Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mass Effect 2 Verdict

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

1UP present their <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9021445">final thoughts</a> about Mass Effect 2.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">I think this is an extremely important distinction between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. I've heard people say that they don't like the second game because it doesn't feel as "epic," or that it feels like a "series of sidequests." But I would argue that Mass Effect 2's universe feels like a much larger and more interesting place, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that all the history established in the first game is in action for the second. Mass Effect 2 drives the story forward, but it also fleshes things out quite a bit.
<br>
</p>
<br>
I had the impression that the story in ME2 wasn't being *driven forward* all that much.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">What I appreciate the most about Mass Effect 2 though is how ruthlessly the fat has been excised and perceived flaws corrected. What it sacrifices in depth it gains in the purification of its gameplay, as I discussed in my most recent entry. I actually enjoyed the combat, which is a lot more than I can say for the first Mass Effect. It's a pity that BioWare opted to significantly pare down the skill trees (they're more like skill bushes now), but I feel like they had to perfect the game's mechanical foundation before they could expand upon it. Now that they've got the actual shooting down, there's plenty of time to add increased armor, weapon and skill customization.
<br>
</p>
<br>
The gameplay has been purified. And all that has been necessary was to sacrifice the depth.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14472">RPGWatch</A>

Silellak

Cipher
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The gameplay has been purified. And all that has been necessary was to sacrifice the depth.
No depth was sacrificed, because all the "depth" in ME1 was superficial and unnecessary.
avril-lavigne-trying-too-hard-youre-doing-it.jpg

To quote Gareth:
Enough gushing about the story and setting, let’s talk mechanics. Because there is another shocker there. This is probably the first game I’ve experienced where streamlining has actually dramatically enhanced the gameplay. Streamlining is generally seen as a dirty word with gamers, code for ‘we’re making the gameplay simpler and easier’. That isn’t what streamlining actually is. Streamlining actually means removing elements which interfere with or are unnecessary for the experience you’re trying to create, whether it be gameplay or an efficient GUI system. Proper streamlining requires that you understand what your gameplay is fundamentally about, what makes your game enjoyable, so that you don’t cut out bits that support that gameplay.

Playing ME2 I get the strong impression that they analysed the original, discarded or pruned what didn’t work or wasn’t the focus (tedious inventory, repetitive and boring side-quests, needless skill ranks) and put all their resources into polishing the core focus of the game (3rd person shooter/squad combat, ‘digital acting’ and a fast-paced, cinematic storyline with lots of fun renegade/paragon choices.). And by Jove, it worked wonders. I don’t miss what they have removed at all and the whole experience flows much more smoothly.
http://scarsofwargame.com/DevBlog/?p=1018

Achilles

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
How was ME1 "deep" anyway? I liked both games, but after replaying ME1 recently I'm REALLY glad they got rid of the inventory and item looting altogether.

I think we're speaking in relative terms. Mass Effect 1 was deeper than ME2. As for the inventory, I disagree. If you have a system that doesn't quite work, the solution is to improve it, not remove it altogether.

Project: Eternity
Alexandros said:
Freelance Henchman said:
How was ME1 "deep" anyway? I liked both games, but after replaying ME1 recently I'm REALLY glad they got rid of the inventory and item looting altogether.

I think we're speaking in relative terms. Mass Effect 1 was deeper than ME2. As for the inventory, I disagree. If you have a system that doesn't quite work, the solution is to improve it, not remove it altogether.

Was it deeper because of the inventory though? I don't think that added much of anything to the experience except tedious selling/destroying. My impression was that ME1 was mostly supposed to be a "cinematic" experience, and selling loot all the time certainly didn't help that.

As for improving but not removing, you don't have a "real" inventory in ME2 anymore but you do get a way to pick up different items anyway, though in a "streamlined" (dumbed down lol) way. So I think improving is what they actually did, though it was not in the Codex approved way.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
A bit offtopic, but am i the only one who thinks that completely replacing persuation/intimidation skills with jedi/sith points in ME2 is a horrible idea?

CrimHead

Scholar
Ok, I admit it. I liked ME2. For one, it doesn't try to put a fake sense of meaningfulness on stats and inventory items like ME1. To be truthful, I couldn’t give a shit about the armor or guns in the first game. They all looked the same, fired the same, or did the same things. None of it mattered. It’s typical Bioware “illusion of choice” bullshit. Better give me less options than give me a bunch and have all of them be the same.

Mass Effect 2 is dfferent. Instead of pretending to be something it's not, it just goes and does what Mass Effect should have been in the first place. There's more of a focus on fighting this time, but at least you're on foot and not in that ridiculous Mako. The shooting elements have been vastly improved (now it feels BETTER than Gears of War instead of like its retarded cousin) and the characters are much more interesting and diverse. One thing I can say I wasn't too pleased wit hwas the relative lack of KKKodex entries compared to the first game. But the improved dialouge and characters make up for this, which would otherwise be a fatal flaw.

So.... ME2 is a straight up third person shooter with an enjoyable cast of characters and better writing, storytelling, and voice acting than 99% of games currently being made. The production quality is amazing. Music, Graphics, Atmosphere... All are top notch. It really does feel like an interactive movie. My favorite scene was talking to Aria in that club on Omega with that retro techno playing in the background…. Reminds me of Bladerunner or Terminator 2 music, which is always a good thing.

Granted it does have its host of glaring flaws (the aforementioned comparatively flimsy plot) but such is usually the case with the second installments in trilogies. The last boss was ridiculous, the planet scanning mini-game was horrendous, and Zaeed is an utterly worthless addition to the squad, but those flaws aside, it’s a solid game, and one I’d recommend to just about anyone who likes Sci-fi.

Fake Edit: Heh, I find it funny the one contemporary Bioware game the Codex as a whole enjoys Volourn dismisses as dumbed down. With this little bit of evidence I think you're just being deliberately non-conformist, Pretty-Princess.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fake Edit: Heh, I find it funny the one contemporary Bioware game the Codex as a whole enjoys Volourn dismisses as dumbed down. With this little bit of evidence I think you're just being deliberately non-conformist, Pretty-Princess."

You are retarded. I haven't dimissed ME2 at all, fuck nut. And, i was calling ME2 dumbed down just as the Codex was pre release. The only difference is that the game is dumbed down and I am claling BIO on it while theb Codex is retarded as usual.

How cna argue that ME2 didn't dumb its conmbat and characetr system? This is hard cold fact. 'Streamlining' is a bullshit buzzword to make excuses for it.

The fact you think i dismiss ME2 shows how retarded you are, and how conviently and deliberately ignorsn the obvious. Espicially since I'm far from the only person who has called ME2 dumbed down 9and, no, I'm not coutnming that moron Skyway).

ME2's combat is basicaklly hide n seek. I mean FFS it has ammo types as fuckin' talents. That's fuckin' pathetic. It took away the dialogue skills. It also dumbed down medi/omnigel. Biotics are enar useless.

Also, don't brag too much about the loss of a vehicle as guess what.. ME2 will have vehicle shortly. LMFAO

FFS You are dumb.

P.S. If I were trying to be 'non comfortist', I'd be hating on games like FO. LMFAO

Felix

Arcane
Bioware seem confused improving with removing, if somthing doesn't work they should try to make it work, not remove it altogether, that is just lazy.

But Bioware doesn't know how to make the inventory worth shit.

CrimHead

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Fake Edit: Heh, I find it funny the one contemporary Bioware game the Codex as a whole enjoys Volourn dismisses as dumbed down. With this little bit of evidence I think you're just being deliberately non-conformist, Pretty-Princess."

You are retarded. I haven't dimissed ME2 at all, fuck nut. And, i was calling ME2 dumbed down just as the Codex was pre release. The only difference is that the game is dumbed down and I am claling BIO on it while theb Codex is retarded as usual.

How cna argue that ME2 didn't dumb its conmbat and characetr system? This is hard cold fact. 'Streamlining' is a bullshit buzzword to make excuses for it.

The fact you think i dismiss ME2 shows how retarded you are, and how conviently and deliberately ignorsn the obvious. Espicially since I'm far from the only person who has called ME2 dumbed down 9and, no, I'm not coutnming that moron Skyway).

ME2's combat is basicaklly hide n seek. I mean FFS it has ammo types as fuckin' talents. That's fuckin' pathetic. It took away the dialogue skills. It also dumbed down medi/omnigel. Biotics are enar useless.

Also, don't brag too much about the loss of a vehicle as guess what.. ME2 will have vehicle shortly. LMFAO

FFS You are dumb.

P.S. If I were trying to be 'non comfortist', I'd be hating on games like FO. LMFAO

Really, I'd love to deconstruct your entire argument, but alot of your points don't make sense in the larger context. Here, take this for example (which was, unsurprisingly, the only legitimate criticism you made in your entire post)

"ME2's combat is basicaklly hide n seek. I mean FFS it has ammo types as fuckin' talents."

I really don't see how the latter sentence validates your point. It has ammo types as talents, you say? How does that tie in with it being “hide-n-seek?” Ok, let’s disregard that. You obviously don’t have a way with words. What's so bad about ammo types as talents exactly? ME1 had ammo types as inventory items. How is one preferable to the other? It's irrelevant. It doesn’t affect game play so I don't give two flying fucks about it. As for the fact that it's "hide n' seek" well I'm guessing that's a reference to the cover based combat system? Ok, I'll agree with you. I'm not too fond of that either, but is ME1's combat really preferable? It’s clumsy. It’s awkward. It tries to be Gears of War and ends up a retarded facsimile where your opponents lack even the basic intelligence to not run straight into your gun. At least Mass Effect 2’s enemies take cover.

“P.S. If I were trying to be 'non comfortist', I'd be hating on games like FO. LMFAO”

Hah! Good one. You already do. In fact, you once criticized Planescape Torment as having worse writing than the majority of Bioware games and criticized Fallout for being short! No-one in their right mind does either of those. The quality of PST’s writing is self evident, and if you really want some examples of its quality compared to Dragon Age’s or Baldur’s Gate or Mass Effect I can gladly get you some. As for Fallout, yeah it’s short, but the possibilities are endless, and complaining about a game’s length is like complaining about a movie’s or a books. It’s retarded. What matters is the quality. I mean, just imagine this conversation.

Dad: “Hey son, how’d you like Of Mice and Men?”

Son: It took me 2 hours! Seriously Dad! 2 hours? What a ripoff! Horrible book. Sucks. 1 star.

In conclusion: Mass Effect 2 is everything Mass Effect 1 tried to be and failed. FSS why do you lie?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hah! Good one. You already do. In fact, you once criticized Planescape Torment as having worse writing than the majority of Bioware games and criticized Fallout for being short! No-one in their right mind does either of those. The quality of PST’s writing is self evident, and if you really want some examples of its quality compared to Dragon Age’s or Baldur’s Gate or Mass Effect I can gladly get you some. As for Fallout, yeah it’s short, but the possibilities are endless, and complaining about a game’s length is like complaining about a movie’s or a books. It’s retarded. What matters is the quality. I mean, just imagine this conversation."

What utter bullshit. I claimed PST's writing was OVERRATED not 'worse than most of BIO's games'. And stating that FO is short for a RPG is a FACT. Doesn't change the fact that FO is awesome. Abnd, LOTS of Codexers have said the same thing. Why? Because, it's fuckin' true. Saying FO is not the same as 'hating on it', fucknutz. It also happens tom be along with FO2 one of my favorite games.

Oh yeah, another thing, I guess I'm trying to be non conformist with the Codex when I hate on Bethesda which EVERBODY does on the Codex as well.

LMFAO

Bottom line is ME2 is dumbed down. That's a fact jack, and don't try to make a fuckin', cumback! That doesn't mean I 'dismiss' it. Moron.

Pointing out a game's weaknesses doens't mean dismissing it.

P.S. You are a crybaby too. RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE!B L0LZZZZ

"In conclusion: Mass Effect 2 is everything Mass Effect 1 tried to be and failed. FSS why do you lie?"

Bullshit. ME1 is exactly what it tried to be. ME2 is just a dumbed down version of it. R00fles!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
you do know you are arguing with Volourn right?
Because CrimHead's post struck you as well-written and thought-provoking?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
Jaesun said:
Because Volourn lives in his own world and arguing with him is often futile.

It's still amusing to watch, though.

Pliskin

Arbiter
CrimHead said:
and Zaeed is an utterly worthless addition to the squad

Depends what you go with for yr PC. I found Zaeed to be the second most useful squadie, right after Miranda. What really suprised me, considering Zaeed is a DLC addition, was the amount of "flavor dialogue" he has on various missions: For instance, I took him and Miranda to the Collector ship, and he had more lines than she did.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Pliskin said:
CrimHead said:
and Zaeed is an utterly worthless addition to the squad

Depends what you go with for yr PC. I found Zaeed to be the second most useful squadie, right after Miranda. What really suprised me, considering Zaeed is a DLC addition, was the amount of "flavor dialogue" he has on various missions: For instance, I took him and Miranda to the Collector ship, and he had more lines than she did.

It's fun when ppl claim Zaeed to be underdeveloped companion. If he doesn't have enough filler on-ship dialogs and you can't fuck him - he's bad, bawww. He's fucking ruthless merc who wants nothing but revenge and moar credits. I don't give a slightest fuck if he was molested by his father, raped his sister, sucked brother's cock, killed his favourite kitten for lulz of whatever shitty background writers can come with. He's effective at killing stuff - the only thing that matters.

CrimHead

Scholar
Sceptic said:
Jaesun said:

You know that post of mine you're referring to contains more ideas than all your posts combined, right?

Edit:

Oh for fuck's sake, what is it about idiots constantly claiming that Morrowind scaled enemies to your level?

So uh... You were talking about good writing were you? :smug:

Achilles

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Was it deeper because of the inventory though? I don't think that added much of anything to the experience except tedious selling/destroying. My impression was that ME1 was mostly supposed to be a "cinematic" experience, and selling loot all the time certainly didn't help that.

As for improving but not removing, you don't have a "real" inventory in ME2 anymore but you do get a way to pick up different items anyway, though in a "streamlined" (dumbed down lol) way. So I think improving is what they actually did, though it was not in the Codex approved way.

Well I think it was, in fact, deeper because of the inventory (among other things). The way I see it, it's a good thing when the player has more choices to select from. In ME1, you had a lot of options regarding weapons, mods for those weapons, armor with different stats and effects and so on. You had to put more thought into it (not much, but some), whereas in ME2 the system was reduced to a couple of weapons and almost no armor. This decision took out a layer of complexity that (I feel) was beneficial to the first game.

I won't argue that Bioware didn't try to "improve" the game and, in some areas, they did. I enjoyed playing it, but some of the changes resulted in a shallower experience, more akin to a shooter. Some people say they like that, which is ok. I, however, don't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom