Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alpha Protocol Footage

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

Watch this Developer Diary Video of the soon to be released Alpha Protocol <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97034-alpha-protocol-developer-diary-video-5.html">over yonder at Gambanshees.</a>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97034-alpha-protocol-developer-diary-video-5.html">GB</A>

Angthoron

Arcane
"I think RPGs are a very interesting in that people want to play around with all the different types of options that they have available to them, be it with gadgets or with the weapons or armor or different playstyles, how they approach the different situations in the game."

:rage:

Also, looks like Obsidian version of VATS is in, and unsurprisingly, it's a cheap knock-off version of the original so it's missing the interface and the cool execution animations with flying eyeballs and dropping arms.

On a slightly more serious note, at least the graphics are better than in Obsidian's previous games, textures look clear for a change.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Actually Obsidian took crap from FO3 and MEh and showed how it can look when devs put some effort into gameplay implementation.
Too bad I don't give a fuck about those types of console shooters or the setting.

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
Actually Obsidian took crap from FO3 and MEh and showed how it can look when devs put some effort into gameplay implementation.
Too bad I don't give a fuck about those types of console shooters or the setting.

Well, I was actually a bit sarcastic about it. The actual shootery part seems rather okay. Then again, this was a promo, so they'd hardly pick the worst scenes.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
BTW it's not the most recent news but I can't recall the Codex discuss!!ing this yet; Sega has decided to change the cover for Alpha Protocol so instead of this shit the game will use something like this:

1725701.jpg

high resolution version

FAGGOT PROTOCOL IS GONNA BE A DUMMED DOWN PEACE OF SHIT FOR CONSOLETARDS

DUNNO ABOUT U GUYS BUT I PREEFER TO PLAY ONLY INTELIGENT VIDEO GAMES

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The gameplay looked pretty bad tbh. But good RPG gameplay usually does so I have no idea where I should be standing when it comes to this :/

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Jaedar said:
The gameplay looked pretty bad tbh. But good RPG gameplay usually does

Because there was so much "RPG goodness" on this video...

And we've just heard it from Obsidian that for them RPG is the different weapons and armors you can use.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SO TRUE GLAD TO SEE SOMEBODAY ELSE WITH SOME BRIANS ON THIS BOARD

Tycn

Savant
The Feral Kid said:
Jaedar said:

And we've just heard it from Obsidian that for them RPG is the different weapons and armors you can use.
And dual wielding, and minigames.

Silellak

Cipher
The Feral Kid said:
Jaedar said:

Wow, some people really do hear what they want to hear.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Silellak said:
The Feral Kid said:
Jaedar said:

And some people can't see or hear anything at all. Like the part of the video from 2:50 to 3:05.

...what the hell are they talking about near the end of that video? All the 'parts' of the game they mentioned don't add up to the core of an RPG.

You're going to be shooting people, you're going to be blowing them up, and you'll be able to play around with the gadgets in your arsenal, while employing different ways to penetrate the target building. Does this sound like anything other than an Action-Adventure?

If you slapped your average gamer in front of a screen and showed them this dev diary, I'm pretty sure not a single one of them would think 'RPG' at all until the last couple seconds where they actually talk about what type of game it is.

Watching it myself I was thinking something more along the lines of Siphon Filter. If they want to change public percetion of the game, which they apparently do considering how they lost their shit a couple months ago, they need to stop presenting the game in this way and actually start showing the RPG elements. Stop this bull about how you have 'choice'...... in how you want to blow someone up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
...what the hell are they talking about near the end of that video? All the 'parts' of the game they mentioned don't add up to the core of an RPG.

You're going to be shooting people, you're going to be blowing them up, and you'll be able to play around with the gadgets in your arsenal, while employing different ways to penetrate the target building. Does this sound like anything other than an Action-Adventure?
Well, they mean that you can build your character to specialize in one of those areas. Gain experience and put points in specific skills. In that sense it's an RPG.

The Feral Kid said:
Silellak said:
The Feral Kid said:
Jaedar said:

And some people can't see or hear anything at all. Like the part of the video from 2:50 to 3:05.

He didn't say that, really. He said that people want to play around with options 'n' shit and rpgs have options 'n' shit. Among these options are weapons and armor.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tycn said:
The Feral Kid said:
Jaedar said:

And dual wielding, and minigames.

But you also have "skills" the sole purpose of which is to make those minigames last longer - tr00 RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom