Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News You can't have too much Diablo

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

Activision Blizzard took a break from crushing dreams and destroying careers to file their <a href="http://apps.shareholder.com/sec/viewerContent.aspx?companyid=ACTI&docid=7089494#A2196314Z10-K_HTM_DA11401_ITEM_1__BUSINESS" target="blank">annual 10-K report</a>, which implied that you'll see a lot more <b>Diablo</b> in the coming years.
<br>
<blockquote>Blizzard is currently developing new games, including a new expansion pack to the World of Warcraft franchise , Cataclysm , StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, which will be released with the new and improved Battle.net, and <b>sequels to the Diablo franchise</b>. </blockquote>
<br>
Common sense would dictate that at least one will be a God of War style 3rd person action game or an FPS (First Person Slasher).
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com/">Blue's News</A>

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Blizzard hasn't done an original IP since... what was it... 1998 ?

Well, I guess that still makes them more original than Nintendo.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They probably mean DIII + expansion... or DLC or what have you.

Mattresses

Scholar
I seem to recall reading Blizzard intended to put their old franchises to rest, most likely to make way for KotickCraft, but I guess they remembered they fired all their talent?

Yeesh

Magister
In the more than 13 years since the arrival of Diablo, the total number of Blizzard releases in this franchise has been... three*. That's two games and one expansion. In 13 years. With Diablo III apparently not coming out this year, too much Diablo is not a problem gamers have had.

*Yeah, I'm not counting Hellfire. Because no one does.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Of course we're going to see "a lot more Diablo". They announced Diablo 3 a while ago.

Yeesh said:
the total number of Blizzard releases in this franchise has been... three*.
*Yeah, I'm not counting Hellfire. Because no one does.
You did say "Blizzard releases". Hellfire was released by Sierra (and developed by... I think it was Synergistic. The guys that made the Excalibur games I think) so there's no reason it should count. Hell I doubt any of the Diablo fans even remember it exists.

shihonage said:
Blizzard hasn't done an original IP since... what was it... 1998 ?
That would've been Starcraft, so yeah. 12 years. Not that they've released a huge number of games in their old IPs since then. Two game, three expansions... and all the WoW shit.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Activision > Blizzard. That means, Activision OWNS Blizzard. Come on, you really think Blizzard have a say in anything, considering that morons like Ghostcrawler (2 years with Blizzard, WTF?) have been in charge of design for WoW post-Ulduar, and most people agree that since Ulduar everything has fucking sucked?

Is Diablo 1 worth playing? I remember it being fun back in the day on the PSX but after having tried out D2 I was pretty disenfranchised. Is the Hellfire expansion a worthy addition?

Diablo, which I've played through numerous times, has a great atmosphere and something of a gem-like unassuming perfection to it. Diablo II, which I've played almost through once, is pretty awful in comparison.

Undoubtedly it's partly nostalgia on my part.

Divine Divinity loses badly in atmosphere, so I never got through the first dungeon. The monsters in DD don't die as satisfyingly as in D either.

I think Hellfire is crap.

Zeus

Cipher
PlanHex said:
Diablo PSX is pretty crap.

It had its flaws, but it was literally the only thing like it on the system. Keep in mind, this was before Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance ushered in a golden age of console co-op action RPGs. Before Diablo for PSX, you pretty much only had Secret of Mana. Me and my brother had a lot of fun with PSX Diablo. The only problem was our saved game kept getting messed up.

I remember we'd do a trick where we'd start a new game and import our characters, kill a few levels of enemies for experience and loot, start a new game and import our characters into that, etc.

Droog White Smile said:
I wonder if there will be DLC classes.

The classes will be free (for $49 retail). It's the individual skills which will cost $20 each.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanoix said:
Activision > Blizzard. That means, Activision OWNS Blizzard. Come on, you really think Blizzard have a say in anything, considering that morons like Ghostcrawler (2 years with Blizzard, WTF?) have been in charge of design for WoW post-Ulduar, and most people agree that since Ulduar everything has fucking sucked?

Unless something changed since I quit, Ghostcrawler is in charge of class balance, which was actually getting pretty good in WotLK.

They completely fucked up the raiding game, though, and I really don't regret leaving. It seems like WotLK went downhill after the Activision merger. It's the only explanation I can think of.

I really hope Diablo 3 doesn't have DLC, because if it does I won't touch it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think WoW went downhill as soon as TBC was released :hardcore:

I'm cautiously optimistic about D3 though, could be streamlined but still somewhat entertaining, could be just as enjoyable as D2. And D2 is much much better than the original.

Yeesh

Magister
Xor said:
I really hope Diablo 3 doesn't have DLC, because if it does I won't touch it.

I really hope D3 actually gets released one day, because then we can worry about these things.

But as far as DLC goes, I wouldn't be too surprised. The awesome strength of battle.net's ability to defeat Warez combined with the money-making power of DLC transactions? That'd be a lot of money in they's pockets.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Diablo is like a double size Mars bar. It's sweet, tasty, black and at the end you feel bad for eating it.

How is hellfire? Is it enough to be worth replaying D1 if I had enjoyed D1? I've never really tried it since I liked to play with mods and hellfire was not supported by any of them.

I can feel in my bones that there are going to be people higher up at blizzard pushing for DLC. Selling even 10 million copies of SC2/D3 is barely even a speedbump to the amount of money WoW makes. They want to do more then that I am sure. I can also see that the SC2 community would be hugely pissed off at DLC, and the D3 players probably only a little less so. My guess is they will do a lot of testing the waters like selling meaningless, non game-affecting things like skins for a year or two before they get the balls to actually offer maps or classes.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The insect levels were shit. The catacombs levels were awesome. Hellfire is worth just for the option to walk faster in town.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
shihonage said:
You can't run in original Diablo. That game has not aged well.

Levels aren't too big so it's not much of a problem. My main issue with the game was the lack of auto-attack when you keep the button clicked, but there is a program that lets you do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom