs are about, sorry. You need to adopt this for a new medium like the PC.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"All three of Troika's games were perfect"

Nothing is perfect. Stop the bullshits, start the truths!

The article title is right. Bl is a good game thatn coulda been great.

And, everyione should get their tongue out of Troika's ass. They failed ebcause they weren't good enough. Take that.

"As I said, I’m enjoying Dragon Age a great deal, but I’m enjoying it despite of BioWare’s best efforts, not because of it."

This deosn't fuckin' make any sense. FFS

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Remember kids, Bloodlines was nearly great and Fallout 3 is the best game evar.

What was actually 'great' about Bloodlines? Tits? Gore? Jerky animations? The linear story (with lots of fake choices)? Jeanette? Goth music?

Meh, I finished it only once. The absurd amount of filler combat (with awful combat mechanics, I might add) killed the game for me. I don't care how good the story is if the game is shit to play. And since it's a completely linear game, you can't really enjoy it for its story more than once.

R00fles!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Droog White Smile said:
And since it's a completely linear game, you can't really enjoy it for its story more than once.

R00fles!

Except for the fact that it will be radically different if you play a Malk, or at least your perception of it will be.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
Droog White Smile said:
What was actually 'great' about Bloodlines? Tits? Gore? Jerky animations? The linear story (with lots of fake choices)? Jeanette? Goth music?

Meh, I finished it only once. The absurd amount of filler combat (with awful combat mechanics, I might add) killed the game for me. I don't care how good the story is if the game is shit to play. And since it's a completely linear game, you can't really enjoy it for its story more than once.

R00fles!
The characters and the dialogues are great, especially the Malkavian ones. The rest is p. lame.

Jaedar said:
Droog White Smile said:
And since it's a completely linear game, you can't really enjoy it for its story more than once.

R00fles!

Except for the fact that it will be radically different if you play a Malk, or at least your perception of it will be.
No, it will still be exactly the same. You're a fuckin' LARPer if flavor dialog affects your perception of the game so much.

FFS

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
dialogue= two people talking.
So if you change everything one of the participants say, you change quite a bit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Remember kids, Bloodlines was nearly great and Fallout 3 is the best game evar."

I hope your target here isn't me as I LOATHE FO3!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom