Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News FO: New Vegas tidbits

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

Ausir <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/OXM_US_previews_Fallout:_New_Vegas">unearthed some more info</a> on Obsidian Entertainments upcoming Elder Scrolls Mod.
<br>
<br>
Here's an excerpt:
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">We've already seen the (pretty bad) preview of Fallout: New Vegas from OXM UK. Fortunately, its US counterpart is much better written. Most of the info is old, but here's some new stuff:
<br>
<br>
* Character creation is virtually identical to Fallout 3, with cosmetic changes like the Gene Projector being replaced by ReflectionTM, "You're SPECIAL!" by Vit-o-Matic machine and GOAT by a psychological test
<br>
* The local super mutants are pretty tough and will keep you from wandering aimlessly in the early portions of the game - they tend to be tougher even than deathclaws
<br>
* Sunny Smiles' dog is named Cheyenne. They'll assist you with the Powder Gangers in the Ghost Town Firefight quest if you help her kill some geckos.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/OXM_US_previews_Fallout:_New_Vegas">thanks Ausir!</A>

VentilatorOfDoom said:
The local super mutants are pretty tough and will keep you from wandering aimlessly in the early portions of the game - they tend to be tougher even than deathclaws

Not being able to roam wherever you want at level *1* because there are things around that'll destroy you utterly and totally?

:incline:

sirfink

Scholar
Don't worry guys. I'm sure it'll be great! We have the messiahs of RPGs working on it! Have faith! What could possibly go wrong?

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
What constitutes 'more First-Person Shootery'? Details! Details!

Hopefully it means its more like Rainbow Six and less like FO 3.

Melcar

Arcane
I don't mind having a real FPS for Fallout. Just not the horrible "thing" Beth. created please.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sorry man. You will have to kill 30 gekkos, just like in real RPGs!

Obsidian - fucks up Bethesda's single player MMOs even further?

gothfox

Liturgist
Melcar said:
I don't mind having a real FPS for Fallout. Just not the horrible "thing" Beth. created please.

Can't argue with that. Same goes for ME1 combat versus ME2. I don't care if it's FPS or TPS or turn-based isometric or whatever, but it should be done properly.

CrimHead

Scholar
I haven't been keeping up with this game...Is Avellone writing?

Monocause

Arcane
So far everything hints that NV will be the most acceptable next-gen Fallout we're likely to get and yet some still bitch.

me2chink.png

Try to fill your life with positive thought from time to time.

Tits.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Melcar said:

Agreed. I always wanted to just play a FPS done in the fallout universe.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Good. If they change just one thing in NV it should be a refinement of the combat mechanics. I can tolerate a decent stat-based FPS, but the fps controls do have to work well.

I'm still going to have tentative hopes for this. If anything Obsidian should be able to produce a game that's more fun/better to play than Fallout 3.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Jaedar said:
DriacKin said:
Ausir said:
The combat gameplay was tweaked to be more first-person-shootery
:sigh:
I'd rather have good FPS than fail VATS and fail FPS.

I've seen no evidence to believe that Obsidian is capable of creating a good FPS. All of the previews I've seen for 'Alpha Protocol' make me think it'll be a very shitty shooter. Perhaps the dialogue may be decent, but the combat is almost guaranteed to suck.
None of Obsidian's other games have ever had engaging combat. Even their best game, MotB, was banal, shit boring if you took away the story/characters/dialogue/music.

Texas Red

Whiner
I dont really give a shit if the combat is good or mediocre. It will always be bad if most of the RPG revolves around dungeon crawling.

bhlaab

Erudite
DriacKin said:
Jaedar said:
DriacKin said:
Ausir said:
I'd rather have good FPS than fail VATS and fail FPS.

I've seen no evidence to believe that Obsidian is capable of creating a good FPS. All of the previews I've seen for 'Alpha Protocol' make me think it'll be a very shitty shooter. Perhaps the dialogue may be decent, but the combat is almost guaranteed to suck.
None of Obsidian's other games have ever had engaging combat. Even their best game, MotB, was banal, shit boring if you took away the story/characters/dialogue/music.

josh sawyer comes off as a huge gun freak which tends to lead towards better shooting mechanics.

plus the foundation is already there, all they gotta do is tweak the formulas. whether this will result in skills having more of an effect of less of one is yet to be seen.

Luzur

Good Sir
why dont they just skip the char generation and other RPG stuff and make the rest of the Fallout series straight shooters, with autoheal if you take cover for some minutes.

could call it VaultDweller of Fallout: The Legend of Bad-Ass and feature over 9000 different guns, explosions and corridor running.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Bitching doesn't help or change anything for that matter. It just increases the post count.

Like I just did now. +1

DriacKin said:
Ausir said:

That's a good thing. Instead of half assed shootery we'll maybe have an ok shootery.

I've seen no evidence to believe that Obsidian is capable of creating a good FPS

Well, Beth is also shit at doing combat, so I expect the "better shootery" to be at least on par with FO3, if not better

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom